• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Athlai

Not Terrible
Colly drops Fleming, thats gotta hurt. His bowling has been rather impressive you have to say, besides Sidearse he's been the pick of the lot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand's gotta get a leg on in the final session if they're to have any chance of forcing a result. You'd have to say 4.5 an over during the final session is a bare minimum. I say if How goes, definately promote McCullum, with permission to play one of his standard ODI/T20 innings.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We can bring up 300 by the end of the day IMO. 4.1 an over from here seems do-able though I guess it all depends on what the captain thinks is the best course of action. If How rotates the strike, Fleming plays more strokes all from the word go then we'll know what the suggested course of action is. Also curious as to who will be the next man in, personally I would want any of Taylor Oram or McCullum and think we should aim for as many runs as possible in this final session and declare overnight.

Very interesting stuff.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I come back from Snowboarding to see that Mr Taylor has scored a century. :D

And funnily enough, Mr Perm has not showed himself in this thread since. Grow some balls mate!

Well done POOS for not hiding like a girl (Y)

Looks like this test is petering out to a draw though huh.

Flem274*

123/5
Good to have you back Athlai, though I disagree whole-heartedly with me being knee jerk about Taylor. I always said he wasn't great at tests and his wonderful FC average of 36, his previous high score in tests of 17, his previous inability to play straight, and the fact at time of opinion Fulton>Taylor is multiple day cricket by a few thousand light years reinforced my judgement.:happy:

Smarmy little ****, learning patience and how to play straight after I didn't rate him grrr grrr...

I've been keeping my mouth relatively shut recently and I now pass on the mantle of knee jerk Kiwi to.........Matt52, after his suggestion we should replace Bell, who ****ed up in his first dig, with a number 5 who has never opened before, Rob Nicol.:laugh:

Fleming to score at least fifty this innings, can't wait for Harmison to get a decent spell, lets see what he's made of.

EDIT: To defend my self from the knee jerky ness WRT Taylor again, (I know what some smartarse will reply with) Taylor will need a few more innings like his hundred to show he's clicked at test level.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
We can bring up 300 by the end of the day IMO. 4.1 an over from here seems do-able though I guess it all depends on what the captain thinks is the best course of action. If How rotates the strike, Fleming plays more strokes all from the word go then we'll know what the suggested course of action is. Also curious as to who will be the next man in, personally I would want any of Taylor Oram or McCullum and think we should aim for as many runs as possible in this final session and declare overnight.

Very interesting stuff.
I'd go for McCullum, personally find it funny that he takes everyone to the cleaners with ease recently, they just can't get rid of him on our midget grounds.:laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
South Africa is a hard tour and 2 Tests was hardly enough to judge him on when the entire team was in disarray. Injuries and sickness left right and centre, new captaincy, McMillans retirement and the whole Kiwi team played poorly.

Not playing him against bangers was a travesty.

Though on a wider note I maintain, Taylor to take Flemings spot at 3. His flair makes him ideal for the spot. Ryder and Fulton at 4 and 5, either way I think this is the best position for them both. How to open forever.

Bell to get dropped after not scoring significantly against England home and away. So who's to take that spot? That my friends is my current biggest worry. Perhaps it's not impossible to imagine in 2 years time How and McCullum will open both forms of the game, but at the moment that is not desirable.

On the rest of the team, I've been very happy with Martin, Mills, Vettori, Patel and Oram in the bowling department. Mason is a great sub and the return of Franklin will only bolster the side, Gillespie is okay but I think a few members rate him a little too highly in the longer form of the game due to a few lucky wickets (along with some deserved) . O'Brien gets an unfair rap on here, he is a decent sub yet definitely not a NZ frontliner, certainly formidable on Kiwi surfaces and I good see him doing well in England to an extent.

