• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Days of Grace

International Captain
Part of the reason the Australians are so successful is that their players spend 10 years or so perfecting their craft at domestic level before they get selected for the national team. By this stage they are usually in their late 20s and reaching their peak. That's why you get guys like Clarke and Hussey walking straight into the team and succeeding instantly.
But, the thing is Australia's domestic league is an extremely high standard. Whereas, NZ's league is NOT. NZ bowlers who just play domestic cricket for ten years will not improve. It is almost a neccessity to rush them in at a young age to play against quality batsmen so that they will learn what it takes to succeed.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
But, the thing is Australia's domestic league is an extremely high standard. Whereas, NZ's league is NOT. NZ bowlers who just play domestic cricket for ten years will not improve. It is almost a neccessity to rush them in at a young age to play against quality batsmen so that they will learn what it takes to succeed.
Umm, see my previous post.

Flem274*

123/5
There's one thing worse than an erratic fast bowler. That's an erratic medium pacer. Hitchcock has no greater control (in fact, significantly less control in my opinion) than Southee, Martin, Franklin, my Grandmother and also my parrot.

If you have two equally incapable bowlers, at least the one who's quicker will cause more problems.
Hmm don't know why you didn't adress that to 16tinsofspam instead of me. That post was all about how I was concerned about injury problems for Southee and at the end, the sugestion of Scott and Thompson. I like Hitchcock but he's not good enough to get in ahead of certain others, though I'm sure he would thrash your Grandmother all the way to the moon, your parrot could have a chance if it picks up the ball, flies, then drops it on the stumps.

As for Ryder I see a problem for him when he bats wih McCullum: Run outs

TBH I don't see why we had to change an opening partnership that was doing perfectly fine.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Hitchcock but he's not good enough to get in ahead of certain others, though I'm sure he would thrash your Grandmother all the way to the moon, your parrot could have a chance if it picks up the ball, flies, then drops it on the stumps.
Yeah. The grandmother may struggle now. She lost her pace when she broke the hundred barrier. Things haven't improved now she's 104. And in second thoughts, I think the cricket ball might be heavier than the parrot. Frankly, the parrot wouldn't be too interested unless she could eat the ball.

Still, Hitchcock should not be in there .

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Might have something to do with the right/left-hand combination, which selectors seemed to be obsessed about these days.
Doesn't matter because they wont get singles

But really it is ridiculous why in the world would you get someone who is a middle order batsma and make him open when you have an opener that has already proven himself:wacko:

Surely he wont succed will get dropped and wont play for another 3/4 years:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yes, I agree.

How and McCullum seem perfect a.t.m. How can just take his time with McCullum brazing away. The thing is McCullum can't let How's slow scoring force him into playing a silly shot. But, How just needs to get better at rotating the strike.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
But really it is ridiculous why in the world would you get someone who is a middle order batsma and make him open when you have an opener that has already proven himself:
He plays in the middle order in 4 day cricket, but he was an opening batsman for the under 19s and in his first few years with CD he used to open with Spearman in the one dayers, Its only in the last two years or so that he has dropped down a bit in one dayers, and actually this year he has opened in 4 out of 5 one dayers for Wellington.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
lol at the England Lions...Trott batting at 6 whilst Yardy bats at 3. in for some heavy hammerings in India. Panesar got a few though

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well on Saturday, I'm off to see Canterbury play England in a 50 over match the first of the tour, its played at a venue called the village green, the outfield is fast, the boundaries are small, but the pitch keeps low, should be interesting to see what team England will put out.

Days of Grace

International Captain
And Bond, playing for Canterbury, will take 6/30 off his 10 overs, having the English batsmen in all sorts of trouble. And NZ can't select him, thanks to the farking NZC morons, who should all go to hell to what they have done to the great summer game in NZ. Go to hell you idiots.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
The Twenty20 squad is: Daniel Vettori (captain), Brendon McCullum (vice-captain/wicketkeeper), Jesse Ryder, Jamie How, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris. Jacob Oram, Peter Fulton, Kyle Mills, Paul Hitchcock, Chris Martin, Tim Southee.

The ODI squad is: Daniel Vettori (captain), Brendon McCullum (vice-captain/ wicketkeeper), Jesse Ryder, Jamie How, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris, Peter Fulton, Jacob Oram, Kyle Mills, Paul Hitchcock, Chris Martin, Michael Mason, Jeetan Patel.

Martin should be NOWHERE near the ODI squad....

I do wonder what the apes in nzcricket are thinking sometimes...

Why not have southee in there ????

I dont think blooding a future ODI bowler in ONLY 20/20 is to good a idea....

*sigh*

I feel really sorry for sinclair... :S

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Southee is wanted in the u-19 world cup so rather than play him against a top side lik e England let him take some wickets in the u-19wc. IMHO actually a good move by the selectors!

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Southee is wanted in the u-19 world cup so rather than play him against a top side lik e England let him take some wickets in the u-19wc. IMHO actually a good move by the selectors!

oh i see

When is that ?

just pisses me off they give martin 239287392873298 chances :S

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I'd rather Southee played for the under-19s because lets face it, he's gonna kick ass. He must have learned alot this season already and he'll learn some more from the England 20/20s.

I'd rather Mason than Martin TBH

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Yeah I'd rather Southee played for the under-19s because lets face it, he's gonna kick ass. He must have learned alot this season already and he'll learn some more from the England 20/20s.

I'd rather Mason than Martin TBH
id rather half the people on this forum than martin TBH...

Oh by the way ... i imagine ryders selection is a make or break thing..

NZC win either way... if he fails then it might shut him up for awhile..