• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So you expect tailenders to last out that many overs? Silly. Unreasonable to expect numbers 8 to 11 to last out that long against international standard bowlers. Possible yes, but highly unlikely.
Not any tailender. Not Bangladesh's, but certainly the way the game was headed those would have. India went into the last 20 minutes of the game with 4 wickets. They were comfortably blocking out Australia. In fact, it was because they were doing so well that Ponting tried anything and gave Clarke a punt.

India were more than in a good position to stay in. They lost 3 wickets in 1 over. That's pretty poor even for tailenders. So, that's pretty much what I am saying. It was still in their hands to draw it out. Nobody is going to tell me what Australia did at the end was normal or expected, as if other sides could have done it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tell you what, if people have serious problems with corroborative evidence being used in this context then, seriously, never enter a courtroom. So many major indictable cases where, forget about a ban from playing a game, people's lives are at stake, are decided by non-forensic evidence. Why? Because it is strong evidence. I know people will accuse the Aussie five who testified of collusion for malicious reasons but even when two people try to collude to lie about something (such as in a murder investigation), in my experience, their stories break down even with a few cursory questions and the crooks I've dealt with have usually had days, not hours, to get their story right. For five witnesses to collude and get even most details similar let alone enough to count as strong evidence, well, the probability of that being the case is pretty much negiligible.

That said, I don't support a ban for Harbhajan. I'm more inclined to see him in couselling of some sort because I honestly think the issue is one of education more than anything.

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So you expect tailenders to last out that many overs? Silly. Unreasonable to expect numbers 8 to 11 to last out that long against international standard bowlers. Possible yes, but highly unlikely.
I am sure Michael Clarke is very happy with his rating of international standard bowler - does that make him a genuine all rounder?

India held out bravely and would have got through against all other Aussie bowlers. The move to bring Clarke in was equally brilliant as it was deperate, he simply made the tailenders play at every delivery which increased chanes for wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, probably not the best turn of phrase. More meant accusing them of cheating.
Jack I cant believe this. I must have misunderstood. Are you seriously suggesting banning someone here for accusing the umpires (or Australian players) of cheating ?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else find the last hour quite amusing in terms of the number of overs bowled? I mean, all through the test, even with 2 spinners operating at times for both sides, their overrates were atrocious. Yet as soon as 1 team was given a time limit, they would've managed about 16-17 overs in the last hour (if it was a drawn match they would've bowled that many imo). And that was including the lengthy delays when RP Singh & Sharma came out to bat (which was quite funny in itself, as was the huge delay in the morning session for the final ball of an over to get Yuvraj shin pads).

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anyone else find the last hour quite amusing in terms of the number of overs bowled? I mean, all through the test, even with 2 spinners operating at times for both sides, their overrates were atrocious. Yet as soon as 1 team was given a time limit, they would've managed about 16-17 overs in the last hour (if it was a drawn match they would've bowled that many imo). And that was including the lengthy delays when RP Singh & Sharma came out to bat (which was quite funny in itself, as was the huge delay in the morning session for the final ball of an over to get Yuvraj shin pads).
I did have a good laugh at Sharma coming out with 2 right handed gloves to kill some time - thats an old trick - although usually its "I forgot my box!" then it suddenly takes 5 minutes to locate one.

Laurrz

International Debutant
haha yea i was thinking that too

that said, Symo is one of those bowlers that gets through his overs very very quickly... like a Lehmann or Gayle.. one of his overs took 1 minute exactly apparently

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Not any tailender. Not Bangladesh's, but certainly the way the game was headed those would have. India went into the last 20 minutes of the game with 4 wickets. They were comfortably blocking out Australia. In fact, it was because they were doing so well that Ponting tried anything and gave Clarke a punt.

India were more than in a good position to stay in. They lost 3 wickets in 1 over. That's pretty poor even for tailenders. So, that's pretty much what I am saying. It was still in their hands to draw it out. Nobody is going to tell me what Australia did at the end was normal or expected, as if other sides could have done it.
It wasn't expected but was still within the realms of possiblity. Hat tricks and multiple wicket overs are always a possibility with that calibre of batsmen.
I am sure Michael Clarke is very happy with his rating of international standard bowler - does that make him a genuine all rounder?

