• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quality post Sean, not quite Aussie enough though imo (didn't swear etc.), must be some English air getting to you :ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, it's always been alphabetical (is Bannerman no 1?) but Slats assumed that because he batted before Brendan Julian (IIRC?) he'd be the next number when they debuted in same test & had the tattoo accordingly. They let him keep it out of pity I believe.
And he also had "356" (or whatever the wrong number was) as the rego plates of his car.

pup11

International Coach
I just hope we get over this controversy as quickly as possible and we get to see some good cricketing action, enough has been said about this issue and lot of OTT stuff has been thrown around in CW regarding this issue.
Well it would be interesting to see how Ponting and co. react to all this recent flak and criticism they have been getting from all corners.
As far as the Australian team for Perth is concerned, this is line-up i would like to see :-
1.P.Jaques
2.M.Hayden (there is still a lot of time before the match, so i guess he would be fine by then)
3.R.Ponting (C)
4.M.Hussey
5.M.Clarke
6.A.Symonds (personally i won't have him in the squad, but... unfortunately he would be there)
7.A.Gilchrist (V-C/ WK)
8.B.Hogg
9.B.Lee
10.S.Clark
11.S.Tait
12th man M.Johnson
If Hayden isn't fit i would pick either Katich or D.Hussey to replace him and open with M.Hussey, but i won't drop Hogg, i know he should have done better on a last day SCG track but its not like he has bowled too badly in this series, yes he doesn't have the wickets to show for it but still he has done well enough to hold onto his place for now, i would make one change and pick Tait ahead of Johnson as Tait seems to offer so much more at this stage, Johnson has it in him to be a very good test bowler for Australia, but he needs to work on a few things in his bowling to become more effective at the test level.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Bring in 2 Vics, Mcgain and Hussey.

Hayden could be out for 5 weeks and Hogg is in doubt too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well that's what the referee needs to decide, and why I'm saying that there should be education, not a ban, for a first offence with a word. But to suggest after the incident in October that the Indian team weren't aware that Symonds found 'monkey' genuinely offensive is not credible IMO.
first of all, personal abuse and racial abuse are one and the same, IF the victim believes it hurts him just as bad, as you yourself pointed out in one of your posts.

Secondly, when it is Ponting's word Vs Tendulkar's word, I know whom I will trust and so, what the referee is basically telling is that Tendulkar is lying. If that doesn't warrant a reaction, I don't know what does.

And thirdly, yes, the way India went about this is wrong, but someone had to bell the cat that was the poor umpiring by Bucknor and India did it. AFAIC, it is good riddance for world cricket if he is kicked out of the elite panel.

And fourthly, Gilchrist is an absolute tool if he didn't know that the ball he appealed for off Dravid didn't hit his bat. And I don't think there is any real way Clarke wouldn't have been aware of the ball touching the ground when he was rolling over... Just no way, anyone who has played cricket long enough will know it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For your information, sledging and racial abuse are two entirely different things.
not really... Many ppl will find personal abuse just as bad or even worse than racial abuse... And again, ONLY the victim's PoV matters in such instances, as Matt79 pointed out...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If the Indians were really, really deeply offended by the word 'bastard' then why has an official complain not been lodged about the word in the past? I have no doubts that an Aussie has called an Indian a bastard in thousands of matches before this. I believe that if it really was that offensive as Indians are making out, then we would've been told to stop it ages and ages ago.
because there is something called "tolerance" and letting things said on the field there itself....

Mister Wright

not really... Many ppl will find personal abuse just as bad or even worse than racial abuse... And again, ONLY the victim's PoV matters in such instances, as Matt79 pointed out...
So, if you say something like, "Send him back to re-string his raquet" or, "There's more jumping than a Kris Kross video out here" or, "That's the wrong grip for a 4iron" is personal abuse?

Mister Wright

Ponting, Gilchrist and Lee all make millions from Indian sponsorship. I wonder how that's going to play out.
I have a feeling that this is going to be like a cyclone or tornado, it'll all be over in a flash, and although there will be some people with scarred memories who can't let it go the rest of us will just get on with life/cricket. So, don't think it will affect them that much. Although Ponting may not be able to recover his image in India.

pasag

RTDAS
Nice post Sean.

Anyways, I'm sure everyone is sick of it by now so I'll keep this brief wrt to Harbhajan. For me the comments, if made- pending an appeal, were racist. I lobbied on here for Gibbs being punished (iirc) when people were trying to downplay that and believe the same thing here now. The fact Symonds outlined this to him at the start of the tour and the big media it got in the ODI series, tells me at least that he can't claim ignorance. (If he didn't say it that's a different matter and we'll see what the appeal says).

