• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah so you were his old captain that refused to rate him when he was just a teenager and give him only a few overs as 6th change and still refused to rate him after running through England at Lords in 1997 :ph34r: :p
I played him as a batsman on merit...

Laurrz

International Debutant
why do i have this feeling when Aussies bowl a few indian batsmen will be given incorrectly because the Aussies will have many shouts against the indian batsmen... ::laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
All these people pointing out that India should have been good enough to come back from the ridiculous umpiring errros, thanks for stating the obvious.

The point is though, they aren't. On top of that, they've lost the toss again for a second test running, and their best fast bowler was injured and is now out for the series. Of course the umpiring errors are going to hurt even more in this case, and **** up a good test match.

India aren't the best test team in the world, no one is claiming that. And they're obviously not better than the Aussies either. But they have the right to have Symonds go back to the shed when they've got him out twice.

Cricket isn't about umpiring errors, no matter how many times people post that these human errors is what makes the game of cricket good. That's just romantic garbage.

Laurrz

International Debutant
no matter how many times people post that these human errors is what makes the game of cricket good. That's just romantic garbage.
Brad Hogg (79) said the human element added to the drama of the game.

"I just think you have to keep the human element in there,'' he said.

"It is just fantastic when you are ... sitting back and enjoying the Boxing Day Test match in your lounge room you have bit more to talk about with that human element and it creates a different feel.''
interesting, i actually agree with that.. didnt they use technology in the world xi test? apparently that was unsuccessful (not sure why too long ago cant remember)

it'd be annoying having everything referred upstairs too.. time consuming..and with slow overrates already
it wouldnt feel like cricket IMO

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket isn't about umpiring errors, no matter how many times people post that these human errors is what makes the game of cricket good. That's just romantic garbage.
I've heard a lot of the "cricketers make mistakes; umpires do too" stuff today, but when a cricketer makes too many mistakes he gets dropped, while umpires who drop ridiculous howlers keep getting selected for Tests.

If these guys are the best they have, you gotta bring in more use of technology and having competent video umpires using them. The way it is currently, is well below acceptable.

pup11

International Coach
There is a lot of talk about how poor the umpiring has been today and how things have gone against India to which i completly agree but this shouldn't be an issue that India should take as an excuse and take their focus off the game, which was pretty much the case and it showed in their body language today, the umpiring decision went against them but overall they were quite mediocre in the field and they bowled way too many lose balls and that's primarily why the Australia are in such a great position.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
All these people pointing out that India should have been good enough to come back from the ridiculous umpiring errros, thanks for stating the obvious.

The point is though, they aren't. On top of that, they've lost the toss again for a second test running, and their best fast bowler was injured and is now out for the series. Of course the umpiring errors are going to hurt even more in this case, and **** up a good test match.

India aren't the best test team in the world, no one is claiming that. And they're obviously not better than the Aussies either. But they have the right to have Symonds go back to the shed when they've got him out twice.

Australia is not a bad sad either. I would love to see the reactions of fans of any country if Tendulkar was let off in Mumbai, Azhar twice in India and stuff. Agree with you that don't see how it makes the game of cricket good.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There is a lot of talk about how poor the umpiring has been today and how things have gone against India to which i completly agree but this shouldn't be an issue that India should take as an excuse and take their focus off the game, which was pretty much the case and it showed in their body language today, the umpiring decision went against them but overall they were quite mediocre in the field and they bowled way too many lose balls and that's primarily why the Australia are in such a great position.
Look, Australia are by far and away the best side in the world. Frankly, no side in the world is good enough to beat them, and when that rare occasion of an Aussie collapse does present itself, and the umpires give them several more chances - it is going to deflate anyone. It's too easy to say they were deflated - and they were but they were playing a team who hasn't lost a match since 2005 FFS.

You cannot beat them unless luck goes your way - and if it actively goes against you, what do you expect?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would disagree with that TBH. Symonds alone was out a hundred runs ago, and Ponting about 40 runs before. No matter, this test is gone anyway. And India do need to improve their fielding, as everyone knows.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You cannot beat them unless luck goes your way - and if it actively goes against you, what do you expect?
By definition, luck can't actively go for or against anyone.

