• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, awful shot from Silva. He certainly has some natural ability but he does the most brainless things at times. Not truly test class from what I've seen.

sideshowtim

Banned
Hey an Aussie game that has a chance to be something besides an Aussie win? That's something new. It's so dire watching Australia play, it's quickly becoming that I don't watch any Australia or Bangladesh. It's that inevitability of one sided games that destroys all enjoyment.

In any case, I think we'll find that the losses from the bowling attack have not quite been replaced but their batting has gotten better - so we'll see more big scores from them to make sure they don't lose. Oh joy.
Poor stuff from you TBH.

This match is still alive. Stranger things have happened.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mate its very disappointing to hear such stuff from you, Australia are a damn good side but still victories aren't severed to them on a platter they work their backsides off to do well so consistently, they have set a benchmark for the other teams but the other teams don't look anywhere near that benchmark so rather than cursing Australia shouldn't you be criticising the other teams who look so flat against the Aussies and shouldn't they be the one's who should try to raise the bar of their game against the Australians.
He's not criticising Australia; he's merely saying that he doesn't enjoy watching them play because of the one-sided affairs.

Personally I disagree with him as I like seeing good cricket regardless of whether the contest is close is not, but he's certainly not criticising Australia.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rain is better than cricket....when it's proper rain, not the piddly little stuff that's been stopping the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Batting is better compared to when? I suppose you could argue that Jaques will be better than Langer but it's certainly a big call at this stage, and regardless of whether people think Symonds is test class, he's certainly a step down from other Australian #6 batsmen recently - he's no Martyn, Lehmann or Clarke as a batsman alone, even if he does manage to become a decent test cricketer.
Better than when SL last toured.

pup11

International Coach
He's not criticising Australia; he's merely saying that he doesn't enjoy watching them play because of the one-sided affairs.

Personally I disagree with him as I like seeing good cricket regardless of whether the contest is close is not, but he's certainly not criticising Australia.
Well criticising wasn't the right word i guess but still i just hate it when people take Australia's success for granted as if they are getting it any easier than other sides, its upto the other sides to make sure that they produce some quality cricket against the Australians to compete with them.

sideshowtim

Banned
Well criticising wasn't the right word i guess but still i just hate it when people take Australia's success for granted as if they are getting it any easier than other sides, its upto the other sides to make sure that they produce some quality cricket against the Australians to compete with them.
Exactly. Some people almost speak as if the Australians are at fault. It's not our fault we're so good! Lift to our standards, we're not coming down to yours!

pup11

International Coach
Fernando gone and superb yorker from Lee to get rid of him, really impressive bowling from Lee in this test and he is the MOM for me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And SS hates the fact that they can't do that. He isn't finding fault with the Australians; he's just saying he doesn't enjoy it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And?

Until they do, it still makes Aussie games not worth watching (for me obviously). I'd rather watch a three/four day club or FC cricket if the game is exciting. Ideally, the game would be a high quality Test and exciting. But if I had to choose, I'd take the exciting game any day of the week. It's the same as watching Bangladesh I mean - its futile.

sideshowtim

Banned
I wonder if people were saying the same thing about the Windies when you could feel safe betting your house on them in the 80s. Did people not want to watch their game?

SS, surely you at least get joy out of watching some of the finest cricketers of this era ply their trade? Even if it is one sided. I'd enjoy watching the Windies play in the 80s for that reason. I also enjoy watching Roger Federer play. He'll win 95% of the time, but it's still magical to watch such a magnificent player go about his business. Dunno why the Aussie cricket team can't be the same for others.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmmm. Interesting. That would have been Langer-Hayden-Ponting-Martyn-Lehmann-Katich-Gilchrist, right? I disagree really. Hussey obviously esclipses Martyn but I'd say Langer, Lehmann and Katich > Jaques, Clarke and Symonds.
Hmm, I'd disagree. Katich and Lehmann were good but I would say Clarke is better than either and Symonds is not, but its a wash at best when you compare both. Jaques is to be determined obviously but I suspect it won't be a huge step down.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm, I'd disagree. Katich and Lehmann were good but I would say Clarke is better than either and Symonds is not, but its a wash at best when you compare both. Jaques is to be determined obviously but I suspect it won't be a huge step down.
Yeah I'd say the batting lineups were at similar strength really. I'd rate Lehmann over Clarke TBH but it's close; Clarke is indeed better than Katich but I compared Katich to Symonds. Hussey evens it all out though. The team is definitely weaker overall but it's still going to extremely tough to win a test in Australia.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah I'd say the batting lineups were at similar strength really. I'd rate Lehmann over Clarke TBH but it's close; Clarke is indeed better than Katich but I compared Katich to Symonds. Hussey evens it all out though. The team is definitely weaker overall but it's still going to extremely tough to win a test in Australia.
Being a bit generous. I would say 'it will require divine intervention'.