• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Woodster

International Captain
It seems a strange option to play Strauss at three and not one I would be particular in favour of. The continuation of a left hand, right hand combination is all well and good but at what price.

Disappointed Shah is not getting another chance, but am happy Tremlett is getting one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anyhooo..on the subject of cricket...England's team for tomorrow has been named

MP Vaughan (Yorkshire, capt), AN Cook (Essex), AJ Strauss (Middlesex), KP Pietersen (Hampshire), IR Bell (Warwickshire), PD Collingwood (Durham), TR Ambrose (Warwickshire, wkt), CT Tremlett (Hampshire), MJ Hoggard (Yorkshire), SJ Harmison (Durham), MS Panesar (Northamptonshire).

So Strauss and no Shah...i hope this next bit is wrong but

"Shah impressed by scoring 96 in the two-day match against an Invitational side earlier this week but the selectors have decided to choose Strauss to bat at number three.

That means a continuation of the opening partnership between Alastair Cook and Michael Vaughan, which has been intact from Sri Lanka. "

Seems really strange if Vaughan's preference is to bat at 3 as people have previously intimated. I assume it would change your opinion Richard on the Strauss/Shah issue if Vaughan was opening regardless.

Tremlett given a shot as well, seems they aren't overly impressed with Wayward's form atm.
That simply is beyond reason. WTF is the point in playing Strauss if he's not going to open?

Yeah, goes without saying that Shah at three > Strauss at three.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Here's what the man himself has to say.. (from the official ECB site)

"The thinking behind it is that Alastair and myself are quite similar players in a way and that possibly makes it easier for bowlers to settle into a rhythm against two very similar styles of batsman," explained Strauss, who averaged just 35 as a partnership with Cook in 14 Tests as openers together.

"Alastair and Vaughany seemed to work as an opening combination pretty well in Sri Lanka and they are also very different types of players as well."

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Here's what the man himself has to say.. (from the official ECB site)

"The thinking behind it is that Alastair and myself are quite similar players in a way and that possibly makes it easier for bowlers to settle into a rhythm against two very similar styles of batsman," explained Strauss, who averaged just 35 as a partnership with Cook in 14 Tests as openers together.

"Alastair and Vaughany seemed to work as an opening combination pretty well in Sri Lanka and they are also very different types of players as well."
Cant argue with that tbh, but still Shah should be in over Strauss. Interesting that Anderson isnt picked, and i assume it will be Tremlett who drops out if Sidebottom is fit come first test.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Vaughan get's a second ball duck.

Strauss out for 5.

That man O'brien doin the damage!

Perhaps the English batsmen are giving him their wickets to ensure he plays the tests.

17/2

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hahaaa.

Christ, O'Brien will probably play in the tests now. Hopefully Gillespie can come back with the rest of the wickets...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Strauss making a pretty solid case for Shah, it must be said.

Looks like the test XI with Tremlett in for the semi-crocked Siders tho.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh for crying out loud. I reckon England are just playing badly against O'Brien so he'll make the first test. Good tactics.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think someone has mentioned this before but I cannot understand NZ Cricket's fascination with Mark Orchard. He looks a decent first class player at best.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jeez. 91/5. This could be embarrassing. :ph34r:

Solid figures for this Elliott geezer: 2/11 off 6.3 overs. Listed at 6 in the NZ line up too, so am I correct in assuming he's an all-rounder of sorts? He well thought of in NZ?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez. 91/5. This could be embarrassing. :ph34r:

Solid figures for this Elliott geezer: 2/11 off 6.3 overs. Listed at 6 in the NZ line up too, so am I correct in assuming he's an all-rounder of sorts? He well thought of in NZ?
South African born batting all rounder. He's a similar bowler to Styris or Collingwood, so one supposes the pitch must either be rubbish or England must be batting like crap (perhaps more likely) if his figures are that good. But he's been in solid form for Wellington (was their player of the year last season) for the last couple of years, so he's probably pretty close to selection, especially for the ODI squad. I'd be pretty surprised if he made it into the test team, but with Styris gone, he could be a worthy replacement.