• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
FFS, Mason looked really good in the T20 and is far better than Martin in the shorter stuff. Dire.

From that group of twelve I imagine it'll be

McCullum
How
Fulton
Styris
Taylor
Sinclair
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel

Craig

World Traveller
Yes and because we wound up bowling Vettori into the ground whilst he was still a teenager, he wound up getting a serious stress fracture in his lower back that has seriously limited his wicket taking ability for the greater part of his career. The point I was making, is how many nameless faces do you see drafted in to the Indian team in their teens, for every Tendulkar? I would say, at a conservative estimate, at least a dozen. Tendulkar was a freak, his kind don't come along very often. The rest need to be carefully managed and slowly introduced to harder levels of cricket. Firstly why don't we see how Southee handles a full season of first class cricket. If he handles that OK, then give them a shot on a couple of A tours. To just assume that Tim Southee is gonna be a smash hit at international level right now, on the grounds that we don't know for sure that he won't be is, quite honestly stupid. And I'm not saying that you're stupid Fiery, I have the highest respect for most of your opinions, but this is a ******** (can I say that?) assumption. I suppose there is a chance that he might emerge from a couple of matches against Bangladesh unscathed, but if you admit that he would only be playing against them, then what's the point? Would you really want to risk a potentially excellent player's physical and mental well being, just so we could have a teenager in the team? And it's not exactly as if we're suffering a seam bowling crisis at the moment. Bond and Franklin will be back in a month or so, Mills is in form, Martin is looking good, Adams can't stop taking domestic wickets, Jacob Oram is looking solid and steady and Mason still deserves a run in the side, before you can even begin to consider Southee.
Isn't that what happened with Ian Butler, picked way too early?

Fiery

Banned
Isn't that what happened with Ian Butler, picked way too early?
Apparently he was a nightmare tourist. Remember someone saying he "infected the whole dressing room with his misery" or something. Think it was Bracewell

Flem274*

123/5
FFS, Mason looked really good in the T20 and is far better than Martin in the shorter stuff. Dire.

From that group of twelve I imagine it'll be

McCullum
How
Fulton
Styris
Taylor
Sinclair
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Patel
AWTA Mason should be there. They look as though they hate bounce and if they think Mason is bad wait until they face Oram. Cramp them up with good line and length in at the body with the odd ball just back of a length and we've got 'em I reckon.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Vincent
2. How
3. Taylor
4. Fulton
5. Styris
6. Oram
7. McCullun
8. Vettori
9. Mills
10. Mason
11. Patel

But given that Vincent has been dropped, the favouritsm towards McCullum opening and playing Hopkins, means we won't see that XI play on Boxing Day.
Obviously it won't be the actual side for this series but I agree nearly entirely with your side. Would try Fulton opening with Sinclair at four or five though wouldn't complain if that side took the field TBH.

Edit: Actually after a quick rethink, swap Adams for Mason (though again, Mason was impressive last night and would be alright in the above side).

Last edited:

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes and because we wound up bowling Vettori into the ground whilst he was still a teenager, he wound up getting a serious stress fracture in his lower back that has seriously limited his wicket taking ability for the greater part of his career.

I agree that hes far too young. 21 or so is about as young as you should be brought into the side. And thats only if you have a real top talent, I think Taylor was 22 when he started.

But I dont agree with your point there about injuries, If he wasnt bowling in internationals, he would have been bowling in domestic stuff. I guess theres a few more internationals than domestic stuff but you would be bowling a lot in the off season anyway, its just bowling, doesnt matter where.

I guess Im disagreeing with my own point but It also depends on the maturity of the guy. Vettori was a 60 year old in an 18 year olds body. Ryder??. not so much.....

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Just as a footnote though its nice to have a new name to talk about. The same old names that failed before being talked about again and again just gets me down about NZC. Good to have some new talent.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Went down to Hamilton to watch yesterday, was really looking forward to seeing the Under 19s but tbh it was pretty disappointing. I wasn't at all impressed by their batting, except for Kane Williamson who I thought looked a class above the rest, but **** running cost me the chance to see him and Corey Anderson batting for a while. From their bowlers, I liked the look of Trent Boult - he looked pretty sharp, got in close to the stumps and it looked like he was swinging it a bit too. Its a bit hard to judge spinners in 20/20, especially when the game's already lost, but I thought the Under 19 spinners looked pretty decent too.

From the other game, I thought we played like complete ****. Our batting in particular was awful, though I don't know what was with our team selection - guys like How, Hopkins, Marshall (though he actually did ok) and O'Brien just aren't suited to 20/20, or in O'Brien's case just aren't suited to international cricket at all. Oh well, charity game I guess. Southee looked quite quick and swung it too (gave away a few too many wides though), was a bit unlucky with Ashraful scooping him over fine leg 3 or 4 times, Fleming should have put a man back there. O'Brien was crap as expected, Patel bowled way too flat - we needed to take wickets, we were never going to strangle them out of the game - while Mason was pretty good.

Overall, I thought the standard of cricket was piss poor all day. I'm not sure what it looked like on tv, but live the pitch looked pretty dodgy in terms of the bounce - quite a few stayed really low, especially off the slower bowlers, so maybe that had something to do with it. Dion Nash looked good though, just wish he hadn't been ridiculously injury prone like every other decent bowler we've produced.

I don't want to read too much into it, since it was only a 20/20 with half our players not in contention for the ODI side, but we should still be winning these games IMO.

Fiery

Banned
Plenty of players can have their careers devastated by a horrifying start. Remember Kenny Rutherford? I don't think he ever recovered from his nightmare start against the Windies. Admittedly the Bangla's are a slightly less intimidating proposition than the island pace quartet, but the same idea remains. A bad early experience can stay with a player throughout their careers, and if Southee struggles against Bangladesh, how is he gonna feel about having to step up against vastly superior opposition down the track?
I didn't actually realise just how young Southee was. I was thinking he was a bit older. Have to retract my argument and concede you guys were probably right, having just noticed he has only just turned 19.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't actually realise just how young Southee was. I was thinking he was a bit older. Have to retract my argument and concede you guys were probably right, having just noticed he has only just turned 19.
:thumbsup:

Respect for that much.

In other news, good to see Martin Crowe really laying the boot into the Bracewell/Vettori combination.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
He shouldnt be playing in any odis full stop..

he has NO Class ... hes not quality in ANY Sense of the word

Would rate mason above him.. infact i would rate most people above him