• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm fully well aware Prior started his Test career in almost exactly the same way, but 1) this was a much, much better innings than Prior's against WI and 2) I've always rated Ambrose as (at least potentially) a better batsman than Prior. Better still, he's always seemed to be able to keep and hopefully he'll continue to keep well in Tests. If he starts next season well again in the OD format, hopefully we'll see him in ODIs soon as well.
And as I pointed out before, following a similar path to Prior with the bat really shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing anyway, as he did quite a good job with the bat. Ambrose actually looks quite similar with the bat to Prior for mine - if he can stay up to Prior or above standard with the bat and keep as well as he did in the first Test, he'll have a long Test career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And as I pointed out before, following a similar path to Prior with the bat really shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing anyway, as he did quite a good job with the bat. Ambrose actually looks quite similar with the bat to Prior for mine - if he can stay up to Prior or above standard with the bat and keep as well as he did in the first Test, he'll have a long Test career.
Prior did a good-ish job with the bat in his career, but the uncertainties on my part never went away. I was never, ever convinced of Prior's worth against high-quality seam and swing. As pointed-out, Ambrose is far from faultless in that regard and as I pointed-out earlier he was pretty fortunate in this innings that the swing pretty much stopped after he'd been at the crease for 6 or 7 overs or so, though he played very well to profit from this.

How Ambrose fares against the swinging and seaming ball (when he faces it for more than 20 or so deliveries) waits to be seen, but at least, unlike Prior, his failings seem more technical than to do with shot-selection. And if he can find some way to get his front-foot going better, he could potentially stop the problems he gets when the ball that moves away from him squares him up, resulting in falling over to the off and sometimes playing further inside the line of the ball than he's aiming. Prior, really, I think will always be a lost cause as he simply plays too many shots, and against the swinging ball that's almost always a recipe for disaster. And players like that don't often get much better. Ambrose at least has shown he is capable of playing patiently when required. And that's something I've known about him ever since I first saw him bat and known he had over Prior, and that's why I was so disappointed (and surprised) that Prior outperformed him between 2002 and 2005.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As the saying goes, one swallow does not make a summer. A perfectly decent innings, but given that his form cascaded from the 2nd test against the WI onwards in both forms of the game i don't think that one inning changes much especially when you consider the mediocrity that followed thereafter.
Well, personally I don't think 9, 68, 0, 28, 37, 134 (his scores in the Third and Fourth WI and First India Tests) are too bad really. And while it didn't really matter a great deal whether England lost or drew the Third Test against India, he did play the major part in saving it, though I didn't watch a single ball of that innings so I don't really know how good it was.

Pietersen has simply found ways - no consistency in them - to get out this winter. He certainly hasn't played dreadfully, but he hasn't been up to the levels we expect from him. Maybe this is just a blip. If he were to smash 150 in the second-innings of this Test I'm sure much would be forgiven.
I think Pietersen's issue really is that now that he is capable of playing in 2 different gears (which is a remarkable feat), he finds himself unsure as to which gear to push in many situations, which has affected both his ODI and test form.
Yes, agree with that very much. Pietersen's best innings have almost all come when he's started in low gear and moved up them at just the right time. The frustrating thing recently is the fact he's found ways to get out often around the time you'd expect him to start doing so, which has given some people the impression he's not playing aggressively enough.
I also find it a little hard to fathom why he has removed the slog sweep from his armory over the last couple of years. Whilst risky, I firmly believe that anyone who is capable of playing the shot well has the crucial ability to unsettle bowlers as well as hit the ball in unusual spaces on the ground. Watching Pietersen let bowlers like Vettori and Patel dictate proceedings to him as they did in Hamilton really makes him look like a shadow of the player that has dominated 2 of the greatest spinners in the history of the game.
Pretty much agree with that too. Memory isn't faultless enough to remember how often he used it, especially against Muralitharan (remember more cases of him skipping down the pitch, but those strokes are naturally more memorable so that doesn't neccessarily mean much), but he is certainly capable of playing the shot well. Vettori isn't always the easiest bowler to sweep due to his change of pace, but Patel can be dealt with that way.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ambrose actually looks quite similar with the bat to Prior for mine .
They look very similar at the crease. Both have the exagerrated pointed left elbow and have quite a forced look.

Obviously, there could be a link with the amount of cricket they played together and the coaches they shared.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barmy ***** = More money than sense, more annoying than a combination of Richard, Jonathan Millmow and Herpes and less pleasant than a cross of Harold Shipman and Andrew Symonds with all the good grace of G.G. Allin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barmy ***** = More money than sense, more annoying than a combination of Richard, Jonathan Millmow and Herpes and less pleasant than a cross of Harold Shipman and Andrew Symonds with all the good grace of G.G. Allin.
Hurt to be compared to the Barmy ***** TBH.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got me a new laptop so can post while watching for the first time in ages...hope to see Ambrose get to three figures!!! :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The pitch looked flattish when the showed it in the pitch report. Looking forward to a good day of test cricket, whatever happens.