• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Matt Hayden go down as an all-time great?

• Total voters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Utter nonsense (on the mid-thirties argument), no-ones remotely become close to proving a 17 run differential in a ten year period.
Are you going to argue against me, or just claim that my opinion is utter nonsense? FTR, I think if Hayden played against the spinners often enough that he would've averaged around 40. Unfortunately for him, I couldn't see him scoring enough runs against the quality seam bowlers of that era to justify his selection.

grecian

Are you going to argue against me, or just claim that my opinion is utter nonsense? FTR, I think if Hayden played against the spinners often enough that he would've averaged around 40. Unfortunately for him, I couldn't see him scoring enough runs against the quality seam bowlers of that era to justify his selection.
I just think your argument about the quality of seam bowling between the decade is wrong, and utterly unproven. I don't rate the 90s bowlers as high as you and Richard. It seems like idolization of heroes to me.

subshakerz

International Coach
I just think your argument about the quality of seam bowling between the decade is wrong, and utterly unproven. I don't rate the 90s bowlers as high as you and Richard. It seems like idolization of heroes to me.
I think we were talking about the 70s and 80s really, when every side had at least one world class fast bowler. Compare that to the bare crop now, where fast bowlers are few and mediocre and pitches are much flatter.

Hayden seems to dominate now, except against fast bowlers in-form (Shoaib, Donald, Ambrose, Ashes bowlers 2005)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perm, y'know mate, you arguing against blokes you're not old enough to have actually seen bat (Gower, Hughes, etc.) is really grating on those of us who are. I'm only JUST old enough to have seen Hughes bat and I remember his was an ability not reflected by his Test average. He played every other week against the WI when they were utterly at their peak and, like everyone else, he struggled. Unlike everyone else, he quit before he could start playing against other teams to bring his average back up to healthy levels. 'Unfulfilled talent' describes him perfectly.

Why would Hayden average 45? Maybe if he played India for most of his career, but even then there was the threat of Kapil Dev. Face it, Hayden's technique would not stand up to inspection by the fast bowlers that were roaming around in the 70's and 80's, and subsequently, he wouldn't score enough runs to retain his place in the side often enough to play against great spinners.
You are assuming his technique wouldn't adapt to the circumstances. And those who are old enough to have seen Haydos play in the early days, rate him him as not up to Test standard but then watch as he did exactly that know it's a shaky assumption. If anything, Hayden has shown himself to be extremely adaptable; does anyone honestly think he was an amazing player of spin from the get-go? Again, those of us old enough to have actually seen him early doors would remember he was leaden-footed against even mediocre spin and paid for it many times. You're almost criminally under-rating him and your little bit before where you dismiss every ton he ever made was really harsh, so many assumptions and further dismissal of the attacks he played against did it contain.

I'm also in agreance with grecian; the 90's great quicks were obviously great bowlers and their records reflect this but they weren't inhuman Gods nor were they materially better than the great quicks running around now. It's just that we're in the middle off a generational change right now. The sky was falling in after the 80's when everyone said we'd never see another Marshall/Garner, etc. Then McGrath, Donald, Pollock, etc. came along. Same thing will happen as often it doesn't occur until the great bowlers leave the scene. The lack of a bankable bowler/batter in a line-up often causes others to step-up and I predict (and it's not exactly a prediction full of insight) that we'll see the same.

subshakerz

International Coach

What's an all time great ?
Definitions vary. I consider an all-time great someone I would consider for an All-time XI, someone you can place in any era and expect to do well.

grecian

I think we were talking about the 70s and 80s really, when every side had at least one world class fast bowler. Compare that to the bare crop now, where fast bowlers are few and mediocre and pitches are much flatter.

Hayden seems to dominate now, except against fast bowlers in-form (Shoaib, Donald, Ambrose, Ashes bowlers 2005)
Umm was Perm talking about 70s and 80s when he didn't watch that time, and I did.

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm also in agreance with grecian; the 90's great quicks were obviously great bowlers and their records reflect this but they weren't inhuman Gods nor were they materially better than the great quicks running around now. It's just that we're in the middle off a generational change right now. The sky was falling in after the 80's when everyone said we'd never see another Marshall/Garner, etc. Then McGrath, Donald, Pollock, etc. came along. Same thing will happen as often it doesn't occur until the great bowlers leave the scene. The lack of a bankable bowler/batter in a line-up often causes others to step-up and I predict (and it's not exactly a prediction full of insight) that we'll see the same.
Which great quicks are those?

grecian

Which great quicks are those?

