• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Burgey said:
Healey's idea on the TV, that if you go into the extra half hour you are not allowed to take a new ball is a good one, I reckon and would hurry things along.
Yeah, first sensible thing that's come out of his mouth.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I didn't see it live due to work, but it looked not out when I saw it on the replay. What Dravid was thinking or even Laxman I have no idea. If it was Shahid Afridi, then fine it wouldn't be surprising, but for those two it was just :blink:

On another note, who presented Chris Rogers with his Baggy Green? Matt Hayden or somebody else?
Slater, I believe.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I didn't see it live due to work, but it looked not out when I saw it on the replay. What Dravid was thinking or even Laxman I have no idea. If it was Shahid Afridi, then fine it wouldn't be surprising, but for those two it was just :blink:

On another note, who presented Chris Rogers with his Baggy Green? Matt Hayden or somebody else?
Justin Langer presented the cap.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, agree, Australia ahead slightly after those late wickets potentially undid most of Dravid and Sachin's good work. Thought Tendulkar was fantastic today, and was a bit unlucky with his LBW - I wonder whether Rauf would have given that if he'd had a bit more time to acclimitize to Aussie, and in particular WACA bounce? At least there was a square up this time with Dravid getting a let off when he was plumb LBW to Johnson. The "ramp" shot Tendulkar played, where he swayed out of the way of a good bouncer but at the last minute decided to deflect the ball over Gilchrist's head was perhaps the most impressive shot I can recall seeing in a long time, in terms of the time Sachin appeared to have to play it, and his execution.

Felt for Dravid, he would have deserved the 100 if he'd not suffered that brain explosion. Great to see him back amongst the runs. Even though Sehwag only got 29, he set the tone much better for the Indians and got them on the offensive I thought. Plus, Dravid moves to 3, and lo and behold, he gets some runs. :dry: To me, this is the batting order they should have had from day one, although I think Laxman should be higher. Slightly contradicting what I just said about Dravid, I'd have VVS at 3 and Dravid at 5, between Sachin and Ganguly.

Thought Lee was fantastic today, while the other bowlers were a bit unlucky, but also a bit disappointing. Tait was disappointing after the hype. But that said, I also thought Ponting's bowling changes etc were very poor. He seemed to have planned out changes assuming the Freo Doctor would be blowing, and poor old Tait, and Lee for large chunks of the day, ended up bowling into a breeze that also went against their outswing, while Johnson and Clark enjoyed the other end. I thought he also left Tait out of the attack for too long. I'd have been tempted to give him a two over spell with the new ball, and if he wasn't doing any good whip him off and bring Johnson on. On the WACA pitch, you want to get at batsmen before they adjust to the pace and bounce.

BTW, I missed what happened between Clarke and Dravid in the over before Dravid got out - was it anything amiss? EDIT: Burgey's answered this in the previous post, while I was typing.

EDIT 2: Agree, the slow over rate is one of the biggest blights in the game today. Has to be addressed.
Loss of points on the ICC Test Championship table for cases where it is becoming a joke, like in this series. Obviously teams don't care about fines or a possible suspension, so let's hit them where it hurts in regard to points on the table. Unless they couldn't give a crap about it.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, agree, Australia ahead slightly after those late wickets potentially undid most of Dravid and Sachin's good work. Thought Tendulkar was fantastic today, and was a bit unlucky with his LBW - I wonder whether Rauf would have given that if he'd had a bit more time to acclimitize to Aussie, and in particular WACA bounce? At least there was a square up this time with Dravid getting a let off when he was plumb LBW to Johnson. The "ramp" shot Tendulkar played, where he swayed out of the way of a good bouncer but at the last minute decided to deflect the ball over Gilchrist's head was perhaps the most impressive shot I can recall seeing in a long time, in terms of the time Sachin appeared to have to play it, and his execution.

Felt for Dravid, he would have deserved the 100 if he'd not suffered that brain explosion. Great to see him back amongst the runs. Even though Sehwag only got 29, he set the tone much better for the Indians and got them on the offensive I thought. Plus, Dravid moves to 3, and lo and behold, he gets some runs. :dry: To me, this is the batting order they should have had from day one, although I think Laxman should be higher. Slightly contradicting what I just said about Dravid, I'd have VVS at 3 and Dravid at 5, between Sachin and Ganguly.

Thought Lee was fantastic today, while the other bowlers were a bit unlucky, but also a bit disappointing. Tait was disappointing after the hype. But that said, I also thought Ponting's bowling changes etc were very poor. He seemed to have planned out changes assuming the Freo Doctor would be blowing, and poor old Tait, and Lee for large chunks of the day, ended up bowling into a breeze that also went against their outswing, while Johnson and Clark enjoyed the other end. I thought he also left Tait out of the attack for too long. I'd have been tempted to give him a two over spell with the new ball, and if he wasn't doing any good whip him off and bring Johnson on. On the WACA pitch, you want to get at batsmen before they adjust to the pace and bounce.

