• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sean (arch) does, of course, but the posts on this thread have more to do with backing Emerson for taking a similar attitude to the one you mention, rather than the fact he takes it himself.

Emerson, for mine, was grossly at fault for doing his job improperly - it's not the Umpire's job to decide he knows better than science, it's the Umpire's job to accept that his eyes are not the be-all-and-end-all. He should never, ever no-ball a bowler who has been specifically cleared. Of course, the process of the time was shocking, the idea of no-balling a bowler on the basis of the human eye's suspicions woeful, so that at least was not his fault.

However, I will always feel Ranatunga was justified in taking the stand he took that day. No-balling someone in a game, especially when they've already been cleared, is messing with their career, nothing more. Everyone who held Muralitharan dear had every right to be absolutely incandescent.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Emerson, for mine, was grossly at fault for doing his job improperly - it's not the Umpire's job to decide he knows better than science, it's the Umpire's job to accept that his eyes are not the be-all-and-end-all.
Poor old Emerson had very dodgy peepers. In the same game that he called Murali for throwing he failed to send a run out to third umpire when it was quite a way out. It was so far out that commentator Paul Allot called it in real time on first viewing.

Lostman

State Captain
Poor old Emerson had very dodgy peepers. In the same game that he called Murali for throwing he failed to send a run out to third umpire when it was quite a way out. It was so far out that commentator Paul Allot called it in real time on first viewing.
that was pretty good game,
yea i believe it was Mahela who benefited form that runout, he ended up making a big hundred he was just breaking into the side as well.
SL needed 300-ish something to win, when they came to bat one of the lights went off. Remember seeing 3 shadows on the field, Jayasuriya blasted a quick fifty, and Mahela made an excellent hundred thanks to Emerson. Mahanama and Gough then started to headbutt each other in the middle of the wicket, and for good measure Murali hit the winning runs and SL won by 1 wicket (in the last over?) Damn that was a really good game, must watch that whole game again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, yeah, the suspicion was that Emerson was "distracted" and thus failed to call for assistance when said obvious run-out happened. :dontgetit

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Murali has been proven NOT to chuck.

However Warne was found guilty of taking banned drugs

Therefore Warne deserves to be treated the same as Marion Jones.

Hence, Murali is the greatest spinner of all time.

Quite simple really .....:)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Murali has been proven NOT to chuck.

However Warne was found guilty of taking banned drugs

Therefore Warne deserves to be treated the same as Marion Jones.

Hence, Murali is the greatest spinner of all time.

Quite simple really .....:)
Warne was found to take a masking agent, nothing more. No performance enhancing drugs.

Migara

International Coach
KaZoH0lic said:
Warne was found to take a masking agent, nothing more. No performance enhancing drugs.
Acutally hydrochlorothiazide is used to mask steroids. Warne was not suffering from hypertension to take that as a medicine. Prpbaly wanted to look good on TV, nothing else.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Acutally hydrochlorothiazide is used to mask steroids. Warne was not suffering from hypertension to take that as a medicine. Prpbaly wanted to look good on TV, nothing else.
How is that different to anything I said?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
How is that different to anything I said?
You said "Warne was found to take a masking agent, nothing more. No performance enhancing drugs."
If he was taking a masking agent that covers up the use of steroids - which is a performance enhancing drug - then that's hardly a case of "nothing more" otherwise why take the masking agent.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You said "Warne was found to take a masking agent, nothing more. No performance enhancing drugs."
If he was taking a masking agent that covers up the use of steroids - which is a performance enhancing drug - then that's hardly a case of "nothing more" otherwise why take the masking agent.
The masking agent IS the diuretic. It can be used as such, it doesn't mean it was.

Migara

International Coach
Warne was prbably masking his hypertension.

Or he was listening to his mum. His mum looks to be a very bad women, Warne's womanising acts all have been carried out according to her instructions! What a brat!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Warne was prbably masking his hypertension.

Or he was listening to his mum. His mum looks to be a very bad women, Warne's womanising acts all have been carried out according to her instructions! What a brat!
WTF

So it was his mum that had the camera?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The masking agent IS the diuretic. It can be used as such, it doesn't mean it was.
Yea, but it probably was. He took it while recovering from an injury. An injury he came back suspiciously fast from.

Steroid use is the most overrated thing in sports, and I don't really care who takes it. But let's be real here. He probably took it to recover from injury, and it very likely could have helped save his career. Who knows how many wickets he got due to that? No way to know, and frankly, it doesn't really matter to me.