• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am predicting KP to come right with a big score. England imo will have to play Dimitri at the expense of Bopara and if I was in charge Luke Wright would replace an out of sorts looking Ian Bell.
It truly alarms me that there honestly does seem to be serious consensus to replace a batsman (albeit a totally out-of-nick one) with a bowler.

Wright for Bopara would make more sense (and even then, Wright playing ODIs is crazy).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pollock was the only bowler who bowled more maidens in ODIs than Anderson last year.

Buchannan was saying he wanted his bowlers to bowl an average of 55% dot balls in the World Cup.

Clark - 85.40 ( bowled in only 1 match)
Tait - 70.61
Bracken - 68.60
McGrath 65.15
Hodge - 63.88 (bowled in only 1 match)
Hogg - 61.36
Watson - 60.29
Clarke - 49.01
Symonds - 42.53

Anderson - 71.98
Flintoff - 66.66
Mahmood - 64.58
Plunkett -61.59
Panesar - 57.55
Dalrymple - 55.00
Collingwood - 51.43

Against India in 7 ODIs Anderson took 14 wickets at 22.57. That wasn't too long ago and in the 2 warm up games in NZ
Anderson - 20-1-86-7
Broad - 16-0-94-0
Mascarenhas 17.5-0-77-2
Swann - 13-1-68-0
Sidebottom 10-1-34-2
Thing is, Anderson's World Cup performances were drastically improved by substandard sides. If you look at ODI-class sides only, he was abysmal bar, IIRR, 1 game.

Anderson's figures in the summer of 2007 looked quite good, but in truth he was grossly flattered, and bowled particularly well just 3 times out of 10, once against West Indies and in the First and Seventh games against India. And he's bowled abysmally in the ODIs this winter, even if he did go nicely in those meaningless 13-a-side games.

FBU

International Debutant
Thing is, Anderson's World Cup performances were drastically improved by substandard sides. If you look at ODI-class sides only, he was abysmal bar, IIRR, 1 game.

Anderson's figures in the summer of 2007 looked quite good, but in truth he was grossly flattered, and bowled particularly well just 3 times out of 10, once against West Indies and in the First and Seventh games against India. And he's bowled abysmally in the ODIs this winter, even if he did go nicely in those meaningless 13-a-side games.
In half of the matches he played his economy was 4.20, 2.90, 4.00, 3.00, 3.80, 3.75, 2.87, 2.30, 3.49, 3.93, 3.11, 3.75, 4.37, 3.30 so I wouldn't say he played well only 3 times out of 10.:)

With regard to the meaningless games I am saying he bowled better than the other bowlers in the squad.

How did he manage to get into the top 15 in the ODI bowling rankings?

Last edited:

garypleavin

Cricket Spectator
How did he manage to get into the top 15 in the ODI bowling rankings?
The ICC Rankings are just an extremely comprehensive form guide and are heavily flawed. Despite this I agree with you completely on James Anderson. James anderson is a match winning bowler and in the summer against an incredible Indian Batting Line up was the best bowler by far (discounting Flintoff's occasional appearances). He is very good economy-wise, can swing the ball at pace, he causes top-order batsmen problems and is an excellent death bowler.
He should definetely play tomorrow ahead of Tremlett who is overrated by many especially in ODI cricket.

FBU

International Debutant
The ICC Rankings are just an extremely comprehensive form guide and are heavily flawed. Despite this I agree with you completely on James Anderson. James anderson is a match winning bowler and in the summer against an incredible Indian Batting Line up was the best bowler by far (discounting Flintoff's occasional appearances). He is very good economy-wise, can swing the ball at pace, he causes top-order batsmen problems and is an excellent death bowler.
He should definetely play tomorrow ahead of Tremlett who is overrated by many especially in ODI cricket.
In the CB series against NZ/Aus 4 matches 8 wickets at 20.63.
Anderson isn't the finished article but he is never going to be if he gets dropped every five minutes. Had Mustard and Shah taken those catches the game would have had a different look. He got McCullum when he was on 0. 8-)

Funny that batsmen can have a bad series but they keep their places.

Bell
Sri Lanka - 14.00
NZ - 2.50

Collingwood
Sri Lanka - 17.00
NZ - 6.50

JBH001

International Regular
weather in auckland is a bit iffy today, lads (been that way for the last couple of days really). dont know that we will be getting a game today, but if we do, highly likely it will be rain affected.

simmy

International Regular
In the CB series against NZ/Aus 4 matches 8 wickets at 20.63.
Anderson isn't the finished article but he is never going to be if he gets dropped every five minutes. Had Mustard and Shah taken those catches the game would have had a different look. He got McCullum when he was on 0. 8-)

Funny that batsmen can have a bad series but they keep their places.

Bell
Sri Lanka - 14.00
NZ - 2.50

Collingwood
Sri Lanka - 17.00
NZ - 6.50
Bell is a test player.... He will end up being the next Michael Vaughan imo.

Also, I think his selection and general conservative "correct" batting puts more pressure on KP.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Does anyone know why the betfair punters are making ENG the favourites?!?
After the initial odds are posted by the bookmaker, the odds are subsequently affected by the bets placed by the punters. So, if a lot of people have put money on England, that will drive down their price.

You see it a lot here, in that NZ sides in the Australian leagues (football, basketball, league, etc) often pay much lower odds than they should because a lot of kiwis put money on them out of fandom, rather than common sense.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After the initial odds are posted by the bookmaker, the odds are subsequently affected by the bets placed by the punters. So, if a lot of people have put money on England, that will drive down their price.

You see it a lot here, in that NZ sides in the Australian leagues (football, basketball, league, etc) often pay much lower odds than they should because a lot of kiwis put money on them out of fandom, rather than common sense.
Betfair is an exchange.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, I don't know what that is. Only the government is allowed to run betting agencies here, so we only have the one.
You bet against other punters and Betfair takes a commission from the bets.

Betfair are trying to get into the NZ market. I hope they succeed...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You bet against other punters and Betfair takes a commission from the bets.

Betfair are trying to get into the NZ market. I hope they succeed...
Only 5%!

Although, there never seems to be much in the way of value on the site, most of the guys are fairly astute and regardless that New Zealand are currently winning the series, it isn’t blind patriotism which dictates such odds but the fact that New Zealand are not particularly good and no one puts money on them, ever.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Off up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire soon, but will try to catch an hour before work if I can be arsed.

I'm curious to see what team we stick out as cricinfo has Dimi in for Bopara (which seems a no-brainer) & Tremlett in for Anderson, which doesn't. Anderson looks out of nick, but Tremlett isn't an ODI bowler IMHO. His natural length is just short of a good length which he doesn't seem to alter much and hasn't shown much variation of pace either when I've seen him (not to mention he's infinitely worse in the field than the athletic Anderson). If McCullum or Slim have their eyes in it could be slaughter.

The Guardain also suggested Tredwell for Swann, but that strikes me as harsh on the latter, given he's hardly bowled in the two games so far. He got a bit of tap, but he was far from alone in that and his decent comeback tour in SL should give him a little credit in the bank.