Southee and Hay should be the next Black Caps IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd go for McCullum, personally find it funny that he takes everyone to the cleaners with ease recently, they just can't get rid of him on our midget grounds.:laugh:
I think overplaying McCullum could be a risky move considering he's also our keeper in all forms of the game. But by God he's been the best cricketer of this season in my books.

Flem274*

123/5
South Africa is a hard tour and 2 Tests was hardly enough to judge him on when the entire team was in disarray. Injuries and sickness left right and centre, new captaincy, McMillans retirement and the whole Kiwi team played poorly.

Not playing him against bangers was a travesty.

Though on a wider note I maintain, Taylor to take Flemings spot at 3. His flair makes him ideal for the spot. Ryder and Fulton at 4 and 5, either way I think this is the best position for them both. How to open forever.

Bell to get dropped after not scoring significantly against England home and away. So who's to take that spot? That my friends is my current biggest worry. Perhaps it's not impossible to imagine in 2 years time How and McCullum will open both forms of the game, but at the moment that is not desirable.

On the rest of the team, I've been very happy with Martin, Mills, Vettori, Patel and Oram in the bowling department. Mason is a great sub and the return of Franklin will only bolster the side, Gillespie is okay but I think a few members rate him a little too highly in the longer form of the game due to a few lucky wickets (along with some deserved) . O'Brien gets an unfair rap on here, he is a decent sub yet definitely not a NZ frontliner, certainly formidable on Kiwi surfaces and I good see him doing well in England to an extent.

Southee and Hay should be the next Black Caps IMO.
You're very lucky that you're an established member, if you were new I'd suspect you were Psxpro and half the forum would get stuck into some of those sentiments.:p

Firstly, Taylor is not a test number 3. Never has been in FC and never will be. He is a number 5 really. He's improved but number 3 in tests I can see him being ruined.

We could judge him based on how he played, which to be blunt, was dumbly. Tests aren't ODIs.

Jamie How:cool:

McCullum opening? Erm no. Unless you can find another world class wicket keeper. He does have to do some keeping you know.

Guptill will move into open in a couple of years IMO.

the bowling I agree with but I prefer Mason to Martin in ODIs.

Hay=yes

Southee=next year against WI

Athlai

Not Terrible
I believe dear Phlegm you had the same sentiments about Ryder opening as you do about Taylor at 3.

IMO he has the goods and has the flair needed for that position, I think if we back him there he will show us that he deserves the spot, and due to his relatively short career I think it very harsh to judge him on past efforts due to the fact he is still a very young man and his best years should be ahead of him. You also seem to forget @ 3 he scored that superb century vs. Sri Lanka and is in fact most successful at that position in the one day game.

Wrapping him in a safety blanket is what will ruin him and turn him into a McMillan-esque waste of talent.

I think McCullum could be a potentially fantastic option as a Test opener as he also appears to one of the fittest cricket players out there. Of course in the longer form of the game this is harder to do but I think that McCullum would be able to adapt to the physical side of this role even if no one else can. But this is just a potential option and if Guptill or anyone else steps up the way How has then I'd be happy to see them take that other spot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
When Fleming brings up 7000 he also brings up a career average of 40 (assuming that he gets out this innings, if he doesn't he already had the 40+ ).

Athlai

Not Terrible
In my neck of the woods are you now, Athers. Are you going to the test match at the Basin??
You couldn't keep me away. Some excellent student deals going around.

I'll be holding up some ridiculous sign probably about Jesse "Jesus" (as he's known around the halls) Ryder.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll be there; 5 day passes for $60!! Can't say no. I probably have to work on Thursday, Friday and Monday, so Saturday and Sunday willl have to suffice; with maybe the last hour's play on Thursday & Friday.

I'll be there with my missus and a few mates. Should be good if I can keep away from the barmy ****ing army.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Might see you there on the weekend then.

Sidearse seems to be the only bowler troubling us at the moment.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Outstanding, stunning catch from Matthew Hoggard. Glad he decided to do something after his poor bowling stints. Round of applause for that fielder. :thumbup: