• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

FFS, AUSTRALIA TODAY IS NOT WORSE THAN ZIMBABWE.
You are talking about events many years ago.
How Australia treats is aboriginals today ( i've seen with my OWN TWO EYES) and how it treats refugees (again, seen with my own two eyes), is not much different than how zimbabwe treats the white farmers.

jeevan

International 12th Man
yeah it is like adding fuel to the fire...
Actually worse than that. The one thing that there is clear and uncontroversial
evidence for, Bucknor's incompetence (at best), is not acted upon.

If this has degenerated into a multi-way pissing contest, then can this tour. It is serving
absolutely no purpose.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Again, Aussie policy towards Aborigines was far worse. Not only did they kill far more aborigines than whites killed in Zimbabwe, they also took away their children by force, forced them to live in penal-type colonies, etc and as i said, Australia did it for MUCH MUCH longer.

There are only two points in basis of comparative genocide/racist-violence : scale and time period. In both cases, Australia is easily far far more depraved than Zimbabwe is and Australia didn't come under any sanction either, ie, unlike Zimbabwe, they paid literally no penalty for it. So Australia's culpability is far greater.
Having said I'd ignore this stuff, I just have to say mate, that if you want to go back 40, 50, 60 years or more into a country's history, then you might want to look at things which have gone on in all countries concerning discrimination, be it on race, gender, class or caste bases.

Your point in the quoted post is akin to me saying that because there was an established caste system in India for many many years, their players and citizens today are nothing more than a pack of snobs who don't treat everyone as equals to themselves. I can no more say that than you can assert that beacuse of what went on here years ago, we're all a bunch of racists.
Look, if new Aussie pace sensation John Smith beat an Indian player's bat in Perth and called him a monkey, or a curry-muncher and that player found it offensive, why shouldn't he report to the umpire that he'd been racially abused?

ozone

First Class Debutant
How Australia treats is aboriginals today ( i've seen with my OWN TWO EYES) and how it treats refugees (again, seen with my own two eyes), is not much different than how zimbabwe treats the white farmers.
Proof? This is just your word which would not stand up in a court of law. :happy:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I've been away for a couple of weeks, but how did I know I'd come back to threads like this one?

I don't popose to get into Australia's record of racial abuse on this forum, but dealing with the things coming out of the Sydney test:

1. Ponting's claimed catch (photo above) - he ought not have claimed it.

2. Gilly's appeling the Dravid dismissal - his appeal was spontaneous and enthusiastic - of course, it doesn't mean he was right, nor does it mean he is in some way morally bankrupt for asking the question, just as the Indians aren't morally bankrupt to have gone off like ICBMs for an lbw shout when Ponting cut the ball in half in the first innings. People appeal for things all the time.

3. The umpiring - it was very, very bad. Thank goodness they were neutral umpires. Despite the poor umpiring, burning effigies of them seems OTT to me. No team should, however, be able to hold the governing body to ransom over whom it appoints to tests, especially when there aren't that many umpires around at international level. Rauf and Bucknor for Perth - I'm more concerned about the standard of the former than the latter, who at least has the excuse of age on his side.

4. The race thing with Harbhajan - I fail to see how you can't report something like that if it is said on the field, irrespective of who says it. It's just not on imo, so if it's said it should be reported.

Whether he should have been found guilty based on one person's word over another is a separate issue. I would find it hard to convict a person on that evidence, but then again I wasn't at the hearing.

People getting upset because Tendulkar's version was not preferred at the hearing are it way off the mark. Whether you've played no tests, one test or 150 tests, that doesn't mean what you say happened did happen, nor does it mean you're lying if it didn't. It simply means the person deciding the matter has preferred one version over the other.

The term which Singh has been found to have used is an offensive term and it's racist. What's more, he knew after October last year that it was an offensive term, just as Hogg knew or certainly ought to have known that the term ****ard is offensive to Indians and he should not have used it. If they said those things they should both get a spell, frankly.

Sad that a great match was overshadowed by these things. I do think, however, from a purely cricketing point of view that a draw would have been easily the fairer result. Imo once India got a 1st innings lead they ought to have pressed harder for runs than they did to give themselves more time to put the Aussies under more pressure. Easy to say from here, of course :) .
excellent post...completely agreed...we badly need people like slow love and you to offer balanced views of the situation...:)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Complete nonsense from an one-eyed biassed Aussie-fan ( i have NEVER seen you criticise Australian players for anything and i've been spectating here for a while now).

The law is simple- if the ball touches the grass in the process of you completing the catch, it is NOT OUT. There are many diving catches taken where the palm is turned upwards so that the ball does not touch the ground. That Ponting claimed the catch despite it being a CLEAR grassed attempt shows how dishonest he is and he should be banned just exactly how Latif was.
You don't seem to be getting it...

Proof? This is just your word which would not stand up in a court of law. :happy:
Go visit Australia, mate. Go deep into Queensland or near Alice Springs and see the condition of the natives and refugees.
Like i said, i have personal exeperince observing this- which means a damn sight more than some kid in england sitting on a computer and googling away like a fanatic.