India held out bravely and would have got through against all other Aussie bowlers. The move to bring Clarke in was equally brilliant as it was deperate, he simply made the tailenders play at every delivery which increased chanes for wickets.
Where did I say Micheal Clarke wa san international standard bowler? Still though, going by his stats you could say he's an allrounder.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This could have been a really great series if Khan was not injured, Sreesanth was fit & Harbhajan was not injured. Since i strongly believed after what i saw on the first day @ the MCG India had the bowling resources to turn this series into the spectacle the Ashes series had.

Now a few rough decsions later Australia are 2-0 up & the series has lost its hype...

sideshowtim

Banned
BTW, Sharma should've been Timed Out. He didn't take his guard within 3 minutes of the last wicket falling. I suspected they'd try something like that to waste some time, so I counted, and he took well clear of 3 minutes. The whole glove thing took nearly 2 minutes itself and he hadn't taken guard til well after 3 minutes. India were lucky in that regard.

pasag

RTDAS
Was watching clips of the press conference yesterday, the way Ponting reacted to the Indian reporters question was disgraceful and not befiting a captain of a national cricket side. It's one thing if things happen on the feild (although I'm in the camp that wish it wouldn't) but once you carry it back out, it's taking things a bit too far. He could have acted with some composure and tact, tbh.

I think the Indian media response in that room was pathetic as well and I feel for Kumble who looked mortified at all the rabble and cries of indignation. Was embarressing. If they felt they'd been poorly treated, go through the proper channells to make a complaint, their actions there were cringeworthy.

Still, nearly everything in this match has been blown completley out of proportion, it's like people are looking for problems and confrontations. Some of the posts in this thread have been truley woeful, posts calling for cancellation of the tour or a split between Asia and the rest of the world. These do not come from cricket fans, but from idiots.

It's sad when a guy like Sharad Pawar comes across as more level headed than many of the people here and in the media:

Speaking from Mumbai last night, Pawar called for calm and said he was determined to preserve strong ties between the nations.

"There is an extremely good relationship between the countries. There has been a conflict on the field and an issue has been reported by some players, but I don't want to react," Pawar said. "It is important it should not spoil the relationship between the countries or the teams. That is not our desire."

Laurrz

International Debutant
This could have been a really great series if Khan was not injured, Sreesanth was fit & Harbhajan was not injured. Since i strongly believed after what i saw on the first day @ the MCG India had the bowling resources to turn this series into the spectacle the Ashes series had.

Now a few rough decsions later Australia are 2-0 up & the series has lost its hype...
the Ashes in 05? nah that was something else... Hoggard Harmison Jones Flintoff at there absolute best.. so hard to handle

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Still has plenty of hype, not of the type anyone wanted but still there nonetheless.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Was watching clips of the press conference yesterday, the way Ponting reacted to the Indian reporters question was disgraceful and not befiting a captain of a national cricket side. It's one thing if things happen on the feild (although I'm in the camp that wish it wouldn't) but once you carry it back out, it's taking things a bit too far. He could have acted with some composure and tact, tbh.

[/I]
where can i watch this

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jack I cant believe this. I must have misunderstood. Are you seriously suggesting banning someone here for accusing the umpires (or Australian players) of cheating ?
The accusation that the umpires deliberately cheated to win Australia the game, yes. There is past history in this sort of thing on internet forums, and with the amount of trolling going on about it at the moment, as well as being detrimental to forum atmosphere, the forum needs to cover its own backside.

funnygirl

State Regular
BTW, Sharma should've been Timed Out. He didn't take his guard within 3 minutes of the last wicket falling. I suspected they'd try something like that to waste some time, so I counted, and he took well clear of 3 minutes. The whole glove thing took nearly 2 minutes itself and he hadn't taken guard til well after 3 minutes. India were lucky in that regard.
what about Brett lee?