• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Craig

World Traveller
According to cricinfo: MR Gillespie 10.4 0 39 3 3.65

How on earth is that possible since this is a ODI? :blink:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
17 Man of the match awards and > 5000 runs at 110 strike rate is NOT underachieving in my books. Sure his average could be better but when you're plaing as high risk as that and scoring that quickly obviously the average will suffer. His value to the game as an entertainer is immeasurable
18 MOTM awards, but three have been on the basis of his bowling and a few more on his all-round efforts.

It's all well and good scoring 5000 ODI runs, but if it takes 249 games then it means little. If you take both his average and strike rate into account, that must mean you're happy with 23 off 21 balls in every game? Entertainment counts for almost nothing when evaluating a batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
Good batting from bangladesh in the first half of the innings but then they collapsed rather comically. The high risk game they were playing with good batting mixed with some very lucky slogs was always going to be a case of live by the sword, die by the sword. Hope McCullum gets going on this pitch to create some excitement.

Fiery

Banned
18 MOTM awards, but three have been on the basis of his bowling and a few more on his all-round efforts.

It's all well and good scoring 5000 ODI runs, but if it takes 249 games then it means little. If you take both his average and strike rate into account, that must mean you're happy with 23 off 21 balls in every game? Entertainment counts for almost nothing when evaluating a batsman.
Poor effort tbh. If you're going to get fastest 50s and 100s all over the place you are going to win games for your team. He doesn't get 23 off 21 every innings, he has 2 extremes which are miles apart and the times he comes off more than make up for the failures imo. I thought the point of international sport and sport in general was entertainment btw. Why do they put it on TV?

Last edited:

Perm

Poor effort tbh. If you're going to get fastest 50s and 100s all over the place you are going to win games for your team. He doesn't get 23 off 21 every innings, he has 2 extremes which are miles apart and the times he comes off more than make up for the failures imo. I thought the point of international sport and sport in general was entertainment btw. Why do they put it on TV?
Yes, you will occassionally win games. More often than not you will make a low score off a few balls, and that is why on average, he scores 23 from 21 balls per innings. You're quite happy with a batsmen who may win 1 out of 10 games, but his failure will contribute to losses the other 9 times?

They put sport on TV to make money, obviously. The entertainment provided by Afridi to some people doesn't make him a better batsmen than he is, which you were trying to suggest.

Fiery

Banned
I've just noticed Scott Styris's test batting average is 6 higher than his 1st-class record. His ODI ave is also greater than his ListA one. Safe to describe him as a big match or clutch player as shown by his WC performances yet?

Fiery

Banned
Yes, you will occassionally win games. More often than not you will make a low score off a few balls, and that is why on average, he scores 23 from 21 balls per innings. You're quite happy with a batsmen who may win 1 out of 10 games, but his failure will contribute to losses the other 9 times?

They put sport on TV to make money, obviously. The entertainment provided by Afridi to some people doesn't make him a better batsmen than he is, which you were trying to suggest.
By entertaining people. Disagree with your opinion of Afridi. Would have him in my team any day

Perm

I've just noticed Scott Styris's test batting average is 6 higher than his 1st-class record. His ODI ave is also greater than his ListA one. Safe to describe him as a big match or clutch player as shown by his WC performances yet?
Initially Scott Styris was a bowler, and it took a few years until he discovered he could bat sufficiently to be selected as a pure batsman. That, moreso than being a big match player, explains the big difference between his international and domestic stats.

Fiery

Banned
Initially Scott Styris was a bowler, and it took a few years until he discovered he could bat sufficiently to be selected as a pure batsman. That, moreso than being a big match player, explains the big difference between his international and domestic stats.
Yes, but you'll always find something to argue with me about :dry: I really don't like talking to you about cricket anyway because you really don't know much having only followed the game for a short while..(make that about anything tbh, but you follow me round and tug on my shirt everywhere)

Last edited: