• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

pup11

International Coach
This charge makes a bit of sense of a replay that puzzled me from today. During a chane of ends a few overs after the exchange, Harbhajan approached Symonds as they passed near the pitch. No idea what they said, but Harbhajan's body language was sort of apologetic, and Symonds looked straight past him and kept walking. As Harbhajan turned his head away, Symonds shot across a look of absolute rage.

It puzzled me a bit at the time, but makes a bit more sense now.

On another note...

Firstly, congratulations on progressing from crayons to the keyboard. Well done, sir.

Secondly, Symonds didn't go to the media when the incidents occurred in India. He actually tried to downplay the issue. The media pretty much came to him. Thus, accusing him of being a "cry-baby" for being unhappy with racial taunts is somewhat disingenuous.

Thirdly, IF Harbhajan made any such comments (and until he is given a chance to defend himself at the hearing, that's a BIG "if") then he is an idiot. After the furore in India, if anyone connected to either team (or anyone who follows either team- hint, hint) doesn't realise that likening a man of Afro-Caribbean descent to a simian is going to have a racial connotation, then they should hand back their brain, as it is clearly only being used to fill in an otherwise blank space.
Haha... very well said mate, btw loved the "crayons to keyboard" line!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Secondly, Symonds didn't go to the media when the incidents occurred in India. He actually tried to downplay the issue. The media pretty much came to him. Thus, accusing him of being a "cry-baby" for being unhappy with racial taunts is somewhat disingenuous.

Thirdly, IF Harbhajan made any such comments (and until he is given a chance to defend himself at the hearing, that's a BIG "if") then he is an idiot. After the furore in India, if anyone connected to either team (or anyone who follows either team- hint, hint) doesn't realise that likening a man of Afro-Caribbean descent to a simian is going to have a racial connotation, then they should hand back their brain, as it is clearly only being used to fill in an otherwise blank space.
1)Symonds pretty much said in the media that he was abused and went complaining to cricket australia which the media picked up on.

2)He also made comments about harbhajan and sreesanth that they were very being bad sportsmen and should be charged.he before the series made comments about how superior they were to our team and the t20 wc does not matter.
To which harbhajan replied
"They think they are superior and can do and say whatever they like, but that is not the case," he said at the time. "They are very bad losers. They were beaten in the (Twenty20) World Cup and they clearly did not like that.

"They are a very good cricket side, but that does not mean that they can do whatever they want to do. They say they play the game in the right spirit, but they don't in reality. There is nothing gentlemanly about the way they play … They think you cannot fight back and they do not like it when you do."
3)Even if the media comes to you ,you can and have the right not to speak.

4)So making comments about family's is correct but calling one animals is not to you aussies.

5)The crowd do not neccessarily go into how a player will percieve this chant.the crowds never did want to make fun of his ethnicity they were just mocking his phisical outlook ;ile it has been done in the past with glenn mcgrath being called a "giraffe".
It just turned out that symonds percieved it as racism.

6)In india monkey is not used to taunt ethnicity as it is in australia so the crowd did not have any knowledge that it would be percieved like this because in indian context saying something about family is considered way bigger abuse than in australia.
Monkey is considered as the predecessor to human being in india and was used at symonds because he is built big and has hair like a cavemen and looks raw.
It was nothing more than calling sachin shorty

7)Harbhajan had no reason to abuse symonds out of the blue and now he is denying it.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/harbhajan-denies-race-slur/2008/01/04/1198950074550.html

8)In india saying something about religion is way bigger than saying something about ethnicity.And Indian people are generally liberal towards about crowd abuse barring religious ,threatening or family taunts.But perhaps it is opposite in australia.

