• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As far as the controversial 3rd umpire call goes, I'm not bothered. Personally I find it ridiculous that the rules say the batsman should be out in that instance - he made his ground comfortably; whether his bat was in the air after it crossed the line is academic really. A technicality.
Its actually not a technicality though, its clearly written in the rules that the bat needs to be grounded.

Otherwise every stumping with the foot in the air shouldn't be given.

The third umpire error was huge.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, anyone being listening to the radio? There's some real gems on there. Some bloke has decided Vettori is rubbish and gets it easy and should be dropped.8-)

Also, the third umpire Evan Watkins rang in-yes rang in himself, wasn't rung- and admitted he made a mistake with the Vettori run out. Good to see he has some integrity, not all umpires would do that I feel.
WoW, can't imagine anyone doing that over here. Good on Evan, though.

Either way, a little annoyed I chose to take myself to bed, but I literally fell asleep seconds after the end of the game. I forget how tiring staying-up most of the night when you're not out\in drinking is.

Luke Wright bowling the last over and not losing the game is little short of hilarious, really, though 8-)worthy at the same time. It does worry me that he'll now get another 17 games to be useless because he'll probably have "something about him" for the next year.

New Zealand should be disappointed they didn't win this after getting it down to barely a-run-a-ball with, what, 7 overs left. But let's not forget what happened last time a ODI tie felt like a victory to England. Lost 4 of the next 5, and it would've been 5 out of 5 but for rain.

BTW, who still thinks Vettori made a mistake in inserting England? I never did, and still don't. Chasing was always the thing to do on this ground, even if NZ only ended-up doing it semi-successfully. Even though they botched the last bit - and not, I don't think, through bad strategy, Fulton never had a better chance than today, simply through inept batting at the end - it was still a brilliant effort from the halfway point to get even the tie.

Oh yeah - I presume it was an issue at my end BTW boss, CricInfo was behaving the same way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
48 - Sidebottom
49 - Mascarenhas
50 - Anderson?
Like your guesswork Einstein. :p Shame no-one could've possibly guessed Wright to bowl.

BTW, on the note of bowling, what a terrific performance from Sidebottom. The only bowler to bowl anything other than abysmally last night. Deserves far more credit than Wright for earning the tie.

James

Cricket Web Owner
BTW, on the note of bowling, what a terrific performance from Sidebottom. The only bowler to bowl anything other than abysmally last night. Deserves far more credit than Wright for earning the tie.
Sidebottom was superb I agree, he got those yorkers working really well. Amazing how a bowler of his quality has been left out of the side for this long.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Luke Wright bowling the last over and not losing the game is little short of hilarious, really, though 8-)worthy at the same time. It does worry me that he'll now get another 17 games to be useless because he'll probably have "something about him" for the next year.
Does he do any death bowling for Sussex? Personally I think don't think he should be anywhere near the England team, but it was a pretty decent over and his death bowling does appear to have some sort of potential given the way he bowls.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Does he do any death bowling for Sussex? Personally I think don't think he should be anywhere near the England team, but it was a pretty decent over and his death bowling does appear to have some sort of potential given the way he bowls.
No, he hardly bowls. Sussex usually get a few overs out of him in the middle period (max). Wright said he thought Colly was joking when he asked him to bowl.

James

Cricket Web Owner
This England ODI team looks as though it's going places, and has a good balance I tend to think. The selectors just need to retain the faith and they'll move up the ODI ladder. Especially when/if you throw Flintoff back into the mix.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling attack needs a genuine wicket taker and the only one we have is currently playing in India as a batsman. Also Bell and Cook need up their strike rates, currently is not good enough. Prerequisite nowadays should be at least 75.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Unable to defend 340 is extremely sad :@ But at least we managed to pull our finger out at the end and salvage a draw.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Unable to defend 340 is extremely sad :@ But at least we managed to pull our finger out at the end and salvage a draw.
Yup. Admittedly I didn't see a single delivery, but Anderson's figures are dire once again. Who else is in the squad - Tremlett maybe?

Collingwood's innings sounds amazing. Again. Must be something about the Antipoean late summers that appeals to him.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Really thought it was a done deal when I went to bed after England's innings tbh, probably too tired to notice quite how much of a road it was. Always love me a good tie though.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Its actually not a technicality though, its clearly written in the rules that the bat needs to be grounded.

Otherwise every stumping with the foot in the air shouldn't be given.

The third umpire error was huge.
I did actually point out that I understand what the rule is, I just think the rule is silly. It's not the same situation as a stumping as you've mentioned it - Vettori did complete the run by crossing the line with his bat grounded. AFAIC it's nitpicking to give someone out in that instance simply because their bat bounced a wee way into the air afterward. Fair enough if he'd never grounded the bat, but he did. Just my POV anyway, I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We should've won that game. Good bowling by Sidebottom, an over from Anderson, and Wright kept us out. Vettori's batting was poor, and How just couldn't get enough strike at the end.

cbuts

International Debutant
Vetorri should be shot after that game. Incredibly selfish batting - he just wanted to be the hero and hit the winning runs

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Vetorri should be shot after that game. Incredibly selfish batting - he just wanted to be the hero and hit the winning runs
Were you watching? He got some incredibly superb death bowling served up to him. It wasn't his fault.