• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's spin bowling options for the tour Down Under

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Malinga > Sree
Vaas > Zaheer
Dilhara/Maharoof =< RP/Munaf
Murali > Kumble

TBH.
I'm not sure Vaas > zaheer tbh. Vaas is a pale shadow of the bowler he used to be and I think ZK has improved as a bowler.

And I'm not all that convinced that Malinga > Sree. I think SRee's problem is more mental than anything else.....if he can focus on his bowling rather than sledging I think he will be amuch more dangerous bowler than Malinga.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not sure Vaas > zaheer tbh. Vaas is a pale shadow of the bowler he used to be and I think ZK has improved as a bowler.
Already addressed that and yeah ZK probably is a bit better now than Vaas.

And I'm not all that convinced that Malinga > Sree. I think SRee's problem is more mental than anything else.....if he can focus on his bowling rather than sledging I think he will be amuch dangerous bowler than Malinga.
I rate Sree I really do, while everyone is always criticising him I have always been able to see the potential he has. Yet Malinga in my opinion is easily better, and with more potential as long he eludes injury.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Dilhara/Maharoof =< RP/Munaf

TBH.
Not a chance of equality IMO. RP Singh is a far more dangerous bowler than Dilhara - RP was probably one of the biggets reasons India won in England and in the 20-20 championships. Haven't seen Dilhara win too many for Sri Lanka. and Munaf, if fully fit, I think is probably the best of India's seamers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not a chance of equality IMO. RP Singh is a far more dangerous bowler than Dilhara - RP was probably one of the biggets reasons India won in England and in the 20-20 championships. Haven't seen Dilhara win too many for Sri Lanka. and Munaf, if fully fit, I think is probably the best of India's seamers.
RP is about as dangerous as Dilhara IMO. Munaf IMO though is better, yet he is also notorious in fitness and so on so negates the point of it.

Yet you see how small the difference is between the quality of attacks of SL and India, hopefully India's can do more damage though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, they certainly don't have the ability to play aggressive enough. There is a better chance of them containing the Aussies than beating them, so that's the way they should go.

That's the thing - I don't think you really do have any chance of winning.

Doesn't work like that against the Aussies. With other teams, you might be able to salvage something.
TBH, I don't like the idea of going into a series with no intentions of trying to win. Think negatively, then negative things will happen.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SS stop being a *****.

Sree is playing, deal with it.

Can't be arsed having Munaf Patel bowl 2.3 overs and then get injured, nor see him use his foot whilst fielding at fine leg, and then underarm the ball in to the keeper.

adharcric

International Coach
India will do better than some people think in this series imo, and they won't do it through playing defensive cricket.
Yes. Backing Dravid to erupt with the bat and Sreesanth to bounce back as the leader of the attack under the guidance of Kumble.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
SS stop being a *****.

Sree is playing, deal with it.

Can't be arsed having Munaf Patel bowl 2.3 overs and then get injured, nor see him use his foot whilst fielding at fine leg, and then underarm the ball in to the keeper.
Then do you play RP Singh or Pathan?

adharcric

International Coach
RP Singh, of course. He was impressive in England whereas Pathan's recent approach to bowling in the shorter form will not pose much of a threat in test cricket. Unless Munaf turns it on, takes wickets and proves his fitness (whatever that means) in domestic cricket soon, the fourth seamer should be ... not sure actually, might just be stuck with Pathan.

Gagandeep Singh? He started the season with a bang and promptly got injured at a time when all the other reserve pace options were proving to be ****. Great timing. :thumbsup:

Ranadeb Bose? More than likely cannon fodder and he's not even doing that well for Bengal anymore.

Ishant Sharma? Looked far too raw in England but he may be an outside shot. Hopefully we can do better - far too early for him.

VRV Singh? Probably the best option of those who have been tried but he hasn't turned up for Punjab lately, either. Injury?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah not VRV, don't rate that guy from what I've seen.

Take Irfan ahead of him. He'd have to not bowl like he is in ODI cricket though, it won't be effective in the longer form as you've said.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nah not VRV, don't rate that guy from what I've seen.

Take Irfan ahead of him. He'd have to not bowl like he is in ODI cricket though, it won't be effective in the longer form as you've said.
Looking at how he's gone in ODIs recently, I think Pathan can do well in Test cricket because of the accuracy and control he's found. Yeah, he's been mixing up the pace and bowling a lot of cutters in the ODIs but he's also swung the ball pretty well at times and at a decent pace, but with that added accuracy - will make him much more potent in Test cricket, and he'll be able to keep the runs down if the balls not swinging as well. He'll find a different role in the team now imo, more of a stock bowler than before.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Looking at how he's gone in ODIs recently, I think Pathan can do well in Test cricket because of the accuracy and control he's found. Yeah, he's been mixing up the pace and bowling a lot of cutters in the ODIs but he's also swung the ball pretty well at times and at a decent pace, but with that added accuracy - will make him much more potent in Test cricket, and he'll be able to keep the runs down if the balls not swinging as well. He'll find a different role in the team now imo, more of a stock bowler than before.
Yeah fair call. When he has needed to swing it in ODIs, he's shown he can obviously still do it, and this time even more accurately as you say.

I think you also make a good point regarding stock bowler role. Sree and Zaheer will be the attacking options, so that'll give Irfan a chance to bowl as you suggested he should/can.

All fair points. Not sure if I'd select him ahead of RP just yet though. Will be interested in seeing how RP goes in India vs. Pak.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can't believe people are writing off India already. A lot better than people give them credit for.

adharcric

International Coach
Fair enough. One other issue - the reserve opener.

Sehwag, Gambhir or Chopra?