• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Come In Spinner

archie mac

International Coach
I went to a talk by Terry Jenner on coaching spin bowling. One thing he said is 'it is all fast bowler now; check out any coaching forum and all you will find is fast bowling'

I just had a look at the threads on this page:laugh:

Anyway do we have any spin bowling coaches on this forum?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I do a fair bit of it, not really getting paid or anything, but just get invited down to various places to help out. Just do it to get a bit of good publicity for my club, and just learn from how different kids are bowling. I've been exposed to so many different theories from different coaches, that I feel as though I should have at least something worthwhile to pass on.

archie mac

International Coach
I do a fair bit of it, not really getting paid or anything, but just get invited down to various places to help out. Just do it to get a bit of good publicity for my club, and just learn from how different kids are bowling. I've been exposed to so many different theories from different coaches, that I feel as though I should have at least something worthwhile to pass on.
Have you done your Level 1?

Jenner said they are trying to make it 'streamlined' so that all spin coaches in Aust teach the same basics. He does not think this will create bowling clones:)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, haven't done my Level 1. I am the Level 1. :cool:

Nah, seriously, I actually appear in the handbook for the Level 1 coaching book in a few examples/diagrams. I think there's few of me as a left arm orthodox, ducking out of the way of a few, and maybe even bowling a few chinamen. Should get around to doing it eventually.

archie mac

International Coach

Nah, seriously, I actually appear in the handbook for the Level 1 coaching book in a few examples/diagrams. I think there's few of me as a left arm orthodox, ducking out of the way of a few, and maybe even bowling a few chinamen. Should get around to doing it eventually.

We are both left arm, I bowl a great armball, in fact I only bowl armballs:laugh:

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant

Yeah seen you in that manual, looking sharp

Done my level one but really it is designed for Dads that have hardly played cricket to coach their kids at junior levels. Level 2 and above is more interesting and slightly more testing.

Done level 1 for Australia and England. Both were different in their own ways.

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah seen you in that manual, looking sharp

Done my level one but really it is designed for Dads that have hardly played cricket to coach their kids at junior levels. Level 2 and above is more interesting and slightly more testing.

Done level 1 for Australia and England. Both were different in their own ways.
I think England go up to No. 4?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think he should take all of the credit:-O
Yep and just like he shouldn't take all the credit for Warne success. Really he had more success with him on a mental front then bowling front from all reports. So really if a young spinner has an attitude problem then they should call Jenner. Maybe he should work with Crosgrove and Pomerbash.

archie mac

International Coach
Yep and just like he shouldn't take all the credit for Warne success. Really he had more success with him on a mental front then bowling front from all reports. So really if a young spinner has an attitude problem then they should call Jenner. Maybe he should work with Crosgrove and Pomerbash.
Well if you read Jenner's bio or any of the dozen or so Warne bios then they would not agree with you, as they all say he was big on the tech side of Warne's game

He seemed to know his stuff at the talk I attended:)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well if you read Jenner's bio or any of the dozen or so Warne bios then they would not agree with you, as they all say he was big on the tech side of Warne's game

He seemed to know his stuff at the talk I attended:)
Care to explain how is hasn't had a single other success story in Cricket. He was working with the Academy with all the spinners since it started and full time there for about the first 10 years, then on and off since. His also worked with a lot of other talented spinners in World Cricket and pretty much all of them went backwards after they worked with him. There is no doubt he know his stuff, im sure anyone who played Test spinner would know a fair bit. But I still question his ability to apply it while coaching when you look at his long list failures. Yeah a fair few were always going to fail, but they fact that they all started to go down hill after he worked with says a fair bit for me.

archie mac

International Coach
Care to explain how is hasn't had a single other success story in Cricket. He was working with the Academy with all the spinners since it started and full time there for about the first 10 years, then on and off since. His also worked with a lot of other talented spinners in World Cricket and pretty much all of them went backwards after they worked with him. There is no doubt he know his stuff, im sure anyone who played Test spinner would know a fair bit. But I still question his ability to apply it while coaching when you look at his long list failures. Yeah a fair few were always going to fail, but they fact that they all started to go down hill after he worked with says a fair bit for me.
Not sure the reason :) Maybe we will have to wait a bit longer or maybe you are right:-O

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Did he have anything to do with Peter McIntyre?

TBH I have no idea, just wanted to get McIntyre on this forum.

bond21

Banned
Yeah and look what happened to Danish Kaneria, Dan Cullen, Nathan Haurtiz, Callum Bailey and Cam White. More failures then success for Jenner.

Dan Cullen plays for SA, Hauritz plays for NSW and Cam White captains Victoria and is more a batsman than a bowler....

playing state cricket is not a failure. Our domestic competition is by far the best in the world. It was also a bit hard for any of them to play a test match when the best spinner ever is playing....

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dan Cullen plays for SA, Hauritz plays for NSW and Cam White captains Victoria and is more a batsman than a bowler....

playing state cricket is not a failure. Our domestic competition is by far the best in the world. It was also a bit hard for any of them to play a test match when the best spinner ever is playing....
Never said the players were failures. Just that Jenner involvement meant they went backwards in their careers not forwards. They were all playing FC cricket before he got involved with them.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Dan Cullen didn't make the XI this week. Hauritz can't crack the NSW 4 day side. The injured Cam White gets picked only because of his batting.

Shane Warne could be like Ian Thorpe, instead of getting people wanting to copy him, everyone thought it was too hard to be as good as him, so they tried the easier option of pace bowling or batting and standing in the slips all day. :)