• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the next generation of spin bowlers?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Chawla IMO......he impressed me a lot in ODis v England.
He's tremendously good for his age level - reminds me a lot of one of my fave bowlers, Mushtaq Ahmed.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't turn out to be a quality spin bowler in the future.

Pragyan Ojha's another with pretty big hopes pinned on him.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Don't look for any spinners coming out of the WI. They play one match then are dropped for a few years.

Craig

World Traveller
He has promise, but has a longer way to go than Murali Karthik and Ramesh Powar. Chawla is a leg spinner, and can bat, so you'd want to keep an eye out for him, but he needs to develop more. The other two are pretty much the finished product, and are in their primes, so I'd go for them right now.
Whatever happened with Amit Mishra, thought he was meant to be the next great thing?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whatever happened with Amit Mishra, thought he was meant to be the next great thing?
He dropped off for a bit, but is slowly coming back and still has a very good domestic record. He was picked for the South Africa A tour recently. In the selectors eyes though, I don't think he is among the top three-four spinners after Kumble.

Migara

International Coach
The bowlers who are in international arena, four names comes immediatly to the mind.

Monty Panesar, has a bright future. he may not be a Murali or a Warne, but can become a clas finger spinner like Saqlain.

Jeetan Patel - very very steady bowler, and turns it too.

Abdur Razzaq - going to be a legend in ODI cricket. His misery is Gavin Larsen esqe in ODIs.

Enamul Haq (jnr) - Spins it a mile, and has lot of variations too. Better variety than Panesar. If he plays regularly I tip him to be the next greatest spinner.

Talking about SL, Malinga Bandara, Rangana Herath, MMM Suraj, and Dilruwan Perera are leadin spinners at the moment.

Herath is 29, so we could not expect a long career from him. But he's heck of good left arm spinner. I love to see him bowling on same pitch as Monty for world to see Herath's Wizadary with line, length, flight and speed. He posses a doosra too, spinnng in to the right hander, in addition to arm ball.

Bandara has makings of a good ODI spinner, but far too flat and quick for a test leggie. Unless he slow down and flight it more, am failing to see him taking bucket load of wickets in international matches.

MMM Suraj, is a tall off spinner, who put loads of over spin on the ball. He balls brisk too. This makes him the off spinning version of Anil Kumble. Steep bounce s his weapon. He has a quick slider also, which rushes in to batsmen, but his stock ball is the most venomous one.

Dilruwan Perera is a slow bowling all rounder. He can turn the ball appreciably, and armed with a good slider too. He'll be a fixture in SL ODI team within next 2 years. When Jayasuriya calls it a day, Perera will take up his spot as opener and 5th bowler of the side (He's a good hitter too).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with your views on Suraj, Herath and Bandara. Mind you I think once Bandara starts bowling in games he will find the right pace to bowl at again, i.e the right variety. ATM his just a net bowler who has decent lines but becomes predectable after a couple overs, due to his lack of game time over the last 18 months.

Mind you I can't see Perera getting anywhere, he can spin the bowl but has no accuracy or real variation. His never going to be a front line batsmen or even an opener in International Cricket. He struggles to fill the role successful at domestic level. Just another example of trying to find a quick fix for a retiring legend.

Migara

International Coach
Mind you I can't see Perera getting anywhere, he can spin the bowl but has no accuracy or real variation. His never going to be a front line batsmen or even an opener in International Cricket. He struggles to fill the role successful at domestic level. Just another example of trying to find a quick fix for a retiring legend.
He looked very good when he played the only ODI, He could be a good no 7/8 batsman. With Maharoof in the side, future SL side has makings of a great one, given the amount of all rounders that are in the fringes.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
True. Was intrigued to find out he started out better than Warne and Murali. Could have been gun.