• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ironically, this collapse may help NZs chance of a result, especially if they can get a lead of 280ish

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not often you see a Test where on the close of day 4 it could go in any direction, probably the most exciting cricket I've seen since Sanga's played the best innings I've ever seen vs. Aus and threatened to chase the runs pretty much by himself.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Great comback by England, but we're still the underdogs id say, wont be easy to chase 280 + and knowing us we'll let NZ's last 3 wickets add 100 or so :blink: . Still favoring a draw myself. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not often you see a Test where on the close of day 4 it could go in any direction, probably the most exciting cricket I've seen since Sanga's played the best innings I've ever seen vs. Aus and threatened to chase the runs pretty much by himself.
Dunno, plenty of Tests are like that these days it seems. Obviously not diminishing the excitement of this Test....

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dunno, plenty of Tests are like that these days it seems. Obviously not diminishing the excitement of this Test....
Yet more often due to farcical decisions than the merits of the actual playing. Draws vs. Wins seems to be often yet to have the whole spread of win/lose/draw still there going into the fifth day (and possibly even the 3rd session of tomorrow) is rare in my experience.

biased indian

International Coach
Great, not being shown in India. Anyone have any idea how I can watch this? Some paid online feed or something?
i was surprised why they are not showing this specially with ESPN STAR having the rights
and they have one channel dedicated for cricket alone !!!!!!!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Predictably the boys fall apart on the 4th day. Unless the spinners can hang around for an hour tomorrow morning and then perform some wonders with the ball, this will be yet another spectacular loss for Bracewell to put into his scrap book. Must say though, it does seem a tad bit unfair, with England driving any interest out of the match for 2 days before the kiwi's, rightfully showing some attacking intent, and it probably costing them the match.

Flem274*

123/5
I believe dear Phlegm you had the same sentiments about Ryder opening as you do about Taylor at 3.

IMO he has the goods and has the flair needed for that position, I think if we back him there he will show us that he deserves the spot, and due to his relatively short career I think it very harsh to judge him on past efforts due to the fact he is still a very young man and his best years should be ahead of him. You also seem to forget @ 3 he scored that superb century vs. Sri Lanka and is in fact most successful at that position in the one day game.

Wrapping him in a safety blanket is what will ruin him and turn him into a McMillan-esque waste of talent.

I think McCullum could be a potentially fantastic option as a Test opener as he also appears to one of the fittest cricket players out there. Of course in the longer form of the game this is harder to do but I think that McCullum would be able to adapt to the physical side of this role even if no one else can. But this is just a potential option and if Guptill or anyone else steps up the way How has then I'd be happy to see them take that other spot.
Taylor is a good ODI number three, but to my knowledge he has never batted at three for CD in a FC game. His domestic record is hardly fantastic, I suspect his double hundred inflates that average somewhat. He's improved massively no doubt, but he has a long way to go before he's a test class number three, let him serve his apprenticeship before we start shifting him around the order.

WRT McCullum no, just no. ODI opener yes but the slot at seven is his IMO. I'm going to back Guptill and the other domestic openers to make the step up. I can see McCullum being royally ****ed if he has to open on the fourth or fifth day in the second innings after all the time he's spent in the park. Would ruin him IMO. He also hasn't found his feet in tests yet. ODIs he knows his game but I feel he's still coming to terms with the spot at seven.

As for Ryder I remain unconvinced, **** all footwork and and a decrease in luck could expose him in the future. Personally I want How opening in ODIs, that How-McCullum pertnership was outstanding so I don't know why they changed it. At number three Ryder can still influence the innings during the powerplays and he's protected from nasty exposing swing bowlers. At three he can learn how to bat in different situations as well which would benefit him greatly. I'd have Taylor, as potentially the best batsman, at four.

Though Ryder shouldn't walk back into the side, he should get some runs under his belt first otherwise he may be undercooked.

Flem274*

123/5
Disappointing collapse today but the intent was good. I'm going to reserve judgement on our performance until England bat. I suspect it was a mix of too much attack and the pitch starting to deteriorate.

invisibleman18

Cricket Spectator
Hi there,

I'm and English fan living in Auckland. Looks like it could be a great 5th day tomorrow so I've decided to go. Never been there before so I don't really know where to aim for in terms of parking.
Is there anyone on here who has been there or knows where I'll be able to park near the stadium?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Will be very ironic if Englands 'go slow' in their first innings to avoid losing the game deprives them of enough time to chase a total down and win.

Looks a fine performance by Sidebottom.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Who the **** does McCullum think he is? I'm tired of commentators calling him "world class" and going on about him, when he clearly still does not have a clue if he isn't chasing a target or batting in Tests.

Well done, Fleming, you've got out for the 40th time after you looked set. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You won't average 40, because you're simply not good enough, and you're a bad example for younger players.

It's just like us to blow a commanding lead. What's really bad is that it doesn't even surprise me. I look for the collapse; I know it's coming.

Frustrated.