• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

JBH001

International Regular
Due to having been at Uni for the last three days I have not been able to watch any of the cricket, but is there something in the pitch? Match reports on days 1 - 2 gave me to understand that the wicket was generally good for batting, and NZ finished with a run-rate of about 3.5 or so. So why is England batting so turgidly? Almost makes me glad that I am not watching this seemingly painful exhibition. Or is the bowling that good?

In any case, am heading down to the Tron for the weekend. So will probably catch some of the play live tomorrow or on Sunday.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Atherton & Bumble were harsh on Patel there. They said his wicket taking delivery didn't turn, but it did, very slightly. Just enough to take the edge in fact.

KP has livened things up somewhat, anyway. Which, from a trying to stay awake point of view is good; but from an English point of view I hope he uses discretion in his attacking intent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Atherton & Bumble were harsh on Patel there. They said his wicket taking delivery didn't turn, but it did, very slightly. Just enough to take the edge in fact.
Funny thing... it turned in, and hit the outside-edge. :mellow:

Basically, Vaughan was expecting it to turn big and it turned little.

Strauss looking better here to me than he has for a long time. *Cue him playing a woeful shot and back to the pavilion* I can't recall the last time I saw him look so unflustered. This pitch isn't exactly turning viciously, though. Sterner challenges await.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Due to having been at Uni for the last three days I have not been able to watch any of the cricket, but is there something in the pitch? Match reports on days 1 - 2 gave me to understand that the wicket was generally good for batting, and NZ finished with a run-rate of about 3.5 or so. So why is England batting so turgidly? Almost makes me glad that I am not watching this seemingly painful exhibition. Or is the bowling that good?
NZ have bowled in the right areas, England have (sensibly IMO) not looked to force the pace. The pitch has been one that's made getting the batsmen out if they play circumspectly very difficult indeed. But spinners especially could really do damage aplenty if batsmen try to hit out at them. A pitch good for accumulative batting, but not expansive batting. If the bowlers pitch in the right areas, scoring isn't easy, though there's little danger.

New Zealand have bowled far better than England, Sidebottom aside, though. Hoggard was poor, Harmison awful APU. Patel has been pretty good, and Mills, Martin and Oram all decent enough. And Vettori has so far outbowled MSP, even though he hasn't taken a wicket yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss goooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee straight after Lunch. What was I saying about him going nicely against spin? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss bowled first over after lunch :( big trouble now
That was a fantastic bit of bowling, though - looped and dipped, Strauss completely beaten for length, and then made use of that by turning through the gate onto the stumps.

And let's hope Bell's OK. Still need 110 to avoid the follow-on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looks like Pietersen is thinking to take the game to Vettori and JP now. Hold onto yo hats. And personally, get your heart into your mouth.

Pietersen almost run-out, out of his ground and the ball fingertipped centimetres wide of the stumps.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Two spinners thriving for New Zealand in a test match in New Zealand. Who would have guessed that straight off the tops of their heads.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeys, Pietersen must've been pretty damn close to lbw there. Maybe a fraction high. Yeah, seems a bit high.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
These slips are too deep. On a pitch this slow, they have to be virtually under the wicketkeeper's nose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damn right. We've no chance of winning this match. It'd be mad to try.

TBH, this pitch appears to be starting to turn a bit now. And if I were a betting person, I'd stick a bit on NZ right now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dunno about anyone else, but this is the first time this match has truly been gripping. Real intensity out there now. Guess it's the fact we're reaching the halfway-mark, and one team are on top but yet to assert true dominance.

Until now it's just seemed to be meandering along with no real bite.

Vettori getting the odd one to turn now.