Firstly, congratulations on progressing from crayons to the keyboard. Well done, sir.
Oh i'll go to the mods like that crybaby symonds and claim that you are racially abusing me because I am and indian and we are minority on this board.:laugh:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dude do you even have a clue what you are talking about , i think you simply hate Symonds which is clearly evident from the dire explanations you are trying to give.
Harbhajan is a complete dickhead and i am not shocked to hear that he has done such a thing, as far as you accusing Symonds of being cry-baby is concerned, then let me tell you mate, nobody in the world would love to talk about such an issue to the media and make a joke himself, Symonds is obviously hurt by the comments made by Harbhajan and just to avoid such an incident in the future he had no choice but to complain about it.
But if he get's hurt so easily then he should not go to batsmen and say things to him as he also could get hurt.
AS they say when you give,you should be ready to take.

When dhoni went and complained in india to the umpires about australian abuse.Ponting said that India despite saying they are aggressive are not aggresive really.
Should indian's say that now?

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
1)Symonds pretty much said in the media that he was abused and went complaining to cricket australia which the media picked up on.

2)He also made comments about harbhajan and sreesanth that they were very being bad sportsmen and should be charged.he before the series made comments about how superior they were to our team and the t20 wc does not matter.

4)So making comments about family's is correct but calling one animals is not to you aussies.

5)The crowd do not neccessarily go into how a player will percieve this chant.the crowds never did want to make fun of his ethnicity they were just mocking his phisical outlook ;ile it has been done in the past with glenn mcgrath being called a "giraffe".

6)In india monkey is not used to taunt ethnicity as it is in australia so the crowd did not have any knowledge that it would be percieved like this because in indian context saying something about family is considered way bigger abuse than in australia.
Monkey is considered as the predecessor to human being in india and was used at symonds because he is built big and has hair like a cavemen and looks raw.

7)Harbhajan had no reason to abuse symonds out of the blue and now he is denying it.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/harbhajan-denies-race-slur/2008/01/04/1198950074550.html

8)In india saying something about religion is way bigger than saying something about ethnicity.And Indian people are generally liberal towards about crowd abuse barring religious ,threatening or family taunts.But perhaps it is opposite in australia.

Oh i'll go to the mods like that crybaby symonds and claim that you are racially abusing me because I am and indian and we are minority on this board.
:laugh:
Oh FFS.

Post reported.

shankar

International Debutant
It's not analogous. Many ethnic groups use certain terms with each other that if a person outside that ethnic group used towards them, it would be offensive. The people outside that group know or are quickly taught what's right and not. Why do people within those groups do it? It's a way of 'de-offensing' it. When someone outside that group then uses it, it almost reinvigorates the offense. My Aboriginal cousins call me and other relatives racial epithets all the time, for example. It's different and there's a reason for that.
But 'monkey' is not a racial term at all within Indian groups.
Even if the crowd in India didn't understand the full connotations of it, they know it hurts him. Yet they did it even after they knew that. At the very best it makes them nasty.
This I agree with though. And if Harbhajan, representing the country said anything similiar after all that happened during that tour, then he deserves severe punishment.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Nope. Symonds made no prejudicial comment on the matter until after the BCCI denied that it had occurred, which he rebutted. The media picked it up first, and when initially questioned, Symonds completely downplayed it, while not excusing the abuse.

You're wrong.

Again, the comments he made about Harbhajan and Sreesanth were AFTER the series. The media storm was DURING the series.

Before the series, he commented that the Indian team seemed to be a bit too excited about a win in the third rung of the game. These comments were pretty silly. Unfortunately, that has absolutely nothing to do with racial abuse, either by the crowds in India or the alleged incident today.

You also have every right to speak to them. Again, his comments regarding his views on the assignment of blame for the onfield verbals in India have nothing to do with today's alleged incident.

Speaking hypothetically (because, as I have said, I will wait until the results of the hearing to either condemn or defend Harbhajan's conduct), likening an Afro-Caribbean man to a monkey- particularly after the press coverage regarding how the comparison is historically a racial slur, thus obliterating any "ignorance" defence- is pretty much the top rung of offensive taunts.

Also, you won't get very far by trying to pigeonhole me as "you Aussie". I have stated this before, but for the benefit of the perennially slow: I was born of an Indian mother and an English father, and am a naturalised Australian. I have equal affection and loyalty for all parts of my heritage.

Funny how I only ever have to point this out to people who are so caught up in their own nationalist prejudices that they try to project their prejudice onto others...