Thats rather the point isn't it. Cricket matches are going on, maybe Steyn and others will be greats, hard to tell. Yet it's easy to look with hindsight over the great bowlers of years gone by.:)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What makes you so sure he would average 45? He struggled against the few quality quicks he played against in his time, I find it hard to believe his "smash the bowlers from the front foot" appraoch would work so well in an era when every team had at least one world class paceman, and conditions were much more bowler-friendly.
I reckon hayden's ``smash the bowler from the front foot`` approach has been adapted more so due to the average opposition bowlers that he has had to faced more so that a reflection of his ability since he has shown post Ashes he can adapt when conditions are tough. So for me based on what i've seen post Ashes i think Hayden could have scored runs in the 70's, 80's & 90's (obviously not as prolific) since i'd reckon he had more naturally ability than many of the Australian openers post Lawry/Simpson..

He simply hasn't displayed that ability often enough, the only two knocks I can really say were class were against Pakistan in 2002 (where only Shoaib was any real threat), and against England in 2005, when Simon Jones didnt even play.
All of his hundreds in India 2001 where class given Australia even though where the dominant team still where poor againts spin so Hayden performance then really stood ot especially his 203 in Chennai, his hundred vs SRI @ Galle 2004 in scorching heat where Australia where coming from behind in the test match, his hundred vs SA @ MCG & Capetown in the 2005/06 season againts some good SA bowlers on some pretty bowler friendly conditions where also top knocks.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Perm, y'know mate, you arguing against blokes you're not old enough to have actually seen bat (Gower, Hughes, etc.) is really grating on those of us who are.
QFT.

Honestly, I usually stay out of arguments comparing players from the 70s and early 80s because of exactly that reason - I haven't seen them. I mean, how the hell can Perm so matter-of-factly declare Hughes was a worse batsman than Logie purely on statistics?

It reeks of Mr Know-it-all.

Perm

QFT.

Honestly, I usually stay out of arguments comparing players from the 70s and early 80s because of exactly that reason - I haven't seen them. I mean, how the hell can Perm so matter-of-factly declare Hughes was a worse batsman than Logie purely on statistics?

It reeks of Mr Know-it-all.
I never said Hughes was worse than Logie, because that isn't the case. Look, I'm not going to get tangled up in this ridiculous argument again, so I won't say any more.

Perm

I only started watching cricket seriously in 2005, so how can I idolize those bowlers I've never seen? Not to mention the fact we were discussing the great seam bowlers of the 1970's and 1980's, who, as a whole, were far superior to those we have seen in this decade.

Perm

All of his hundreds in India 2001 where class given Australia even though where the dominant team still where poor againts spin so Hayden performance then really stood ot especially his 203 in Chennai, his hundred vs SRI @ Galle 2004 in scorching heat where Australia where coming from behind in the test match, his hundred vs SA @ MCG & Capetown in the 2005/06 season againts some good SA bowlers on some pretty bowler friendly conditions where also top knocks.
I think subshakerz was more referring to innings against high quality seam bowling, of which Hayden has played virtually none. I don't think you'll find too many people on CW arguing that Hayden isn't a great playe of spin bowling, and his centuries against Kumble, Harbhajan, Muralitharan etc prove that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I only started watching cricket seriously in 2005, so how can I idolize those bowlers I've never seen? Not to mention the fact we were discussing the great seam bowlers of the 1970's and 1980's, who, as a whole, were far superior to those we have seen in this decade.
This is exactly what we're talking about. How could you possibly know that? You've only heard/read about these bowlers and most of the time, that in print is overwhelmingly positive. You haven't seen them when they had their bad days. I saw many, many times where Waqar (one of my favourite bowlers, by the way), Akram, Donald, Pollock, Marshall, Garner, etc. were made to look absolutely pedestrian. Mark Greatbatch made most them of look rubbish in the 1992 WC, for example. There are many more. Bowling, as a whole, is no worse to what I saw in the 80's and 90's.

Perm

Perm, y'know mate, you arguing against blokes you're not old enough to have actually seen bat (Gower, Hughes, etc.) is really grating on those of us who are. I'm only JUST old enough to have seen Hughes bat and I remember his was an ability not reflected by his Test average. He played every other week against the WI when they were utterly at their peak and, like everyone else, he struggled. Unlike everyone else, he quit before he could start playing against other teams to bring his average back up to healthy levels. 'Unfulfilled talent' describes him perfectly.
Yeah, I was a bit hasty on this occasion to judge Hughes. It seems that for most of his career Hughes was a fine Test batsmen. He took a few matches to get going at the start of his career, and should probably have retired after the 5th Test against Pakistan in 1984. It was only then that he really began to struggle against the West Indies, playing 9 matches and scoring just 276 runs. Aside from that, Hughes was pretty damn good, and I made a mistake by labelling him as mediocre. Never scored any runs against New Zealand though, Hadlee dismissed him five times in six Tests.

