• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Bracken

U19 Debutant
LoL

i just saw the replay for that decision on Symonds, oh my... how could you not give that out? are the umpires scared or something????

Meanwhile is Ponting going to get in trouble for his dissent like Yuvraj did?? Ponting muttered something too.... to himself though

Personally i wouldnt have called up either for dissent like that honestly its just staring in disbelie... but now that theyve dubbed in Yuvraj... they have to be consistent so i expect Ponting will get similar treatment.
Except Yuvraj was cleared.

Both Ponting and Sharma sailed close to the wind today, but given the precedent from the first test, I doubt either will suffer any consequences.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Both are capable of reverse. Lee never has bowled conventional swingers in test match cricket. The only time i ever remember him swinging the ball conventional was at Sydney in 03/04 but other than that hes been gun barrell straight with the new ball.
disagree
swung it in the lankan tests.. particularly in hobart in the morning of day 3

but yes he doesnt swing it much.. but i think in general its hard to swing it in Aussie.. in Saffer before he swung it crazily with the new ball.. (the tour without McGrath and where Clark made his name)

but i dont see Lee as a big a threat in this match as Clark or Symo.. who nibble the ball around and 'kiss the top of the pitch' (i think thats the quote)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Meanwhile is Ponting going to get in trouble for his dissent like Yuvraj did?? Ponting muttered something too.... to himself though

Personally i wouldnt have called up either for dissent like that honestly its just staring in disbelief... but now that theyve dubbed in Yuvraj... they have to be consistent so i expect Ponting will get similar treatment.
Considering Yuvraj's was 100 times worse and he got nothing I'd think not.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Both are capable of reverse. Lee never has bowled conventional swingers in test match cricket. The only time i ever remember him swinging the ball conventional was at Sydney in 03/04 but other than that hes been gun barrell straight with the new ball.
Lee does not have big movement but he conventionally swings the odd one slightly which is enough to trouble the batsmen at his pace and puts a doubt in batsmen's mind for future deliveries too.His seam position is nice
You have to consider the fact that the bowl does not swing as much in australia as it does in england, south africa and specially in srilanka.Even in India there is more swing than australia
on some pitches.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia just showed what makes them the best team in the world, they can come backs from the depths of defeat (well, not defeat, but you get the point) and put on a fantastically quick partnership. It really is a quality which you cannot teach, whereas India would have capitalated for 150 all out, Australia are now 376/7. Fortune favours the brave: Just how brave have Australia been in this Test series?!

On the first days of both Tests, it would seem that Australia have clenched the advantage through edges, poor decisions and agressive batting. I cannot rationally convey my emotions about the unluck which India have had to deal with on the field, nevermind off it with injuries.

I have a strange complex about me in that I used to always secretly support Australia in their series'. It was a simple mindset that they are the best, so they should win - I know it is infantile, but it is how I thought. I promise you that there is not a smidgen of support or acceptance of their dominance in this series!

Come on India!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Except Yuvraj was cleared.

Both Ponting and Sharma sailed close to the wind today, but given the precedent from the first test, I doubt either will suffer any consequences.
Yuvraj was warned though.
But i agree that neither of ponting or sharma should be warned.If they are then the umpires and the third umpire should be punished too and even more harshly.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Ponting deserved a charge of dissent, but he did act like a dick, not for the first time in his career either.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Ponting deserved a charge of dissent, but he did act like a dick, not for the first time in his career either.
Pehaps him acting like a dick put pressure on the umpires for future decisions.
The umpires know in back of the minds that aussies will contest the decisions while the Indians will just get on with it.:dry:as our captains have to be mr.nice guys.

Craig

World Traveller
That didn't happen when Symonds was given not out. They lost the plot and gifted Australia a massive first innings total and in all likely-hood, the Test match as well.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why on earth does it need to be 100% reliable? The fact that it improves reliability from 95%-97% is more than enough reason to use it. I dont care what it is, but even 1 decision can affect the course of a series. One possibility is to limit the referrals to 3 decisions per game for each team. That way it does not take up much more time than the game already does. I myself am a big fan of third umpires being able to overule on-field umpiring decisions. I dont care how often it makes the on field umpire look like a fool, i think the bottom line is improving the effectiveness of the game itself and if that means that the umpiring decision is not THE BE ALL AND END ALL then so be it. If there is conclusive proof that a batsman is out/not out, that is you can determine within the 2 minutes that it takes for the new batsmen to come in, then it should be overruled immediately. At least it takes out decisions that are absolute howlers from the game.
Totally agree, couldn't have summed it up better myself

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That didn't happen when Symonds was given not out. They lost the plot and gifted Australia a massive first innings total and in all likely-hood, the Test match as well.
I did not mean that when i said get on with it but i meant that they would unlike ponting and smith just make a frustrated expression on the face and not go and demand an explanation from the umpire.when a Indian third umpire made a wrong decision in their last test tour here ponting criticised him while kumble would end up saying"these things happen"even they are absolute clangers by the umpires.If the rub of the green goes against you once i can understand but not always with crucial decisions which can ruin careers.
When there is a tight call the umpire favours the aussies because he knows subconciously that if he does get it wrong in their favour then Indians would not point it out while the aussies would.
As for loosing their cool, They keep the anger with themselves and try to bowl even more exquisite deliveries which is not possible all the time and results in them getting impatient and giving loose balls.Ishant sharma,19 got frustrated after that symonds caught behind decision and tried harder and ended up twisting his ankle instead of celebrating a wicket and getting cofidence.How do you legislate that?
Their are careers which are at stake here.He could easily be dropped when zaheer,munaf
and sreesanth comeback and could be forgotten or he could be remembered for a good showing against australia.

