• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

awesam1981

Cricket Spectator
Re

Haha I find it funny how the whole world is against the Aussies now, when more attention should be placed on the horrible umpiring. Watch both teams come with a something extra at Perth. It's gonna' get heated that's for sure.

And ughh! Bucknor to continue 8-) .
Even Australian Media agrees that Ponting was short on manners and polite talking. The guys who think he is fair.. please check the Today's Australian media. Hints. Fox Sports, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age.

"Ponting has become arrogant with every success and denigrates the opposition and then encourages his players to join in the rollick. His players as we have noticed during his captaincy become ill-mannered, foul-mouthed and aggressive to say the least towards teams from Indian, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. His encourages misdemeanour and transgression of ethics and morality of the game.
Source : BBC 606

Evermind

International Debutant
False. Nowhere has race been featured in caste discriminations - either in practice or in scriptural writings.

Yes, its called the 'british effect'.
It is true for marriage- completely untrue for jobs.
Nonsense. Vatsyayana's "Kama Sutra" mentions a preference for lighter skin - over a thousand years before the british set foot in India. It's in an inordinate number of sanskrit writings.

Not sure about what you mean by race being featured in caste discriminations. Do you mean skin colour?

For consistency's sake, Ponting should be BANNED.
Latif got banned for claiming a catch that was grassed...Ponting too claimed a catch dishonestly ( recurring theme with the Aussie cricketers for some strange reasons) and after grassing it therefore should be banned.

Evermind

International Debutant
"Ponting has become arrogant with every success and denigrates the opposition and then encourages his players to join in the rollick. His players as we have noticed during his captaincy become ill-mannered, foul-mouthed and aggressive to say the least towards teams from Indian, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. His encourages misdemeanour and transgression of ethics and morality of the game.
Source : BBC 606
From what I know, they're equally unpleasant towards the white players from England, NZ and SA as well.

At least it's not racism. 8-)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
this is such a ****ing convoluted mess...with harb also out, this is basically a one-man attack and kumble clearly cannot do it(take 20 wickets) alone in australia...also a whole lot of bad blood has spilled out and i can see the team relations at a new low for the remainder of this series(simmering, suppressed hostility at best)....at this point, hope india goes in with an attitude of nothing to lose and everything to gain, might help take some of the pressure off and help them perform better...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Getting pretty tired of the Australian fans dodging the point/being unable to understand it.

1) Racial abuse is bad.

2) Personal abuse is also bad.
Both ARE bad but personal abuse is really much different to racism.

"You suck at batting" is personal abuse. "Your mother is a whore" is also personal abuse.

But a racist remark is a racist remark. There is NO two ways about it.

3) Australians indulge in the latter, but are adamant that it should stay on the field, and should/must not be reported.
Yes, but what KIND in the latter? The 1st or the 2nd example? Most certainly and most often the 1st example.

4) Australians have also indulged in the former in the past, and have also said then: "keep it on the field".
As it mostly should be.

5) They now want to punish racist abuse, but mention nothing of other types of abuse that they freely and unabashedly indulge in.
Because of the aforementioned reason, they're two different things. Whilst personal abuse can get as bad as racism, it is Australian team policy not to do so. I actually posted a magazine article a while ago where, Healy I think, said it was explicitly mentioned to keep the kind of personal abuse (mother, wife, family) stuff out of the game.

It's almost completely straightforward logic TBH. Racism is worse, yes, but no one has been able to explain how and why other kinds of abuse is totally acceptable. If Harbhajan has received a 3 match ban for this, McGrath, given his less severe abuse towards Sarwan, should've gotten a 1-match ban. Instead, he was sympathised with. Ludicrous. Hell, we don't even have to go that far back.
He probably should have. But examples of personal abuse getting so bad is not common and are not the kind of comments people are talking about when saying "let's keep it on the field".

For, in reply to Gavaskar, you cannot say something about someone's spouse and then "have a beer after the match".

The sequence of events is this: Harbhajan hit Lee's butt, then Symonds "let him know what he felt about it" (20$ on there being homophobic remarks, BTW). Surely that included inflammatory words. It stands to reason that Symonds should be reprimanded as well - if we're talking in terms of bans, how about an ODI or two? Yet, there's nothing - of course, cause that's just how "the Australians play their game - fair and hard".
If there were homophobic remarks Harbhajan would have made a counter-claim. The fact that he hasn't done as such shows his weak position.

If it was "Get the **** off him". I reckon that's fine. Harbhajan has no reason/excuse for touching Lee with bat or otherwise in a striking action.

