• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

pasag

RTDAS
A ban meted out (as far as I know) on the basis of one person's word against another. Not convincing.
Pretty sure most sports tribunals act that way, I think the AFL over here does where they take testimony of various parties and just because there is little audio evidence, doesn't mean they can't be found guilty. Anyways, am I missing something? Have the details of the hearing been published? People seem to be talking about it like they're intimate with the hearing when as far as I know there is very little accurate information as to what went on in those 6 or so hours.

Evermind

International Debutant
That isn't the case at all - the problem is you still haven't distinguished between abusive language and racism even though the difference has been illustrated towards you on countless occasions.

Nobody is saying one is OK and the other is wrong - there is just a very obvious distinction between calling someone a ****er and calling someone a monkey.
Ok, then let us acknowledge that both are wrong, but racism is worse. The Indians, having been at the receiving end more than others perhaps, would certainly agree. I've never said, as stephen implies, that there is no difference - there obviously is. Racism is worse.

Where do we go from there?

Do we punish Harbhajan and let the Aussie team go on with their personal abuse game after game? Or do we put an end to that too? Otherwise, it's hypocritical, and meaningless.

Clearly, the issue has more far-reaching and wider implications than you are willing to admit here. It's a convenient point that racism is worse than mere personal abuse, but we have so far heard no acknowledgement that invective-laden sledging also deserves to be punished.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cry babies???
How about crickets that complain about having to play too much cricket, then sign up for T20 games

or

Symonds to scared to tour Pakistan!
Insects playing 20/20!? I'd watch that! :sleep:

There's a difference between pulling out because you have the huffs and being frightened something might explode.

Evermind

International Debutant
I really believe that most of the controversy has been caused by the Indian media blowing things out of proportion - exaggerating and twisting the meaning of events to pander to the masses who follow the religion of cricket in India.
What you fail to see is the bigger issue - years of keeping a lid on issues that have been festering and only now are boiling over.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, then let us acknowledge that both are wrong.

Where do we go from there?

Do we punish Harbhajan and let the Aussie team go on with their personal abuse game after game? Or do we put an end to that too? Otherwise, it's hypocritical, and meaningless.

Clearly, the issue has more far-reaching and wider implications than you are willing to admit here. It's a convenient point that racism is worse than mere personal abuse, but we have so far heard no acknowledgement that invective-laden sledging also deserves to be punished.
It depends on the severity of what is being said. I think there is a lot of difference between niggling away at a batsman saying that he is playing poorly and calling a batsman a "****ing idiot with Mongoloids for kids."

I don't personally see the insult in one calling another a bastard - but then again, I come from Australia where the word bastard is something you call your mates.

I wouldn't want to see all sledging out of the game because it then loses its characters - but certainly, racism and extreme abuse should be dealt with harshly.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I invoke goodwins law!

Seriously, if one cannot tell the difference between deliberately racist remarks and the use of language which is considered "crude" or "foul" then one should not be able to participate in a debate on ethics, law and punishment. Intent and meaning are implicit in the application of law. What Hogg said was a more crude term, but the intent and meaning behind it were not racist in nature, nor necessarily even abusive.

I really believe that most of the controversy has been caused by the Indian media blowing things out of proportion - exaggerating and twisting the meaning of events to pander to the masses who follow the religion of cricket in India.
I think that the australian media and symonds have blown it out of proportion.Probably case of different perspective.

What Harbi said was intended as a racist comment because of both the intent and meaning of the words used, not because of the word itself.

So are you implying that bhajji wanted to show superiority of his ethnicity over symonds's ethnicity?

jeevan

International 12th Man
I actually do get it - thanks for asking.
In that case, my bad.

Many shades of opinion here, and clearly I've not read every post. I'm looking at the silver lining in here, being a clean up of bad boy behavior. (Which had grown in the Indian team as well, racism or otherwise. Even if Harbhajan said 'teri maan* ki' and not 'monkey' - one of the rumours floating around - still not good behavior.)

*maan = mother. Poor language in India involves sisters and mothers, not sure that it is better than bastards, by any means.

Andrew Pollock

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wouldn't dream of doing so. Which was wrong at the time. Is it just me, or does everyone think that all anyone who plays cricket in Australia does is walk around saying, "**** off you ****ing **** ****"? Sledging in its most common form is much more subtle than that sort of stuff, which sees players suspended here as well. Stuff like, "Seeing 'em alright today" after an early extravagant shot, giving someone some stick about wearing a crap looking Andrew Strauss-style helmet, and maybe batting like a Pom if they're going slowly (:p) is the sort of stuff that constitutes 95% of sledging.
Ok sensi,

What's you view on the Choo-choo, choo-choo remarks to Chris Carins (After his sister had been killed by a train) ?????????????????

Just part of the game hey.

Son Of Coco

What a surprise after what the aussie media did with their attempts to tarnish bhajji.:cool:
one even claimed that everything in india is based on caste.
What you give is what you get.
Were they wrong?

What you give is what you get doesn't work for this one...it's obvious both country's media outlets are going to be biased. It doesn't make what either one says right.

Son Of Coco

Ok sensi,

What's you view on the Choo-choo, choo-choo remarks to Chris Carins (After his sister had been killed by a train) ?????????????????

Just part of the game hey.
The ones that Cairns himself said weren't made at all? I think that story was made up for the benefit of people like yourself.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
No question? No offence, Nnanden, but you cannot use the unequivocal phrase "no question" going on that footage. There's no deviation as the ball goes up from the pad and balloons out. And if an umpire needed incredible sight to see it, it's just a shame there wasn't one of those in this game... :ph34r:

As for the potential boycott, I'm sympathetic to the Indian team and BCCI's cause, but this is not the way to go about it. No good can come out of the decision if they perservere with it.
Nah, agree with Nath here. Most replays were equivocal, but there was one replay with the super-slo mo camera that clearly showed the little finger being hit.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
No question? No offence, Nnanden, but you cannot use the unequivocal phrase "no question" going on that footage. There's no deviation as the ball goes up from the pad and balloons out. And if an umpire needed incredible sight to see it, it's just a shame there wasn't one of those in this game... :ph34r:

As for the potential boycott, I'm sympathetic to the Indian team and BCCI's cause, but this is not the way to go about it. No good can come out of the decision if they perservere with it.
Nah, agree with Nath here. Most replays were equivocal, but there was one replay with the super-slo mo camera that clearly showed the little finger being hit.

aussie_26

School Boy/Girl Captain
me and my mates want to know why are the indians calling someone with dark skin a monkey? dosent anyone see thre funny side to that

Evermind

International Debutant
me and my mates want to know why are the indians calling someone with dark skin a monkey? dosent anyone see thre funny side to that
Omg the irony in that! The monkeys calling a monkey a monkey! Hoo boy! Hell-arious!

I see it now.