BTW, I missed what happened between Clarke and Dravid in the over before Dravid got out - was it anything amiss? EDIT: Burgey's answered this in the previous post, while I was typing.

EDIT 2: Agree, the slow over rate is one of the biggest blights in the game today. Has to be addressed.
I don't understand when Laxmans been pretty good at no. 3 this summer you shunt him 3 posis down to no. 6. It's stupid imo. I agree with that order you posted. That idea of Healey's someone posted I really like. These slow over rates have to be acted upon. There was someting lacking about the whole day's play, it was mediocre - shot selection, the pitch...

Laurrz

International Debutant
i meant Laxman not Tendulkar my bad..not sure why i wrote Tendulkar he was the unlucky one (altho did look quite plumb at first glance)

think Aussies will be happy to get em all out anything udner 400....anything under 350 would be huge and Aussies should really take advantage of that and get a lead i recn if that happened

Craig

World Traveller
Well Pathan got a ton in his last Test, but look at Yuvraj, came into the series in form Test wise and did nothing.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loss of points on the ICC Test Championship table for cases where it is becoming a joke, like in this series. Obviously teams don't care about fines or a possible suspension, so let's hit them where it hurts in regard to points on the table. Unless they couldn't give a crap about it.
They care more about being suspended than by a points drop on a table no-one really cares about. Problem is the suspensions aren't actually enforced. The worst I've seen are suspended sentences or the captain copping a fine.

Johnners

Brett Lee is so gun. Today his bowling average dropped below 30 for the first time since October 2003, and deservedly so imo.

Craig

World Traveller
They care more about being suspended than by a points drop on a table no-one really cares about. Problem is the suspensions aren't actually enforced. The worst I've seen are suspended sentences or the captain copping a fine.
So a team wouldn't care if they dropped for example two positions on a table? Well if they don't care, well that is their view. Yes definatly a suspension, but if it happened to India, the BCCI will probably throw a hissy fit and treaten to cancel a series if it didn't get the suspensions dropped or suspended 8-)

Craig

World Traveller
Brett Lee is so gun. Today his bowling average dropped below 30 for the first time since October 2003, and deservedly so imo.
I know it will probably change, but for somebody bowling so well, I find it hard to believe he hasn't picked up six or seven wickets yet. I just find it funny that somebody like Chris Martin has better Test match bowling figures (ie his best is 6/54). Surely Lee will change that soon or IMO it will seem like he has a curse at getting beyong five wickets in an innings.

Days of Grace

International Captain
But there are bowlers like Clark and Johnson who are always amongst the wickets too, so very hard for an Aussie bowler to take more than 5 wickets in an innings i.m.o.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
i meant Laxman not Tendulkar my bad..not sure why i wrote Tendulkar he was the unlucky one (altho did look quite plumb at first glance)

think Aussies will be happy to get em all out anything udner 400....anything under 350 would be huge and Aussies should really take advantage of that and get a lead i recn if that happened
I thought it looked pretty out live, but I think the angle you see on telly (looking down at them) can be a bit deceptive that way. It does highlight how hard the ump's job is only getting one, real speed, look at it. I thought Rauf was very good today, there were a couple of close ones he called correctly (an armguard of Jaffer's sticks out in my memory as one that could easily have been wrongly given). The Tendulkar one was wrong, but there were a few mitigating factors from Rauf's point of view - Sachin is not a tall man, he was back in his crease. I can see why he gave it, although as I said, I suspect that having seen that reply tonight, and having had a full day's play to get his radar in tune with the pitch, he wouldn't give it tomorrow. It must be very hard for the umpires to fly into a country and then officiate in a test match straightaway.

sideshowtim

Banned
I know it will probably change, but for somebody bowling so well, I find it hard to believe he hasn't picked up six or seven wickets yet. I just find it funny that somebody like Chris Martin has better Test match bowling figures (ie his best is 6/54). Surely Lee will change that soon or IMO it will seem like he has a curse at getting beyong five wickets in an innings.
Not hard to do when you've spent your entire career competing with the likes of McGrath and Warne for wickets TBH.

duffer

So a team wouldn't care if they dropped for example two positions on a table? Well if they don't care, well that is their view. Yes definatly a suspension, but if it happened to India, the BCCI will probably throw a hissy fit and treaten to cancel a series if it didn't get the suspensions dropped or suspended 8-)
Thing about punishments is if the lawbook is applied with consistency no-one would complain. You can just about guarantee that.

pasag

RTDAS
The ICC table is supposed to be an accurate reflection of the state of Test cricket, docking points for any reason would make no sense and render the whole thing useless (if it isn't already).

I agree however, something has to be done. I can't stand it.

Mister Wright

Give the batting side six runs for every over not bowled in a day. I'm sure teams would get the overs in then. They used to do it in our senior comps. It was rare we ever bowled less than we had too.