The Aussie team did nothing wrong with reporting Harbhajan, IMO. But it's a discontinuity in the status quo, and it's a policy that should've been adopted years ago. They're now being held accountable for something they've been doing for decades, and it's not going to sit lightly with people who've been at the receiving end for all those years.
Wrong. It's completely two different things and if you can't see that then you've been misinterpreting this 'Aussie culture' to 'keep things on the field'.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For consistency's sake, Ponting should be BANNED.
Latif got banned for claiming a catch that was grassed...Ponting too claimed a catch dishonestly ( recurring theme with the Aussie cricketers for some strange reasons) and after grassing it therefore should be banned.
He's also "as dishonest as they get" :laugh: .

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Particularly liked this quote:

"It is possible to love a country and not its cricket team."

Thought it was ironically relevant (despite coming in a different context) for those who were attacking posters for not supporting their national team.
Meh...Doesn't mean you should support another team.

awesam1981

Cricket Spectator
Re

Use logic mate. Why would the Aussies make up a charge of racism? ...... It seems the Indians are doing anything to get out of this charge and it's ridiculous. I just see absolutely no reason why the Australians would make up a fake charge against Harby...[/QUOTE]

the aussie skipper's last 4 test innings .....

RT Ponting b Khan 4
RT Ponting c Dravid b Harbhajan Singh 3
RT Ponting lbw b Harbhajan Singh 55
RT Ponting c Laxman b Harbhajan Singh 1
hahaha. -Reason why Aus [read Ponting] would make up a fake charge against Harbhajan.

Nonsense. Vatsyayana's "Kama Sutra" mentions a preference for lighter skin - over a thousand years before the british set foot in India. It's in an inordinate number of sanskrit writings.
You really have a penchant for declaring as 'facts' what you know naught about. Kama sutra and various sanskrit writings talk about complexion when talking, NOT color. Indian sensibilities historically was high on skin clarity and good complexion, not on skin color. i highly doubt you understand sanskrit or realize that most works are not perfect translations.

Not sure about what you mean by race being featured in caste discriminations. Do you mean skin colour?
no, neither race, nor skin color is the basis of caste system- family business practices are the reason for caste. And its not that hard to see why people of lower caste tend to be of darker color- when you are in the field under the tropical sun 12 hours a day, its pretty flipping hard not to develop a much darker complexion, especially given the fact that Asian folks develop permanent tans and not burned/blistered skin like white folks.

ozone

First Class Debutant
hahaha. -Reason why Aus [read Ponting] would make up a fake charge against Harbhajan.
Nah, I don't think Ponting would be scared to face Harby again TBH, Ponting is arrogant enough to think he's gonna go out and smash him around in the next test.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ofcourse he is, for claiming a grassed chance. If Latif could be banned for precisely the same thing, why isn't Ponting ?
Because they weren't the same thing. Something tells me 'sense' is not your strong-point. I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Evermind

International Debutant
You really have a penchant for declaring as 'facts' what you know naught about. Kama sutra and various sanskrit writings talk about complexion when talking, NOT color. Indian sensibilities historically was high on skin clarity and good complexion, not on skin color. i highly doubt you understand sanskrit or realize that most works are not perfect translations.
Here's a passage from the Kama Sutra:

"She in whom the following signs and symptoms appear is called a Padmini. Her face is pleasing as the full moon; her body, well clothed with flesh, is soft as the Shiras or mustard flower, her skin is fine, tender and fair as the yellow lotus, never dark coloured."

They're talking about a woman most attractive to the man.

The word for "dark" is Krsna, which is well known in classical sanskrit to mean 'dark' or sometimes 'black'' or 'blue'. The meaning is well-known and the translation is unequivocal.

Can't believe I'm defending something as commonly known as this, and it's sure as hell my last post on the Kama Sutra. :laugh:

Isolator

State 12th Man
Has there been a formal statement from Procter? Anything about how the ban decision was reached?

----

On the umpiring, incompetence (Bucknor) is forgivable, sort of, but what Benson did (checking with Ponting) was totally out of line. Should have his eyes gouged out.

---

Another thing, while I'll say it's foolish to expect sportsmanship and general decency on the field (and from mankind in general...), it really is irritating how Ponting's gone on about the spirit of the game and intergrity and so forth. Please, be dishonest by all means but don't also go about painting yourself as a saint - that's just a bit too much. Anyone remember his complaints about England's use of substitutes in '05?

---

Finally I'll say that the "control" issue needs to be looked at immediately. I'm amazed that so many people are ok with Ponting's take. There is just no way in hell that's a legitimate catch.