• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting, a noise as How plays and doesn't middle Hoggard but neither bowler nor wicketkeeper appeal. :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This'll inevitably look awful if he gets out in a second which could quite conceivably happen but... Fleming looking extremely good here. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This'll inevitably look awful if he gets out in a second which could quite conceivably happen but... Fleming looking extremely good here. :)
Technically he is looking ordinary but he seems to have so much time. Looks in good form and has an eternity to watch the ball onto the bat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right, MSP on. Now we see how much this surface is gonna turn.

BTW Kev - who's that avatar? Incidentally, Fleming only fairly rarely looks technically convincing, to me at least. The impressive thing about him has always been the look of class he shows, which has certainly been on display so far today.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Strange that Harmison and Sidebottom are apparently bowling at nearly the same pace, any explanation cos I have always assumed rom the hype that Harmison was a 90+ mph bowler.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange that Harmison and Sidebottom are apparently bowling at nearly the same pace, any explanation cos I have always assumed rom the hype that Harmison was a 90+ mph bowler.
Score please?

When I read your post, I thought you said "a 90+ mph howler", which may or may not be appropriate :).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He can be. He is bowling way below top pace at the moment. Attitude and action issues.

I dont think they are terminal though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simply that bowlers don't always bowl at the same speed. Harmison more often than not will bowl a fair bit quicker than Sidebottom, but Sidebottom has been a fraction up on his normal speed and Harmison 10mph or so down on his highest speeds.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
BTW Kev - who's that avatar? Incidentally, Fleming only fairly rarely looks technically convincing, to me at least. The impressive thing about him has always been the look of class he shows, which has certainly been on display so far today.
John Jackson. Interesting life

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right, MSP on. Now we see how much this surface is gonna turn.
See if Monty can avoid getting cut, as he is prone to be
Well in his whole 2 overs so far, there's 1 ball that's turned a bit (though not as much as How made it look like it had) and there's been nothing short. Good start.

Now Collingwood on. Never a particularly good sign when a part-timer is on in the first session of a Test, but Collingwood isn't the worst. FFS, "Collingwood isn't even slow-medium" according to Martin Crowe - he bowls close to 80mph!!!!!!

I hate people who judge bowler speeds on something other than the speed they bowl at.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, after plenty of swing in the first 4 or so overs, that's been a very, very bad session indeed for us. Not merely the lack of any form of bite from the bowlers for most of the time, but far more significantly that Bell injury.

I can't ever recall a player being injured so early in a series. I hope we get the X-ray result sooner rather than later.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, decent start from Monty. Will need to get more threatening as the Test progresses but did his job well in that first session.

Depressing to think that the first session of the first day of a test a spinner is on bowling flat and defensively. But hey.

Will be a tough grind for both sides.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a good way of working out bowlers form is the pace they are mostly operating at, Hoggard was about 3-4mph off and seemed to be bowling an awful lot of cutters especially to Fleming, Harmison was also a good 5mph down, I'd have thought that the wicket he took would have pushed his pace and aggression up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sheeysh, that's much better than it looked. Seemed like quite a nasty injury at first, and you don't often get a bash like that and emerge relatively unscathed either.

Shocking start after lunch incidentally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How To Take Your Time Getting To A Test Half-Century by Jamie How. I guess having never reached the mark before you can forgive his slight nervousness, and maybe even over-caution. The bowling's been good from the 3rd over after lunch tho.