• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Vivian Richards - master or myth?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you're going to use one poorly worded post I made ad nauseam against the litany of sheer crap that comes out of your keyboard? You've never had much credibility with 90% of people on the forum when it comes to your views on cricket anyway, I'm sorry to say.
Nah, very wrong. Dunno how you've arrived at that conclusion, either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63783.html

I'm sure the England Batsmen agree that surface was fairly low & slow :laugh:
Yeah, was saying Sabina Park used to be one of the surfaces that wasn't slow and low. Sabina and Kensington Oval were traditionally quick, bouncy, seamer's paradises. Bourda and Queen's Park Oval weren't, though, UIMM.
From what I remember of the 89/90 series the pitches had a bit of pace in them, certainly much more than the English pitches of time. I certainly don't think they were the bowlers graveyard's they are now throghout the 70's & 80's.
The Recreation Ground, St.John's was ever something other than a bowler's graveyard? :-O

chalky

International Debutant
Yeah, was saying Sabina Park used to be one of the surfaces that wasn't slow and low. Sabina and Kensington Oval were traditionally quick, bouncy, seamer's paradises. Bourda and Queen's Park Oval weren't, though, UIMM.
UIMM -??

Sorry missread your post :ph34r:

The Recreation Ground, St.John's was ever something other than a bowler's graveyard? :-O
Yeah always been, & even more so since Andy Roberts took over as Groundsman. You would think he would have more sympathy for his fellow quick bowlers.

I don't think the West Indies played too many tests at Antigua though so it shouldn't really distort Richard's stats that mutch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unless I'm much mistaken.
Yeah always been, & even more so since Andy Roberts took over as Groundsman. You would think he would have more sympathy for his fellow quick bowlers.

I don't think the West Indies played too many tests at Antigua though so it shouldn't really distort Richard's stats that mutch.
First there wasn't until 1981, but in it Richards himself hit that century off 56 balls, and given most of the stuff that happened in the 1990s I've generally tended to almost presume that there was never anything in it for the bowlers whatsoever. Should probably look at it on a match-by-match basis TBH.

Fiery

Banned
Richards himself hit that century off 56 balls, and given most of the stuff that happened in the 1990s I've generally tended to almost presume that there was never anything in it for the bowlers whatsoever. Should probably look at it on a match-by-match basis TBH.
So in other words, you admit you've come to a conclusion from one freakishly good innings about how bowler-friendly a pitch is over several years.

I know it's hard for you Richard but sometimes it's better to not comment on something when you know nothing about it. Just more posting for the sake of posting. Dire.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know nothing about it, at all. St.John's, Antigua has always been a bowler's graveyard since the first time I heard of a Test there, in 1994. That's more of the ground's Test career than not.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
God, this thread is suffocating.

Hey Fiery, remember when Peter Williams used to commentate the cricket? "An arrogant shot from Viv Richards."

JBMAC

State Captain
The only sensible response to most of your posts is "What a load of Codswallop"..in particular your posts on Cricket.You have obviously never played the game seriously and rely on other peoples opinions on who was a "great" of the game.
To ascertain that Viv Richards was not eligible for a top 10 of batsmen of all time is taking somebody else's opinion and ideas and using as your own.You cannot be taken seriously and most probably don't deserve to be.
I have watched Test and played First Class Cricket for nigh on sixty years and feel at least qualified to pass an opinion that is respected, both my peers, and those who followed.
I should like to know what your own Cricket background is to give you some credibility.
This may seem a harsh post to you but too many times posters on this forum and others as well make assertions based on thin air suppositions without having a background to substantiate those assertions.
So, in your case,young man, it's is time to put up or shut up.

Fiery

Banned
The only sensible response to most of your posts is "What a load of Codswallop"..in particular your posts on Cricket.You have obviously never played the game seriously and rely on other peoples opinions on who was a "great" of the game.
To ascertain that Viv Richards was not eligible for a top 10 of batsmen of all time is taking somebody else's opinion and ideas and using as your own.You cannot be taken seriously and most probably don't deserve to be.
I have watched Test and played First Class Cricket for nigh on sixty years and feel at least qualified to pass an opinion that is respected, both my peers, and those who followed.
I should like to know what your own Cricket background is to give you some credibility.
This may seem a harsh post to you but too many times posters on this forum and others as well make assertions based on thin air suppositions without having a background to substantiate those assertions.
People are gonna think that's directed at me, the previous post. You should have used a quote. :p. Whole-heartedly agree tbh ;)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
People are gonna think that's directed at me, the previous post. You should have used a quote. :p. Whole-heartedly agree tbh ;)

I don't think anyone would think that..........the description is just so accurate that there's only one poster it could be.:cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've played cricket, I've watched cricket, seriously in both cases. I don't need to have done it for more than a few years to have gained sufficient understanding.

Most people on here do take me seriously, I regret to tell you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd not be unhappy TBH, but it'd be total violation of forum rules, and people have been banned for starting similar polls in the past.

JBMAC

State Captain
I've played cricket, I've watched cricket, seriously in both cases. I don't need to have done it for more than a few years to have gained sufficient understanding.

Most people on here do take me seriously, I regret to tell you.
Unfortunately Richard the above mentioned does not hold water. If people on this forum consider you a serious contender then why are there total threads devoted to your "having the last say" etc.etc?
To ascertain you have done it for a few years should indicate you have an understanding but that does not appear so.( and I am using the Viv Richards thread purely as an example)
I am certainly NOT trying to belittle you or your observations on the game.Merely pointing out that you cannot be so Pedantic and should be more open to other's opinions granting them the respect you expect them to give you.
By doing doing this you may just learn a little more in knowledge wisdom and maturity thereby making yourself a real asset to this forum and not be sniggered at behind your back.
You would certainly have the computer skills to run rings around me as posts like this one takes me a good ten minutes to do. :laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
That a good thing? :dry:
Much better than people not posting, would be a pretty boring forum if only you and me (or should that be 'I') were on here for instance:

AM= Richards is great

Fiery= I agree

AM= The Master Blaster:cool:

Fiery= Yes great batsman

AM= You can say that again

Fiery= Yes a great batsman