• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wonder if people were saying the same thing about the Windies when you could feel safe betting your house on them in the 80s. Did people not want to watch their game?
I don't know about people - but I wouldn't really want to watch a 5-0 series against England. Sometimes, due to the fast bowling, its fun watching in spurts - but you can watch that later and fast forward through the not-as-high-quality spells. The game as a whole wouldn't be fun for me to watch. And the bowling of this Aussie team is nowhere near the 80s Windies anyway, so even that is no fun.

SS, surely you at least get joy out of watching some of the finest cricketers of this era ply their trade?
Not when the 'finest' cricketers on one side are clearly vastly superior to those on the other. It's like watching professionals play amateurs. It loses its novelty real quick and you just want to see some good cricket between evenly matched teams - or at least teams close enough so that the result is in doubt.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And no, South Africa will not win a Test in Australia soon. I still rate England as the better overall team.
Well they aren't actually touring any time soon. I'd be quietly backing them if they came over next summer though, especially if they could get their selectorial issues sorted. Their batsmen are the most technically equipped to deal with Australian pitches (other than Australia's, obviously) and their attack has improved quite a bit since the last time they were here. Steyn is really starting to become a rounded bowler and if they realised Pollock added much more than Nel to the team and managed to get Rudolph back from Yorkshire, I really think they'd give Australia a run for their money.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well they aren't actually touring any time soon. I'd be quietly backing them if they came over next summer though, especially if they could get their selectorial issues sorted. Their batsmen are the most technically equipped to deal with Australian pitches (other than Australia's, obviously) and their attack has improved quite a bit since the last time they were here. Steyn is really starting to become a rounded bowler and if they realised Pollock added much more than Nel to the team and managed to get Rudolph back from Yorkshire, I really think they'd give Australia a run for their money.
The batting is still too reliant on 1-2 people. And while their bowling is improving, I can't see them taking 20 Aussie wickets.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And I believe one of those people, Kallis, doesn't have a tremendous record down here.
It's below his standard but still averages almost 50. And he fixed that up a bit last time he came over when he averaged 64.33.

And in fact, in his four series down under, he averages 34.50, 49.0, 83.0 (only one match), 64.33.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Code:
                     Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St
unfiltered           109  8851 189*  57.10  27  45 216  6/54   31.64  4 107  0
filtered               9   728 111   48.53   2   3  12  3/45   47.00  0   9  0
Not so suss, imo. Bowling sub par, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The batting is still too reliant on 1-2 people. And while their bowling is improving, I can't see them taking 20 Aussie wickets.
Of all the teams though, I think they'd be the least effected by Australian conditions. They may not be as good as Australia, but I don't think the conditions will effect them as they do every other team.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stuey!!

Lee for Man of the Match imo. Sure Clarke, Hussey & Jaques made tons on a belter, but it was Lee's bowling performance that won us the match.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
And it's all over. Completely agree with SS. Would much rather watch an exciting test/series than Australia just dominating over and over.

sideshowtim

Banned
Excellent victory! Very impressed with that performance, especially considering we've just lost 2 of the best to ever play the game. Lee really stood up and was the pick of the bowlers easily. He was very impressive and seems to be relishing taking a lead role. Good on him.

Son Of Coco

Of all the teams though, I think they'd be the least effected by Australian conditions. They may not be as good as Australia, but I don't think the conditions will effect them as they do every other team.
Possibly, but then they've come over here before with big wraps on them and been flogged.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Possibly, but then they've come over here before with big wraps on them and been flogged.
The Australian side isn't quite as strong anymore though, and they really didn't embarress themselves at all last time they were here despite the final scoreline. They competed well.

Son Of Coco

...and the cricket leads into the Coalition launch, I nearly threw up my recently eaten sandwich 10 seconds into the opening address.