• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next England Manager

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
If you're not interested in 2002, how come you kept mentioning it as examples of his failure?
It was a collective failure in 2002 and he has the benefit of the doubt there, England's failure in 2004 was all down to him without any doubt.

I doubt I'd have bothered to specifically blame him in 2002 when the case is so overwhelming for 2004.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Changed your tune then.

Funny that.

As for 2004 - is it his fault the referee disallowed the goal or that Rooney got injured?

No, so maybe its his fault that the players can't take penalties?

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Changed your tune then.

Funny that.

As for 2004 - is it his fault the referee disallowed the goal or that Rooney got injured?

Is it the refs fault he disallowed the goal when Terry was clearly pulling the keeper back?

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Changed your tune then.

Funny that.

I haven't changed my tune at all, why would I have even bothered in the first place with 2002 when the case is overwhelming to everyone but you (and the typical brain dead football fan) in 2004?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You've used 2002 in the past until it suited you to drop it.

As for 2004, I ask for the umpteenth time, is it Sven's fault that Rooney got injured, the referee disallowed the goal and the players missed their penalties?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
You've used 2002 in the past until it suited you to drop it.

As for 2004, I ask for the umpteenth time, is it Sven's fault that Rooney got injured, the referee disallowed the goal and the players missed their penalties?
no but it was Sven's fault that our tactics looked decidedly schoolboy, resulting in us losing to a mediocre side, which even without rooney, we shouldn't have even got to extra time let alone penalties against.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
So he can use injuries as an excuse then, but when it happens to Sven, it's poor management...
Except Sven's got a lot of quality back-up, Charlton have little to no back-up due to tight finances.

Craig

World Traveller
Doesn't Steve Coppell manage Brighton, surelyt as left field calls would go, then that is one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Doesn't Steve Coppell manage Brighton, surelyt as left field calls would go, then that is one.
Coppell's a decent manager, but couldn't hack the pressure when he went to Citeh (lasted about 30 days IIRC), so has absolutely no chance with the goldfish bowl that is the England manager's life.

Plus, if the rumours are to be believed, the tabs would have a field day with his personal life.

Matteh

Capello claimed it was the chairman that benched him.

All the other good bets are counting themselves out, leaving basically Capello and Redknapp. I'm hoping Hiddink gets sacked from Russia after losing all 3 games at the Euros personally.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Harry Redknapp
Sven Goran Erikkson.
Can't quite decide who's taking the proverbial more there. :p

If Mourinho wants it and the FA can find a big enough wheelbarrow to carry the money he'll cost he's the only choice for me.

EDIT: Seems the former is the case anyway. From today's Observer: Mourinho: "Come and get me, England" :thumbsup:

Always a little sceptical with these "sources close to" stories, but it does seem very well informed with the bit about his daughter being bullied since they've gone back to Portugal.

Last edited: