• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It certainly isn't when an Australian Cricketer cries "Racism"
.. and that has no relevance to what you or I were saying at all, but thanks. I think you just showed us all why you were against Arthur making a statement. It had nothing to do with whether he was distanced from it (as.. umm.. you.. are..) or not - it was what he said.

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pretty sure Geoff Lawson said something actually/
Yes.

"There's certainly been a lot of feeling from ex-players who think the baggy green has been disrespected,'' Lawson said.

"Some of these (current) players need to be spoken to. I just think a bit of counselling needs to be done with how these players perceive themselves."

"As an ex-Australian player I was pretty disappointed."

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Why should Kumble accept that Harbhajan is being racist when it might have been maa ki (your mother in hindi) and not monkey. Ponting hasn't helped matters by not talking with Kumble and not sorting what looks like might have been a misunderstanding. Read this by Mihir Bose.
LOL, if anything reading that piece made me think he is even more guilty.

Point is: if he said something racist, then there was no simple apology that was going to suffice. The Australians are pretty convinced it was, I don't know why Kumble comes out trying to make Ponting out as if he is stopping the progress. Pretty poor IMO, at the least he should acknowledge what Ponting has had to weigh up.

Laurrz

International Debutant
LOL, if anything reading that piece made me think he is even more guilty.

Point is: if he said something racist, then there was no simple apology that was going to suffice. The Australians are pretty convinced it was, I don't know why Kumble comes out trying to make Ponting out as if he is stopping the progress. Pretty poor IMO, at the least he should acknowledge what Ponting has had to weigh up.
totally agree... not intentional but he's not making Ponting look that good... when he did nothing wrong in backing up Symonds

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be folly to pick Sehwag on the strength of this knock. Remember Sanath Jayasuriya belted a better bowling attack to all parts of the Adelaide oval and yet come Test time, on an easier wicket to bat on than the WACA looks right now, he not only looked out of his depth but unfit. I fully expect Sehwag to do the same. Love watching him when he's going but picking him now isn't doing the right thing by him or the team because if he fails, the team are all going to be saying "See? What's he doing here?!" and if he then gets dropped again soon after, what will that do to his confidence? He might never get picked again.

I'd stick with the same order. The Indian selectors picked them, now bloody back them. On a Perth-type deck, I'd back Yuvraj to come good with at least a half ton. He's shown too much form of late to drop him after a couple of failures. He's a special player, just needs one start and I reckon he'll be away. Andy Symonds was similar, really; unorthodox player who's woefully under-performed relative to talent. The selectors backed him a little bit further than they probably could have justified (especially in ODI's before 2003) and look where he is now (numerous let-offs notwithstandaing :D).

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Would be folly to pick Sehwag on the strength of this knock. Remember Sanath Jayasuriya belted a better bowling attack to all parts of the Adelaide oval and yet come Test time, on an easier wicket to bat on than the WACA looks right now, he not only looked out of his depth but unfit. I fully expect Sehwag to do the same. Love watching him when he's going but picking him now isn't doing the right thing by him or the team because if he fails, the team are all going to be saying "See? What's he doing here?!" and if he then gets dropped again soon after, what will that do to his confidence? He might never get picked again.

I'd stick with the same order. The Indian selectors picked them, now bloody back them. On a Perth-type deck, I'd back Yuvraj to come good with at least a half ton. He's shown too much form of late to drop him after a couple of failures. He's a special player, just needs one start and I reckon he'll be away. Andy Symonds was similar, really; unorthodox player who's woefully under-performed relative to talent. The selectors backed him a little bit further than they probably could have justified (especially in ODI's before 2003) and look where he is now (numerous let-offs notwithstandaing :D).
I probably agree although India have nothing to lose in the next two tests so it won't matter if they have Sehwag, Karthik or Pathan.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I probably agree although India have nothing to lose in the next two tests so it won't matter if they have Sehwag, Karthik or Pathan.
I'm more referring to the batting. In terms of the bowling, for mine Pathan strikes me as the perfect bowler to bowl into the Fremantle Doctor. A bowler who swings the ball at around medium-fast pace is always dangerous post-tea at the WACA. They might want to consider finding a place for him, perhaps for Harbhajan.

Craig

World Traveller
Will India have the balls to name Harbhajan for the 3rd Test? I'd got for Pathan for mine, adds more depth with the bat as well as what Corey said as an into the wind bowler.

pasag

RTDAS
For me, it's time to cut your losses early with Yuvraj. Even from the start I argued that a player in such good international form should be considered for another format but if they fail, get them out early before any serious damage is done. I have no qualms with selectors persisting with top form FC cricketers, but not with ODI players. I can't see any indication that he'll come good either. He's there because of form, he's shown none of that so far in Australia, get him out.

Edit: This thread is already the second biggest official thread in CC history and only half way through the series as well.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
^Agreed, Yuvi has to go. I'd even consider bringing Irfan in for him. Means we have 5 bowlers and a guy who can handle his own with the bat.

Yuvi just looks ridiculously out of his depth, I thought he had a lot more ticker than he's shown so far.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ugh, Irfan is cannon fodder. We don't need an extra bowler, if we are going to bring someone in for Yuvraj, it has to be an opener so Dravid can go back to his #3 spot.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh, Irfan is cannon fodder. We don't need an extra bowler, if we are going to bring someone in for Yuvraj, it has to be an opener so Dravid can go back to his #3 spot.
Heh, he'd still contribute more than Yuvi does and he can roll his arm over if needed too ;)

Sehwag flaying a meh attack shouldn't bring him back into the side. I wouldn;t mind seeing Dinu reclaim his spot, I just feel Sehwag didn't deserve to be in the squad let alone play in the Test team.