• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Matt Hayden go down as an all-time great?

Will Matt Hayden go down as an all-time great?

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I find the 'he can't play high quality seam/swing bowling' argument slightly amusing. Not many players can, otherwise it wouldn't be high quality swing/seam bowling. In fact, I'd go as far as to say most players will be undone by a quality bowler moving it around more often than not. At the top of the innings you're facing a new ball in conditions that are usually perfect for doing at least something with the ball...the only way you're not going to get out to a good delivery at any stage of the innings is to get lucky and get something on it, or miss it completely and have it not hit the stumps or your pads plumb in front. Sure, players make runs in conditions where a good bowler is bowling well...however they're usually in survival mode early on and/or lucky on more than one occasion or they spend most of their innings not having to deal with it. Two or more bowlers bowling well in tandem makes it a lot more difficult and it takes a special innings to get through with a decent score.
Word out son, all the prolific batsmen of this 2000's such as Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, Sehwag especially would have questions over their ability to play top-quality fast bowling consistently for me in comparison to batsmen of the 70's, 80's & 90's given the the standard of bowling & pitches that they have faced.

But that doesn't mean they can't play it, they would just take more time to adjust to it. Look at Ponting for example in the 2005 Ashes, since 2001 when he really began establishing himself as the premier batsmen of this era would have never faced bowling of that quality since his debut in 96/97 vs the windies when he wasn't half-the player he was & struggled initially until he played that brilliant knock @ the Oval. That doesn't make him a bad player or should it suggest to us that he can't play the moving ball, its the kind of adjustment all batsmen in this era would have to do but not all would be able to play such an innings under such pressure. Thats why for me Ponting at his current best (looking past his current unlucky run this summer) would score runs in the 70's 80's & 90's.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok, well i mentioned his hundreds vs SA in the 2005/06 season. Not as intimidating as the Ashes quartet nor some of the great bowlers of the 70's, 80's & 90's but it was testing enough in the kind of conditions where people like him, richard etc have argued that Hayden would have fail in.

So i say again based on what i've seen of Hayden post 2005 Ashes i don't see why he wouldn't have scored runs in those era's (since he was certainly more naturally talented than many of the Australian openers post Lawry/Simpson that played in the 70's to 90's) since has proven he can be adaptable. But obviously he wouldn't have been so prolific.
Who know's, Graham Gooch had a comparable start to his test career against some pretty poor attacks and came back to smash the West Indies fast bowlers (and most other attacks) and Hayden is every bit as talented as him

People talk about that era as if it was impossible to score runs - it wasnt

England, India, New Zealand, South Africa and Pakistan (I wont bother commenting on Australia - the world's worst team for some of the eighties) all had attacks and/or bowlers that were extremely mediocre for periods of time whilst SL wasnt around

Plenty of lesser players than Hayden had averages in the mid 40s during that period and to say that a guy with 30 centuries would suddenly be reduced to mediocre/poor is so laughable it's not funny

social

Ok, well i mentioned his hundreds vs SA in the 2005/06 season. Not as intimidating as the Ashes quartet nor some of the great bowlers of the 70's, 80's & 90's but it was testing enough in the kind of conditions where people like him, richard etc have argued that Hayden would have fail in.

So i say again based on what i've seen of Hayden post 2005 Ashes i don't see why he wouldn't have scored runs in those era's (since he was certainly more naturally talented than many of the Australian openers post Lawry/Simpson that played in the 70's to 90's) since has proven he can be adaptable. But obviously he wouldn't have been so prolific.
Who know's, Graham Gooch had a comparable start to his test career against some pretty poor attacks and came back to smash the West Indies fast bowlers (and most other attacks) and Hayden is every bit as talented as him

England, India, New Zealand, South Africa and Pakistan (I wont bother commenting on Australia - the world's worst team for some of the eighties) all had attacks and/or bowlers that were extremely mediocre for periods of time whilst SL wasnt around

Plenty of lesser players than Hayden had averages in the mid 40s during that period and to say that a guy with 30 centuries would suddenly be reduced to mediocre/poor is so laughable it's not funny

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Word out yo, people need to cut him some slack & give him due credit for the top player that he is.

subshakerz

International Coach
I reckon hayden's ``smash the bowler from the front foot`` approach has been adapted more so due to the average opposition bowlers that he has had to faced more so that a reflection of his ability since he has shown post Ashes he can adapt when conditions are tough. So for me based on what i've seen post Ashes i think Hayden could have scored runs in the 70's, 80's & 90's (obviously not as prolific) since i'd reckon he had more naturally ability than many of the Australian openers post Lawry/Simpson..
Except that after the Ashes 2005 he hasnt faced any bowler who could be comparable to the greats in the past three decades. Even against South Africa 2005-6, he faced a good Ntini, a ordinary Nel and a Shaun Pollock who was a shadow of his past glory.

subshakerz

International Coach

You can't just say "well, he probably would have scored runs" when the only few occasions he has faced high quality pace he's been found wanting.

