• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I dunno...I think he shoulda declared an over or two again now...but I can understand him wanting to rule out the possibility of an Indian win when we're 1-0 up in a 4 game series. I think we've now done that, and the two results possible are Australian win and draw...We bowled the Indians out twice in around 70 overs in Melbourne so...it can be done.

Ah, we've declared. Good stuff.
It is a poor declaration according to me. Should have declare after Australia reached 300 maximum and here are my reasons. I guess we disagree on the timing of the declaration.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Far out the comments on here have once again been dire. You think Ponting hasn't been thinking about what to do throughout a long and sleepless night? How ridiculously hard must it be to be a Test Captain? Get over yourselves. Will not be coming back to this thread anytime soon, waste of my time.
Yeah, some of the comments in this thead are just pathetic. Ruins tour threads when you can't have proper, intellectual discussion. Sorely tempted to follow you and not post in this thead anymore.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I hope those that criticised India for their actions and defensive tactics in the third test vs. England and vs. Pakistan last year, will also criticise Australia here.

The exact same thing, protecting a series lead. In fact, Australia can be seen to be even more defensive considering that they have the opportunity to equal a record.
Even ignoring the record, I think there's much more justification for criticising Australia here. In the matches you referenced, a draw would secure India a series win - there was no incentive to win in the context of the series. If this game is drawn, Australia could still draw or even lose the series itself, which makes it more defensive in my mind, even ignoring this record business.

I also have to laugh at Ian Chappell's automatic conclusion that Australia believe their best chance of winning is if India try to play out a draw. If any other captain had delayed the declaration to this point, Chappell would label the decision an overly defensive one and criticise the negative captaincy. There always has to be another explanation where Ponting is concerned though; I found that quite amusing.

Perm

Again Jaffer failing against Lee and the new ball, should he be dropped for the WACA Test match? I'm predicting Yuvraj to drop out of the side, with Dravid dropping down the order, which further complicates the opening issue as India won't want two green batsmen facing Lee.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, some of the comments in this thead are just pathetic. Ruins tour threads when you can't have proper, intellectual discussion. Sorely tempted to follow you and not post in this thead anymore.
Go then.

Obviously you and Nathan Bracken's lover know more then anybody of us.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There's no onus to give India a chance though...the wicket's not exactly a minefield...until Jaffa gets out :happy:
300 is a run rate of above 4. There would be a .000001 chance of India winning this test here despite the pitch not being a minefield. The onus is there to get an unbeatable 2-0 lead and you want as many overs as you want for it. 5-6 overs could be a difference between draw and victory.

Taylor said that he would have probably declared with a lead of 310 (to get off 75 overs) on Star Cricket right now. That is understandable for mine. Playing it so safe to go till 333 is a bit too conservative, again in Taylor's words.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting has always been fairly defensive with declarations, I really don't know why anyone is surprised. Look back at his captaincy history, every time a follow-on call or a declaration decision is there to be made, Ponting leans towards safety first. I think in this instance the reasoning would have been that Australia had more to lose with an aggressive declaration than gain. 300 in 80 odd overs is actually quite chasable, the pitch isn't that bad, and Australia just scored at 5+ an over for the entire morning with minimal risk. If India had been set such a target I'd have thought they'd be more likely to chase it down than to be bowled out, though a draw would still have been most likely.

Delaying the declaration along with the early wicket basically pushed an Indian win off the table, excluding a miraculous innings or two. No question it was defensive, but I don't think it was actually a bad or pointless decision. It's not as though Australia were 500 ahead with no chance of losing. Australia still have a shot at winning, just 5-10 less overs, and a loss is much less likely IMO.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I’m excited :D VVS to star in an historic win :D Just need Dravid to get out so the run rate stays possible :) If only

I have to say I do admire the way Gilchrist always bats for the team – the spirit in which he plays the game is brilliant

Mitchell Johnson’s over before lunch was awful – I really want Tait to replace him for the Third Test – there’s a small window with bowlers like Tait.

duffer

Heh, Bill must've been horribly burnt by Tubbs and Greig's Bondi vs The Yarra comments earlier in the match. He's been taking potshots ever since. :laugh:

pup11

International Coach
I’m excited :D VVS to star in an historic win :D Just need Dravid to get out so the run rate stays possible :) If only

I have to say I do admire the way Gilchrist always bats for the team – the spirit in which he plays the game is brilliant

Mitchell Johnson’s over before lunch was awful – I really want Tait to replace him for the Third Test – there’s a small window with bowlers like Tait.
Johnson is one of Ponting's favourites so can't see him getting dropped and that's why he is given such preferenceal treatment.