:D

pup11

International Coach
interesting, i actually agree with that.. didnt they use technology in the world xi test? apparently that was unsuccessful (not sure why too long ago cant remember)

it'd be annoying having everything referred upstairs too.. time consuming..and with slow overrates already
it wouldnt feel like cricket IMO
All this is boiling down to a point where ICC would have to make some sort of a move to stop poor umpiring decisions from ruining a team's chances in a game (India have already made up their mind that they are gonna lodge an official complaint against the umpires), i think rather than involving technology too heavily i would prefer 3 referels being provided to both the captains so that both captains can use their own respective referels in case if they don't agree with an umpire's decision, yeah that would probably challenge an umpires authority but its better than a team bearing the consequences of a poor decision.

Evermind

International Debutant
Brad Hogg (79) said the human element added to the drama of the game.

"I just think you have to keep the human element in there,'' he said.

"It is just fantastic when you are ... sitting back and enjoying the Boxing Day Test match in your lounge room you have bit more to talk about with that human element and it creates a different feel.''
Right. That's when it goes against the other team. When it goes against Australia, we're certain to see a livid Ponting in the umpire's face. Hogg's just saying that cause it's all fine and dandy for Australia ATM. Let's see if he's as magnanimous if Dhoni is given not out twice.

Not that it's likely to make much of a difference in the final scoreline. :laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia is not a bad sad either. I would love to see the reactions of fans of any country if Tendulkar was let off in Mumbai, Azhar twice in India and stuff. Agree with you that don't see how it makes the game of cricket good.
It's generally accepted that Australia didn't get the rub of the green with umpiring decisions in the 2005 Ashes, for instance. There were plenty of complainers on this forum and elsewhere at the time, so it's not just Indian fans that take umpiring badly. Though honestly I don't remember any conspiracy theories about the umpires being cheats or anything in that series, at least not on this forum. It's still annoying when Australian fans blame umpires anyway, and a lot of the people who have minimal tolerance for complaints about umpiring in this series also found it annoying then.

I don't mind people being upset with umpiring decisions, but I do find it annoying when that disappointment translates into accusing the umpires or the team of cheating, blaming the result of the day/match/series entirely on umpiring decisions, or generally suggesting that Australia (or any other side for that matter) wins a lot because they "generally" get the better of umpiring decisions.

The last attitude in particular is very prevalent and very silly. TEC posted earlier in this thread that Australia "always get the rub of the green with umpiring decisions, injuries and everything else". Perhaps the reason Australia seems to be the luckier team is because they actually take advantage of breaks they get? As was mentioned earlier, Yuvraj got a major letoff at a key moment in the first test and got out next over. Symonds made an unbeaten century today. Australia are pretty good at staying motivated as well, and tend to stick through bad luck without just giving up, like India did in the evening session today. Luck happens, but if you are always getting the better side of 50/50 situations is generally because you're doing something better than the opposition. Maybe you're appealing better, maybe you just make minor breaks seem more significant by taking advantage of them, or minimise the damage of bad luck by sticking with the task at hand. And regarding injuries, training and general fitness obviously play a part, as well as squad depth.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly on first viewing I thought he was dead but when they showed subsequent frames, when his foot flattens, it looks like its levitating. But no, it's actually grounded.
I can see what you're getting at regarding optical illusions.

For instance, I thought my son had actually bought me a pint at the pub last night but then I realised that it was still only 2008.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right. That's when it goes against the other team. When it goes against Australia, we're certain to see a livid Ponting in the umpire's face. Hogg's just saying that cause it's all fine and dandy for Australia ATM. Let's see if he's as magnanimous if Dhoni is given not out twice.

Not that it's likely to make much of a difference in the final scoreline. :laugh:
You make your own luck just by being the best team, I suppose.

It's why teams like Chelski, Manure etc get all the disputed decisions going their way.

pup11

International Coach
Look, Australia are by far and away the best side in the world. Frankly, no side in the world is good enough to beat them, and when that rare occasion of an Aussie collapse does present itself, and the umpires give them several more chances - it is going to deflate anyone. It's too easy to say they were deflated - and they were but they were playing a team who hasn't lost a match since 2005 FFS.

Look mate i agree with your views but still whatever has happened has happened and nothing can be done about that, everybody knows that the umpiring decisions robbed India big time but still you can't let your shoulders drop and you have keep your heads high and focus back on you game i know its not easy but a professional unit should be able to do that, and your point about no team being good enough to beat Australia might be a realistic one but if any team goes into a game with that sort of mindset then they have already lost the game.
Symmo was very very lucky today but then one can say he and Hogg had the right mindset even when their team was competly on the mat, they counter-attacked and rode their luck (to ridiculous proportions one might add) so having the right mindset is probably half the battle won!