I made this point in the discussion at the time. I am quite sure that the chants at the first game were perfectly innocent. After the media uproar from that game, and the publicity that the racial connotation was given, the number of people making the "monkey" chants rose significantly.

In my reasoned view, the first instance was probably quite innocent, but the bandwagoneers at the next and subsequent games were almost certainly doing it with the knowledge that it would be taken as a racial slur.

See above. Then pause, and take the opportunity to consider whether or not you should lay off the red cordial. No real reason, mind- I just get the feeling the suggestion might be of use to you.

Bracken: always there with the handy hints.

Fair enough. Notice how I have made a point of not pre-judging him before the charge is heard? Notice how I made it clear how foolish it would be to either condemn OR defend him without the benefit of hearing the evidence?

Notice how, out of you and me, only one of us is following this sage advice?

Notice how, out of the two of us, one of us is coming across as a calm, reasoned observer, and the other is coming across as a probably-unhinged, desperate, nationalistic sycophant?

Coincidence? You be the judge...

Indian sociology, courtesy of the galactically simple. Bravo and pass the f-ing gravy.

Unfortunately, it has exactly NOTHING to do with the matter at hand. The issue is whether or not Harbhajan broke the ICC Code of Conduct, not the hierarchical insult structure of India. If he is found to have been in violation, he will be punished. If not, he won't.

Oh i'll go to the mods like that crybaby symonds and claim that you are racially abusing me because I am and indian and we are minority on this board.:laugh:
Hmmph. I can't seem to find the "dropping one's strides and mooning whilst waving one's arse from side to side" smilie anywhere. Must be an omission.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The infamous Mcgrath - Sarwan episode where not only was Mcgrath let off lightly but also got the backing of his Prime Minister John Howard who supported his disgusting behaviour as 'a typical Australian thing to do'.
what action was taken for abusing families there?

Bracken

U19 Debutant
what action was taken for abusing families there?
Sigh.

So, not only are you trying to justify allegedly poor behaviour with past poor behaviour, but you're not even doing THAT right.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but, as I recall, the exchange between McGrath and Sarwan went something like:

McGrath: "Tell me, what does Lara's cevno taste like?

Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."

Then McGrath acts like a loon.

Sarwan was the only one to mention anyone's family. McGrath, while still being completely in the wrong, didn't.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Mensa aren't beating down your door, right?

funnygirl

State Regular
If Bhajji gets banned ,a huge problem for India .This is just unfortunate ,when things are going right for India .If he did abuse Symonds racially , definitely deserves a punishment .

An Indian makes racial comments ,what an irony .

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
"They think they are superior and can do and say whatever they like, but that is not the case," he said at the time. "They are very bad losers. They were beaten in the (Twenty20) World Cup and they clearly did not like that.
:laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sigh.

So, not only are you trying to justify allegedly poor behaviour with past poor behaviour, but you're not even doing THAT right.
Agreed. If you're going to look at 'past offenses', you have to look at what Lehmann said. I thought he was banned from tests, but some are saying he was only banned from ODIs? Well, whatever punishment they gave Lehmann, they should give to Harbhajan. I thought Lehmann got off way too lightly for what he said tbh. If I said what he said at work, I'd be fired on the spot.

What Bhajji allegedly said is just as bad, so its hypocritical to be any less upset about his outburst than Lehmanns. If you don't realize that (Cevno), you're just being foolish.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There are some reports that Harbhajan's remarks were racist in nature but the offspinner denied making such comments. "I haven't done anything - we were just talking. It wasn't even sledging - it was just normal talk out on the cricket field. I was concentrating on my batting," he told the Age. "I did not say anything racist. I do not know what is going on. I am here to play well for my country, to bowl well and to win this Test match.

"This is an important game for us and we have a chance to win - that's what I'm focused on."
- CI.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyone know if the exchange was caught on audio? It's a really weird thing for Symonds to lie about, and Harbhajan's inability to keep his emotions in check leads me to believe he might have said something after Symonds was needling him.