You don't seem to be getting it...
Yes, i am clearly not getting it coz Ponting is an Aussie and rules are different for an Aussie, eh ?
LOOK at that picture- NO way is that a legitimate catch, since the ball is clearly grassed and Ponting is still in the process of taking the catch.
Ponting also made a statement that he is SURE that the catch is clean- that is categoric falsified statement and therefore, he is a LIAR as well as a CHEAT.

Son Of Coco

Just because biassed Aussie fans refuse to see the point doesnt mean it wasn't clear. There is CLEAR video footage of Ponting grassing it and then claiming the catch, thereby proving once and for all that he is a CHEAT. And if Latif can be banned for the exact same offence ( claiming a grassed catch), so should Ponting.
But we know already that there is one rule for the Aussies and another for the rest.

Ofcourse I am anti-Australia ! Duh! I've been to your country, i've lived there for a while and i've read your history and current affairs politics. Fairminded people like Slow_love are literally one-in-a-thousand down under and i've seen/read/heard nothing that convinces me that Australia deserves my respect in any field. The most racist nation on the face of the planet, with a history that makes Nazi-Germany look like a little gangster-thug, with current policies that are despicable even by third world standards and you want my respect ? Whatever for ?
But i have backed up every single point i've made with logic and precise recollection of the event, so biassed or not, my stance still stands.
You must be C_C's love child...you share the same penchant for half-witted history lessons. The Nazi-Germany comment is extreme to say the least.

Having said I'd ignore this stuff, I just have to say mate, that if you want to go back 40, 50, 60 years or more into a country's history, then you might want to look at things which have gone on in all countries concerning discrimination, be it on race, gender, class or caste bases.

Your point in the quoted post is akin to me saying that because there was an established caste system in India for many many years, their players and citizens today are nothing more than a pack of snobs who don't treat everyone as equals to themselves. I can no more say that than you can assert that beacuse of what went on here years ago, we're all a bunch of racists.
Look, if new Aussie pace sensation John Smith beat an Indian player's bat in Perth and called him a monkey, or a curry-muncher and that player found it offensive, why shouldn't he report to the umpire that he'd been racially abused?
1. Yes the offensive player should be reported. But lacking any video or audio footage, no way can that player be charged guilty, lest a teammate comes forward and confirms his guilt.

2. I am not just talking about in a historical sense- though history does play a big part in determining how the society is TODAY. Societerial development is a continuous process and not just a clean slate from one particular time onwards. Even to this day, aussie treatment of aboriginals and refugees are attrocious by even third world standards.

Son Of Coco

Yes, i am clearly not getting it coz Ponting is an Aussie and rules are different for an Aussie, eh ?
LOOK at that picture- NO way is that a legitimate catch, since the ball is clearly grassed and Ponting is still in the process of taking the catch.
Ponting also made a statement that he is SURE that the catch is clean- that is categoric falsified statement and therefore, he is a LIAR as well as a CHEAT.
Have you actually seen the catch in real-time or are you just looking at a picture?

You must be C_C's love child...you share the same penchant for half-witted history lessons. The Nazi-Germany comment is extreme to say the least.
Nothing extreme about it. Nazi Germany went around exterminating people for 6-7 years. Austalia went around exterminating for 70+ years. Nazi germany killed 2-3 million, Australia nearly wiped out an entire continent of native inhabitants.
The comparison may be unpalletable to you but it is very much valid.

Have you actually seen the catch in real-time or are you just looking at a picture?
Real time ofcourse. But its a bit hard to just find a video footage of exactly what i want from a 5 day match- the picture has to suffice and the picture is conclusive enough that Ponting is a liar and a cheat.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Go visit Australia, mate. Go deep into Queensland or near Alice Springs and see the condition of the natives and refugees.
Like i said, i have personal exeperince observing this- which means a damn sight more than some kid in england sitting on a computer and googling away like a fanatic.
That means nothing to me. I have presented to you why I think that Zimbabwe is worse than Australia in what I believe to be a fairly reasonable manner. All you have done is voice your own opinions with no hard evidence and apparently got a bit worked up while doing it. I haven't used google to research my posts, the only resource I have used is the letter which came from the appendix of Nasser Hussain's autobiography, something which I had to find due to your insistence for evidence.

Prodigy

Cricket Spectator
I live in Australia. I know a few FACTS that i will ponit out to you.

• FACT - Indigenous Australians have more rights that non-indigenous Australians, incluing special education provisions like AbStudy.
  • FACT - Refugees and Asylum Seekers are completely different.
  • FACT - Asylum seekers and refugees are let on Australian Shores. The adults are kept in Detention Centres
  • FACT - Children are treated fairly well
  • FACT - The conditions of the Indigenous Australians living in country towns is no different to that of African Americans living in Harlem, Enlgishmen living in downtown London, People Living in Chinese Slums or The bums living in Zimbabwe. Poverty is man made and it is a part of life
  • FACT - Before you say that i do nothing, I have been a heavy Social Justice and Refugee campaigner for the last 5 years. I will tell you that things are much better now than have been in the past, and Refugees are treated quite well.
  • FACT - Your argument holds no groundings. Goodbye

Scotty

Banned
For **** sakes. Prodigy is the worst member ever, he may aswell just get banned now to save time. Look, he's already turned a cricket thread into a political debate. He's also the biggest racist in the world, not good if you ask me.