In the 70s/80s, India had Kapil Dev, New Zealand had Hadlee, Pakistan had Imran/Wasim, England had Botham/Willis/Snow/Hendrick, Australia had Lillee/Thomson and West Indies had a whole list of names. There is no comparison between that time and now, or even the 90s.

The bottomline is, when he actually faced high quality pace, he's been made to look ordinary. It's only logical to assume that when placed in an era when quality pace is more abundant, as an opening batsman, this weakness will be exposed more. Had he somehow 'adjusted' to pace after he struggled early in his career, he wouldnt have struggled against Shoaib and the Ashes quartet later on.

Yes, he may have a great career record, but so does Sehwag, and nobody suggests Sehwag is an all-time great.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You know just maybe, there are times when a bowler is made to look ordinary due to good batting.

What is an opening batsmen like Hayden suppose to do to be considered a great player?

Average 62? Score more then 380? Start taking wickets.. 8-)

social

You can't just say "well, he probably would have scored runs" when the only few occasions he has faced high quality pace he's been found wanting.

In the 70s/80s, India had Kapil Dev, New Zealand had Hadlee, Pakistan had Imran/Wasim, England had Botham/Willis/Snow/Hendrick, Australia had Lillee/Thomson and West Indies had a whole list of names. There is no comparison between that time and now, or even the 90s.

The bottomline is, when he was faced high quality pace, he's been made to look ordinary. It's only logical to assume that when placed in an era when quality pace is more abundant, as an opening batsman, this weakness will be exposed more. Had he somehow 'adjusted' to pace after he struggled early in his career, he wouldnt have struggled against Shoaib and the Ashes quartet later on.

Yes, he may have a great career record, but so does Sehwag, and nobody suggests Sehwag is an all-time great.
So he struggled against Shoaib in an innings or two (remember the latter basically refused to bowl after the firt innings in Melbourne) and encountered Eng during a form slump

6 tests out of 80 since he has been unquestionably the best opener in the world

That proves what exactly?

India had Kapil and nobody

Pak had Wasim and Waqar (the latter was generally very average in Australia) and nobody

The Eng attack you mentioned was hardly terrifying (savaged consistently by Greenidge and Haynes - both lesser players than Hayden) nor did they play together for more than a couple of tests

NZ with Bond is better than anything from Hadlee's era

SA's attack is comparable

Murali is arguably a better bowler than anyone from that era

Only WI had 4 top bowlers

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Except that after the Ashes 2005 he hasnt faced any bowler who could be comparable to the greats in the past three decades. Even against South Africa 2005-6, he faced a good Ntini, a ordinary Nel and a Shaun Pollock who was a shadow of his past glory.
Well if you can say that i am convinced you didn't look at those matches and you probably just went looked up those test to see who were the bowlers & came up with this.

Ntini then was going through his purple patch & was very much as good as anything Hayden would have faced in the Ashes, Nel was also bowling very well bowling them close to 150 @ times & not the current average stuff although Pollock was a shadow of his former self.

Unless you say the MCG & Capetown tests i think this will be a futile argument...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Thats true but as i'm trying to tell you based on what i saw of him post Ashes in conditions where you people usually claim he would fail he didn't. If Hayden was totally useless againts any bowling of quality he wouldn't have made those runs againts SA based on the criteria that you guys use.

But also if you are going to use that criteria againts Hayden as i mentioned every prolific batsman in this era has to be questioned also which included Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, MoYo, Sehwag, KP.

West Indies were obviously better back then, Pakistan were pretty similar in the 80's & 90's while Australia were comparable if not slightly better in the recent decade to back then.

I reckon India pace bowling stocks in my time of watching cricket (97 to now) starting from Srinath are better than what was back in the 70's & 80's where only Kapil quality bowler & yet even the great dev wouldn't even be ranked amongst the top 30 fast-bowlers of all-time.

The NZ bowling attack than i've seen i very sure was not better back then where Hadlee was the only quality bowler backed up by mediocre bunch of Chatfield, Morrison, Collinge.

NZ have had propably over the past decade produced the best crop of fast-bowlers in there history in Bond, Allot, Doull, Cairns, O'Connor, Nash but guess what they all have had injury woes.

England as social said hardly terrifying plus when you compare then to the likes of Fraser, Gough, Caddick, Malcolm of the 90's (even though England were very poor then) its not a major difference.

The bottomline is, when he actually faced high quality pace, he's been made to look ordinary. It's only logical to assume that when placed in an era when quality pace is more abundant, as an opening batsman, this weakness will be exposed more.
As i said before he has proven he has the ability to adapt if he were placed in those era's. Plus can't belive i forgot to mention he's obviously more naturally talented than any australian batsmen since the Simpson/Lawry period so i don't see why he couldn't have done well in then when many others with lesser ability managed to forge pretty solid careers like Taylor, Marsh, Wessels, Stackpole and i'm sure you would agree he was WAY better than some of the unsung openers like Wood, Laird, Dyson, McCosker

Ha social is right to say you blokes make it sound as if scoring runs in the 70's, 80's & 90's was impossible...

