• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

jeevan

International 12th Man
As a Pakistan fan, I have to say that that opening combination looks absolutely delectable. :)
As an Indian fan, more than happy to have them as the perceived weak link. You see,

They've opened 10 times, 1 against SA in SA, thrice against BD in BD and six times against Eng in Eng Their worst record is against BD (stands of 0,0,175 not out).

Their opening stand averages ~75 (despite dual 0-1 in BD), with 3 century partnerships and individually :
Jaffer has had 2 100s and 2 50's in that period (3 ducks incl king pair in BD)
Karthik has had 1 100(against BD) five 50's.

haroon510

International 12th Man
supprising to see young prospects like Gambir and Uthapa aren't in the test side..so for what i have seen .. i have been pretty impressed with thier performance in ODIs.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
supprising to see young prospects like Gambir and Uthapa aren't in the test side..so for what i have seen .. i have been pretty impressed with thier performance in ODIs.
Yeah but if you being impressed was the criteria for their test selection, Dravid wouldn't be in the team. ;)

haroon510

International 12th Man
Yeah but if you being impressed was the criteria for their test selection, Dravid wouldn't be in the team. ;)
Dravid is almost past and history to indian cricket.. to be fair with him he can play another two or three years.. india needs to try these young players..instead of depending heavily on big three as they are almost at the end of thier career... if they retire. at least guys like uthapa, rohit sharma and gambir should be ready in both form cricket..to replace the big three..

jeevan

International 12th Man
Dravid is almost past and history to indian cricket.. to be fair with him he can play another two or three years.. india needs to try these young players..instead of depending heavily on big three as they are almost at the end of thier career... if they retire. at least guys like uthapa, rohit sharma and gambir should be ready in both form cricket..to replace the big three..
With the Australia test series coming up next, this is absolutely the wrong time to experiment with the test team for the sake of anything except putting the best XI in the field.

With Uthappa (22) & especially Rohit Sharma (19) , there is such a thing as bringing them in before they are ready. And it is not a given that these are the best fit for tests (Badrinath, Raina, Tiwary probably have better claims. Many on this forum think that Badrinath in particular could be India's Mike Hussey).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ironic, Dravid and Afridi made their foray into International Cricket same year, Afridi is still only 26 and Dravid is past and history of Indian Cricket. ;)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's one very good interview with Robin Singh about his job as a fielding coach. He's got a very good understanding of the job at hand, the targets he needs to set, individual strengths and weaknesses and what India needs to put together a fully functional fielding unit. Worth a read (in case it hasn't been put up yet).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Where's everyone gone?

The Indians are playing a bowler short, and for some reason, have elected to field first on winning the toss. This selection will backfire once again, for anything that Sachin, Sehwag, Sourav and Yuvraj do, the duo of Afridi and Malik can do much better.

The batting has been very dull, and they've lost two wickets for over 81 runs in more than 21 overs. That's a dreadful combination for them, but they've been facing the main bowlers. Once the so-called batsmen-who-can-bowl come in, they can easily get set and go hammer-and-tongs at them, given how hard they can hit.

RP Singh looks a good ODI bowling pick. Not just the control he got with the new ball, but also been effective without it, saving several runs. He's had a good run in the recent past, the Australia series notwithstanding (none of the bowlers bar Sreesanth had a good series), and should get more than a few tournaments. He's picking up pace, he's getting good movement, and may be the strike bowler in ODI's in the near future. A pace attack full of RP Singhs playing for India would help the team a lot.

The Indian fielding has been significantly better here, which has been a factor in the Pakistani score reduced in the powerplays. They've covered the ball from all over each time it's come to them, rather than chase it or get a hand. Even as I type, Younis and Yousuf, a frequent run-out prospect pair, are batting. There's a good chance of a run-out here.

Just now, with the batsmen on a leash, Yousuf hits Yuvraj for a six...but it looks a four

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm here.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ganguly get his 100th OD wicket, and that too off Afridi.

Party time.

:)

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
Where's everyone gone?

The Indians are playing a bowler short, and for some reason, have elected to field first on winning the toss. This selection will backfire once again, for anything that Sachin, Sehwag, Sourav and Yuvraj do, the duo of Afridi and Malik can do much better.
India's 5th Bowling combination :)

Yuvraj Singh 3 0 12 1 4.00
V Sehwag 2 0 11 0 5.50
SC Ganguly 2.1 0 9 1 4.15

Dissector

International Debutant
I strongly support the policy of picking four bowlers and I think it's been vindicated again. The part-timers have picked two wickets in 8 overs, going under five an over. The fact is that few countries are blessed with four part-timers with the range and quality of Yuvraj, Sehwag, Ganguly and Sachin. Four different bowlers but each with a fair amount of ODI experience. If India picks a fifth bowler it means the part-timers are under-utilized and leaves the batting weakened.

It would be different if we had five really good bowlers but we don't and our fifth-best bowler will be very ordinary at best.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yousuf is very gun. Must be said.

Still reckon we'll chase this down and win the series. Lets hope so anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
OH FFS Yuvraj hurt his knee! Just saw the replay of it (missed the first innings).

He's already had a bad knee injury, it better not be bad this time around again!

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
OH FFS Yuvraj hurt his knee! Just saw the replay of it (missed the first innings).

He's already had a bad knee injury, it better not be bad this time around again!
He should be fine tbh, he actually fielded a bit towards the end IIRC. Doesn't look llike a very serious injury for mine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone heard of this Sachin guy? He's alright I reckon :D

**** me dead that's how you play a cover drive.