• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Gilly's '18' Be Retired?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's been named Australia's greatest ever ODI player and makes everyone's All time ODI XIs. I don't think the Aussies retire the one day player's shirt numbers given that Steve Waugh's has been taken by Jaques and Clarke has Warnie's

Not ever been a huge Gilchrist fan, but I think he deserves this honour and don't think anyone should wear the 18 but Gilchrist.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The game is bigger than any player and Gillie is no different. No number should be retired for anyone I reckon.

sideshowtim

Banned
We're not Americans, I've always hated the idea of retiring numbers. Let his legacy live on throughout whoever wears the 18 next.

Debris

International 12th Man
I'm more in favour in gifting it to a young player and creating a history behind a number.

Josh

International Regular
Could do one of two things.

a) give it to the batsman with the best hitting power in the team
b) give it to every 'regular' national keeper from here on in

Or

c) just wait for someone else to take it

But no, just don't retire it.

burr

State Vice-Captain
No. If they don't do it for anyone else it'd be ridiculous to do it for Gilly. Plus I don't agree with retiring numbers anyway. And it is only a number in one-day cricket. It's not partic meaningful.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If we start retiring numbers eventually they will run out!
Or we could have players with numbers like 42.8, or 63&3/7ths

I don't see the point in retiring a number, to be honest I had no idea that Gilly wore 18, don't think THAT many people would have known this..

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
most Australian numbers have not been used more than once with alot of players taking high numbers like Brett Lee, Symonds, Mike Hussey etc, if say Luke Ronchi got picked fpor Austrlain then it would be okay for hime to have 18 beeing very similair

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Numbers aren't reall important and remembered in cricket as much as in AFL, basketball etc.

Don't think anyone would even notice. If you asked me what number Gilly was before this thread I wouldn't have known.

Josh

International Regular
most Australian numbers have not been used more than once with alot of players taking high numbers like Brett Lee, Symonds, Mike Hussey etc, if say Luke Ronchi got picked fpor Austrlain then it would be okay for hime to have 18 beeing very similair
Why just Ronchi and not any other keeper??