Had he somehow 'adjusted' to pace after he struggled early in his career, he wouldnt have struggled against Shoaib and the Ashes quartet later on.
Who said he did? thats why he struggled in the Ashes & Shoaib. Plus it must be said when he faced Shoaib in 2004/05 then later in the 2005 Ashes he was going through his first career batting slump after cementing his place in 2001.

But i do believe also that he would have still failed in the Ashes since he had to reinvent himself out of the bully-mode that he had established between India 2001 & SRI 2004. That was a big change that most batsmen careers could never recover from, thats change is why i say again Hayden could prosper in those 3 decades.

Well let me say now since i don't think i've said it before i don't believe Hayden along with any other prolific batsmen of this era will go down as an all-time greats but i am totally againts how people like you are criminally under-rating his ability.

Batsmen of this era unless they average 60+ given that a large period since 2000 has been the second easiest era of batting since the 1930's (but sitll its a fair way above the 1930's) given the flat pitches & quality of bowlers. They would just be ranked as very-good to excellent in my view.

But if we want to get into arguments of modern batsmen would struggle againts swing, & they wouldn't make runs in X or Y era. They are occassions when they get tested & how they come out of it we can judge how they may have probably done i.e my examples of Hayden & Ponting & how the blokes like Kallis, Dravid, MoYo, Sehwag have done againts Australia

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, if this isn't one of the worst comments made on CW, then I'd be very surprised.

No way - I've read alot more comments that are worse then this one.

Name your pace bowling attack from a Hadlee era.It's not much differen in terms of skill to a pace attack by NZ nowadays.

social

Name your pace bowling attack from a Hadlee era.It's not much differen in terms of skill to a pace attack by NZ nowadays.
Chatfield, Snedden, Morrison, Bracewell as spinner - one man band basically

Perm

Effectively what social is saying is that a New Zealand attack of Shane Bond, Mark Gillespie, Ian O'Brien, Daniel Vettori and Jacob Oram is better than

Sir Richard Hadlee
Ewen Chatfield
Lance Cairns
Danny Morrison
John Bracewell

which is pure rubbish. Bond is good, no doubt, but he's only taken 79 Test wickets (55 against Test class opposition) at an average that is very similar to Hadlee's, 22.39 (27.25 against Test class opposition).

Few statements in Cricket Web's history have been as utterly thoughtless, poor and rubbish as that one.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah exactly.

And if one or two of these bowlers have slightly better averages then Mills/Martin and co, it's because the batsmen have gotten better!

The lower order of teams have put more effort into there battting, batters are more hungry where 100 isn't enough, they want to go on and on and on. etc.

Perm

Hahahaha, yet you'll say that "Any Kiwi team with Bond is better than the attack Hadlee played in". The same 'one man band' term applies to Bond aswell, except he's not as good as Hadlee.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Effectively what social is saying is that a New Zealand attack of Shane Bond, Mark Gillespie, Ian O'Brien, Daniel Vettori and Jacob Oram is better than

Sir Richard Hadlee
Ewen Chatfield
Lance Cairns
Danny Morrison
John Bracewell

which is pure rubbish. Bond is good, no doubt, but he's only taken 79 Test wickets (55 against Test class opposition) at an average that is very similar to Hadlee's, 22.39 (27.25 against Test class opposition).

Few statements in Cricket Web's history have been as utterly thoughtless, poor and rubbish as that one.

Ah.. you don't have to include someone like O'Brien. He won't be remembered in 5 years, it would be like including someone like Murphy Sua instead of Danny Morrison, because Morrison was injured for a game.

Include Bond, Martin, Mills, Franklin, Vettori and Oram.
against your lot.

social

Ah.. you don't have to include someone like O'Brien. He won't be remembered in 5 years, it would be like including someone like Murphy Sua instead of Danny Morrison, because Morrison was injured for a game.

against your lot.
Exactly, waaaaaaaaaay better

Bowlers in Hadlee's day, with exception of Morrison, were only there to hold up an end (some average less than 2 wickets per game for over 40 tests) and were barely threat

social

Yeah exactly.

And if one or two of these bowlers have slightly better averages then Mills/Martin and co, it's because the batsmen have gotten better!

The lower order of teams have put more effort into there battting, batters are more hungry where 100 isn't enough, they want to go on and on and on. etc.
Trouble is, they dont

Perm

against your lot.
Bond, Franklin, Martin and Vettori all average a few more runs per wicket once you take away the amount of easy wickets they've taken against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Oram probably does too, while AFAIK Mills has never had that opportunity.

The wording of social's initial post suggested that because Bond was in the bowling attack, that the strength of the other bowlers is irrelevant. Not to me, that's just plain awful thinking. Bond might be good, but he's not that good. That is why I included O'Brien.