pasag

RTDAS
A top day of Test cricket - granted the umpiring was largley substandard and the skill level in certain areas on both sides wasn't great but the contest was awesome with the momentum and state of the game shifting constently. Two excellent partnerships (with the umpires help) have kept us in the match and I was very proud of the way, Symonds especially, made the most of his chances to go on and score a ton. Hogg played some superb shots and it was one of the most enjoyable Test knocks I've watched in ages. Symonds might get the credit and would look the better one if you just read the scorecard, but Hogg's innings really started the comeback and allowed Symonds to find his feet and grow in confidence. Not to mention it was chanceless at times (besides a few misses unless I'm forgetting something).

I hope people realise that the umpires were just crap in general and sort of hope we get a few unlucky ones against us to even it out in the second innings. I think that would be only fair, although a bit perverse.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia just showed what makes them the best team in the world.....
Yes and no. For yes we bat down to 11 (where the final few get about 20 each), and we bowl and field with the best. For no we were ridiculously lucky today considering the collapse of our top order. Still when fate opens the door Australia has a habit of wedging a foot in there, and has for years now.

.....Come on India!
I can't bring myself to wish them a win but I admire them a lot and would really like to see a 'normal' game between us. One not affected by weirdly bad umpiring and crazy luck.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I just saw a youtube clips of the poor decisions and I have to say that Ponting was definately, without a doubt caught behind, but I can understand how the bat can flick trouser legs and the like when it is down the leg side. He was unjustly given out not too far into the future, Ponting's was a bit unfair for India but understandable.

Symonds on the other hand was very out against Ishant Sharma. It really does not get more out than that and you merely have to:
-Hear the noise
-See Symonds' reaction
-See Dhoni's reaction
-Hear the unanimous appeal
-Hear Slater's reaction...

To realise how out it was. Terrific ball and a club umpire should be expected to give those.

Then the stumping, oh dear, oh dear! Here is a magnifyed image with the bails disturbed and Symonds' foot in the air. I can vaguely understand benefit of the doubt, but this seems conclusive to me:

This seems even more conclusive to me:

Poor stuff from the umpires. I understand that I reek of bitter fan, but these decisions are just unacceptable. This is not an iscolated incident either, the England Vs Sri Lanka series had similar blunders and earlier series have too.

sideshowtim

Banned
You can see that the bail is completely dislodged in those shots? I think the third umpire was justified in not giving it out as it was impossible to see the bail completely dislodged until Symonds had his foot back in. There were some shockers, sure, but I thought that stumping was fair enough. It wasn't possible to see Symo's foot in the air with the bail completely dislodged, therefore he must get the benefit of the doubt.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You can see that the bail is completely dislodged in those shots? I think the third umpire was justified in not giving it out as it was impossible to see the bail completely dislodged until Symonds had his foot back in. There were some shockers, sure, but I thought that stumping was fair enough. It wasn't possible to see Symo's foot in the air with the bail completely dislodged, therefore he must get the benefit of the doubt.
Keepers hand has gone 'through' the line of the stumps, the bails must be dislodged for this to occur. I agree with the Australian commentators, that one is out, but I can kind of understand the benefit of the doubt. However, isn't the third umpire supposed to operate to eliminate this parameter of benefit of the doubt?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The Ponting one was interesting in terms of its effect on the game. Yes, it cost India about 30-40 runs, but if he had've been given out, you'd have had Clarke out there facing Ganguly early on to get himself in by the time that Kumble and Bhajj came on, whilst when he came in later on, he was facing India's best bowlers whilst they had the momentum and the pressure was on him.

Obviously the Symonds decisions were catastrophic for the Indian side, and especially after the caught behind it seemed as though all plans went out the window - they weren't executed at all, and because of the Australian's scoring rate throughout, Kumble was forced into defensive mode; this further allowed the Aussies to score a lot more runs with very few risks.

Also, with the Indians bowling so slowly throughout the day, it meant that they were always under pressure with regards to their over rate, and weren't able to slow down the game too much when Australian got on top. They couldn't change the tempo because they weren't allowed to slow down any further and make Australia wait for them.

biased indian

International Coach
ok so its 2-0 now....3-0 is any way going to happen its perth next rite...

so waiting for the fourth test first days play..we seem to play only 2 good session on the first day of the test...

And i think we people in india should start a pension fund for bucknor...how long he will do this to us...get the ********** man out of the game :(

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah I thought the Symonds stumping was a tad inconclusive, the picture was grainy and the angles weren't right and even though he was probably out and I can imagine an Indian fan would be upset about that, I don't think the third umpire did that much wrong giving benefit of the doubt to the batsman with that evidence.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Australia just showed what makes them the best team in the world, they can come backs from the depths of defeat (well, not defeat, but you get the point) and put on a fantastically quick partnership. It really is a quality which you cannot teach,
Yeh you definately cant teach useless umpiring. Easy to make come backs when batsmen keep getting second chances.