• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Having watched Australia field like they did in the ODI against India this morning, I hope England take their fielding to another level today. Good, sharp fielding really can set the tone for the bowling side, and I'm looking at players like Collingwood, Pietersen and Bell in particular to be right on top of NZ, giving them nothing easy and making them earn every run (tight bowling of course helps here),
Clarke and Symonds were awesome in the field, throwing themselves around, combining well, and forcing opportunities for run outs that left even Mark Nicholas struggling for superlatives!!
Different game, Test cricket, of course, but good fielding never hurt anyone indeed.
Well, the early signs aren't promising: Harmison, Vaughan and MSP in the covers. :mellow: Possibly the worst ring I've ever seen.

Atherton offering comparisons with 1994\95, when as now the best athletes are the best catchers, and Gooch, Gatting and Malcolm were in the ring.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like how Hoggard's going so far - making sure to mix-up all he has the power to mix-up.

Bell and How are also playing well, taking good strides to most deliveries.

BTW Liam - why the Ryder avatar?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Watchful stuff from the NZ openers. 6/0 from 6 overs.

Sidebottom appreciably quicker than Hoggard nowadays. Can't be too many quicks who get faster as they get older.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not umpiring this one... am I? If so, I'm in the wrong City and need to get up to Shamilton pretty quickly.
No, you're not, as I imagine you'd probably be Deceptively D-ire Dreadful Davis. I was talking about Steve Davis. We have two Australians, both of whom are renowned for their dubious decision-making.

Woodster

International Captain
Well, the early signs aren't promising: Harmison, Vaughan and MSP in the covers. :mellow: Possibly the worst ring I've ever seen.

Atherton offering comparisons with 1994\95, when as now the best athletes are the best catchers, and Gooch, Gatting and Malcolm were in the ring.
Couldn't believe when I saw Harmy swooping at cover point!!
Colly in the slips, KP in gully and Belly at short leg means there are plenty of singles on offer for NZ!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sidebottom appreciably quicker than Hoggard nowadays. Can't be too many quicks who get faster as they get older.
Sidebottom was never slow, but there's almost no doubt Hoggard's recent injury troubles have slowed him down a little.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So do I, s'matter of fact. :mellow: Can't recall where exactly, but I had indeed thought Sidebottom had lost pace perminantly (definately saw him struggling to hit 75mph at the end of a long day in 2005) having been bowling in the mid-80s in 1999 and 2001.

But he hasn't, evidently.

First boundary of the innings, day, match and series. Unconvincing mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hoggard and Sidebottom not making maximum use of this swing TBH, far too much too wide.

Bob Willis putting out the usual Sky rubbish about why Harmison (who is and always has been, even in his stupidly good spell in early 2004, useless with the new-ball) should bowl with the new-ball. Nasser Hussain injecting an amount of sense.

And there's the 2nd boundary, Bell's 1st. Followed immediately by another from How, best shot of the day by far.