]You are assuming his technique wouldn't adapt to the circumstances. And those who are old enough to have seen Haydos play in the early days, rate him him as not up to Test standard but then watch as he did exactly that know it's a shaky assumption. If anything, Hayden has shown himself to be extremely adaptable; does anyone honestly think he was an amazing player of spin from the get-go? Again, those of us old enough to have actually seen him early doors would remember he was leaden-footed against even mediocre spin and paid for it many times. You're almost criminally under-rating him and your little bit before where you dismiss every ton he ever made was really harsh, so many assumptions and further dismissal of the attacks he played against did it contain.
For all I know, Hayden may have adjusted his tecnique to a sufficiently high standard to combat those great fast bowlers. It's just that I think if we were to transport Hayden back to 1970 and ask him to bat against some of legendary bowlers of that era, he wouldn't have succeeded. As I said in that post, I didn't want to be portrayed as anti-Hayden to the same level as Richard, because I don't think he's as bad as Richard claims he is. But the fact of the matter is, Hayden has exceeded against spin bowling, and churned out runs on fairly flat decks in Australia. Almost every time he has came up against a top quality seam attack he has failed, which as an opener, is poor. Fortunately for him, the standard of bowling during this era has meant that his technique hasn't been exposed that much.

]I'm also in agreance with grecian; the 90's great quicks were obviously great bowlers and their records reflect this but they weren't inhuman Gods nor were they materially better than the great quicks running around now. It's just that we're in the middle off a generational change right now. The sky was falling in after the 80's when everyone said we'd never see another Marshall/Garner, etc. Then McGrath, Donald, Pollock, etc. came along. Same thing will happen as often it doesn't occur until the great bowlers leave the scene. The lack of a bankable bowler/batter in a line-up often causes others to step-up and I predict (and it's not exactly a prediction full of insight) that we'll see the same.
Did I ever mention anything about the strength of seam bowling in the 1990's? Not that I can think of. I was talking about the 1970's and 1980's, when social compared Hayden to Gordon Greenidge. Look at the bowlers back then, there are some legendary names in that mix. Lillee, Thomson, Garner, Marshall, Holding, Imran, Hadlee, Dev. Not too mention the multitude of good bowlers like Hogg, Botham, Willis and numerous others. During this era we've had McGrath, a declining Pollock, a half-fit Shane Bond and Shoaib Akhtar and not a great deal else. Vaas, Ntini, Hoggard, Flintoff, Gillespie were all good, but not legendary.

Son Of Coco

I find the 'he can't play high quality seam/swing bowling' argument slightly amusing. Not many players can, otherwise it wouldn't be high quality swing/seam bowling. In fact, I'd go as far as to say most players will be undone by a quality bowler moving it around more often than not. At the top of the innings you're facing a new ball in conditions that are usually perfect for doing at least something with the ball...the only way you're not going to get out to a good delivery at any stage of the innings is to get lucky and get something on it, or miss it completely and have it not hit the stumps or your pads plumb in front. Sure, players make runs in conditions where a good bowler is bowling well...however they're usually in survival mode early on and/or lucky on more than one occasion or they spend most of their innings not having to deal with it. Two or more bowlers bowling well in tandem makes it a lot more difficult and it takes a special innings to get through with a decent score.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think subshakerz was more referring to innings against high quality seam bowling, of which Hayden has played virtually none. I don't think you'll find too many people on CW arguing that Hayden isn't a great playe of spin bowling, and his centuries against Kumble, Harbhajan, Muralitharan etc prove that.
Ok, well i mentioned his hundreds vs SA in the 2005/06 season. Not as intimidating as the Ashes quartet nor some of the great bowlers of the 70's, 80's & 90's but it was testing enough in the kind of conditions where people like him, richard etc have argued that Hayden would have fail in.

So i say again based on what i've seen of Hayden post 2005 Ashes i don't see why he wouldn't have scored runs in those era's (since he was certainly more naturally talented than many of the Australian openers post Lawry/Simpson that played in the 70's to 90's) since has proven he can be adaptable. But obviously he wouldn't have been so prolific.