However, I can't help but feel Australia are responsible for this. We created the culture of sledging and battlefield mentality on the cricket pitch. Some say Chappell wasn't the first, but his side did make an artform of it and the Australian sides have since turned it into a science. We created this monster and whilst the comments were unacceptable, I can't help but feel we are somewhat to blame for the environment in which such a thing took place.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have a feeling that this is going to be like a cyclone or tornado, it'll all be over in a flash, and although there will be some people with scarred memories who can't let it go the rest of us will just get on with life/cricket. So, don't think it will affect them that much. Although Ponting may not be able to recover his image in India.
Yea, I'd tend to agree. Though it will depend on how the relations are at the end of the series. If they are still hated by the Ind-Aus in India in October, I would think it will severely affect their ability to get sponsorship deals. Normally, the companies that employ Australian cricketers are those who cannot afford the big price tags of the Indian players, or those who are in competition with the Indian companies. Right now, it would be a dangerous time to run ads showing Ponting for example.

Evermind

International Debutant
ah, I was wondering why Warne got banned for a year for his drugs, Lehmann got banned for his racist comment, and Ponting has been fined twice in the past couple of years for dissent. Now of course I understand, its because we get away with everything... :p
And don't forget two of your top fast bowlers testing for illegal drugs and then getting banned for a year or two.

Wait a minute......

Mister Wright

Nice post Sean.

Anyways, I'm sure everyone is sick of it by now so I'll keep this brief wrt to Harbhajan. For me the comments, if made- pending an appeal, were racist. I lobbied on here for Gibbs being punished (iirc) when people were trying to downplay that and believe the same thing here now. The fact Symonds outlined this to him at the start of the tour and the big media it got in the ODI series, tells me at least that he can't claim ignorance. (If he didn't say it that's a different matter and we'll see what the appeal says).

However, I can't help but feel Australia are responsible for this. We created the culture of sledging and battlefield mentality on the cricket pitch. Some say Chappell wasn't the first, but his side did make an artform of it and the Australian sides have since turned it into a science. We created this monster and whilst the comments were unacceptable, I can't help but feel we are somewhat to blame for the environment in which such a thing took place.
Agree.

However, in saying that the umpires have to take a lot of responsibility. In my comp, I've said somethings that go too far, but I've had umpires tell me to tone it down. Sometimes you forget in the heat of the moment. A quick word from the men in the middle is a quick reminder, and you only have yourself to blame if you continue on with it.

pasag

RTDAS
Yea, I'd tend to agree. Though it will depend on how the relations are at the end of the series. If they are still hated by the Ind-Aus in India in October, I would think it will severely affect their ability to get sponsorship deals. Normally, the companies that employ Australian cricketers are those who cannot afford the big price tags of the Indian players, or those who are in competition with the Indian companies. Right now, it would be a dangerous time to run ads showing Ponting for example.
I think you'll find that, similar to Bodyline, the next tour will be an OTT example of friendship and sportsmanship with everyone eager to make sure this doesn't happen again, especially with all the cricket world watching.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just read something Akram said that I could not believe. He's said the Aussies are cry babies for taking it to the umpire and that in his time both teams said stuff and got on with it. Now, I would like to ask, besides appealing for a racist remark, what else have Australia been cry babies about here? Ponting has had a whinge here and there but geez, what a generalisation. It's not as if Arjuna never had it, or Smith never had it...bloody hell.

The amount of rubbish coming out is staggering. I am also disappointed in some Aussies for overdoing the acceptance of their side in the matter. Yes, Australia do play a hard game and it does get on the nerves of other teams but is not a matter to incite racism.

There are some genuine things that the Aussie side has to look into as Border and Waugh have said. There are serious differences in culture. Where an Australian may call someone a "lucky bastard", and here it really isn't much of an insult, in the sub-continent it is a serious remark. To that extent, Aussies have a lot to look at. But Australia are not to apologise for racist remarks. They were uncalled for.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Just read something Akram said that I could not believe. He's said the Aussies are cry babies for taking it to the umpire and that in his time both teams said stuff and got on with it. Now, I would like to ask, besides appealing for a racist remark, what else have Australia been cry babies about here? Ponting has had a whinge here and there but geez, what a generalisation. It's not as if Arjuna never had it, or Smith never had it...bloody hell.

The amount of rubbish coming out is staggering. I am also disappointed in some Aussies for overdoing the acceptance of their side in the matter. Yes, Australia do play a hard game and it does get on the nerves of other teams but is not a matter to incite racism.

There are some genuine things that the Aussie side has to look into as Border and Waugh have said. There are serious differences in culture. Where an Australian may call someone a "lucky bastard", and here it really isn't much of an insult, in the sub-continent it is a serious remark. To that extent, Aussies have a lot to look at. But Australia are not to apologise for racist remarks. They were uncalled for.
absolutely agree

i expected better from wasim