• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2007 - some stats

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Just a question thats bugging me - Is Strike Rate of any use in comparing bowlers ?

Because to use Strike rate to compare fast bowlers and spinners, is IMO very flawed - I just happened to notice Fidel Edwards has a strike rate of 42 or 45 in 2007 and a few others likewise...does that make them better bowlers than a spinner like Murali whose strike rate is 50 .9 in the same period ....Because fast bowlers bowl fewer overs ie shorter spells and fewer overs in a day than spinners in general would, they are bound to have lower Strike rates ... Does it then say that they would get more wickets had they bowled more overs or longer spells ...no.....so Strike Rate as a comparison between different types of bowlers is pointless....any thoughts?
Its very useful for comparing bowlers, with the proviso that its only useful for comparing fast bowlers with fast bowlers and spinners with other spinners. Within those categories, its one of the most telling stats, but spinners, by their nature, are always going to have worse strike rates.

pasag

RTDAS
Not only does that defeat the purpose of a "team of the year", he also stated specifically he wouldn't do that.

"Our task is to name the strongest team from the Test matches played in 2007. None of the retirees have been considered. Reputations mean nothing. Nationality has been disregarded. Sensitivities have been ignored. No apologies are made for the list leaning towards locals, or those who have blocked their path. It is the testing ground."
Yeah I didn't mind him having Ponting or Dravid there on reputation but he clearly said that wouldn't factor in. I know why you don't like the list though :p

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Well I certainly don’t – everything he writes is ill-considered and he always exaggerates just to make some not particularly insightful point. He also writes in a painfully overwrought style – which may be why I don’t mind him so much on radio as long as you take everything he says with a huge dose of salt.

Anyway Roebuck’s teams of the year are always a joke - particularly the 2004 side. :dry: He said he laughed out loud at Warne’s 50 best players – I think many do the same when reading his articles.
I tried finding the 2004 side, couldn't though..any help.

Is that the one with Taibu in the team?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I thought nobody took Roebuck seriously.
They don't. He starts the article by saying he can't remember anything about the year.:laugh:
He concludes his XI by saying "Only the fifth Aussie in the line-up. Truly we are the most modest people."
I knew he was insane and had lived in Australia for a few years but I didn't realise he considered himself Australian.:laugh:
Bad luck Australia, it serves you right for giving us Rolf Harris.

Craig

World Traveller
They don't. He starts the article by saying he can't remember anything about the year.:laugh:
He concludes his XI by saying "Only the fifth Aussie in the line-up. Truly we are the most modest people."
I knew he was insane and had lived in Australia for a few years but I didn't realise he considered himself Australian.:laugh:
Bad luck Australia, it serves you right for giving us Rolf Harris.
And you gave Australia your convicts :ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
They must have shipped most of their half decent cricket players out as well by accident :p
And Australia gave back Craig White (who aside from his many injury problems aside, I thought he was a decent enough cricketer).

I'm not just saying that Phlegm because he once for Central Districts :p

Flem274*

123/5
And Australia gave back Craig White (who aside from his many injury problems aside, I thought he was a decent enough cricketer).

I'm not just saying that Phlegm because he once for Central Districts :p
I think they should return Luke Ronchi to his rightful team, Central Districts. In return I'm happy to give them Lou Vincent.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I think you're right. I found the article but couldn't be bothered to read it to dissect who he was and wasn't choosing.:sleep:

Roebuck team of 2004
Ah…yes…it did not include Martyn – I’m still bitter :p He scored 6 hundreds in that year, 1353 runs @56 in 14 matches, was MoS in an historic test series in India, superb in general on the sub continent, MoS in home series against Pak (one test was in ’05) and ABC and Border awards (or whatever they’re called) Test Cricketer of the Year. Lara – who was in the number four posi scored 1178 @ 59 in 12 with 3 centuries, and that average included his 400*. And no, I didn’t know those stats by heart, I did have to look them up, but even before that confirmation I knew it was wrong :D Not to mention that the number three scored 2 hundreds only.

Anyway, I actually SMSed the ABC commentary team at the time and Glenn Mitchell read it out on air and then gave the stats. All Roebuck could say was ‘well you can’t include everyone’ :D

Oh, and thanks for supplying that article – nice to see he couldn’t even afford him a mention 8-)

Craig

World Traveller
I think they should return Luke Ronchi to his rightful team, Central Districts. In return I'm happy to give them Lou Vincent.
Technically Lou Vincent would have to be traded off to South Australia since he learnt his cricket there.