• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty good delivery from Mitchell Johnson, similar dismissals for Jayawardene in this Test match.

Perm

Yeah especially as Johnson hasn't brought one back into the right handers all game he could have left it. Still a good ball though.

Did he definately get a nick my TV signal went down straight after the wicket haven't seen any analysis.
Yeah, snicko confirmed there was an edge.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah especially as Johnson hasn't brought one back into the right handers all game he could have left it. Still a good ball though.

Did he definately get a nick my TV signal went down straight after the wicket haven't seen any analysis.
Snicko agreed, and there was a big noise. Nothing else it really could have hit, bat was well away from the body.

Johnners

TBF to Heals, whilst he generally is annoying, he had a good point imo re: MacGill bowling a bit shorter to Vandort to draw him out of the crease.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBF to Heals, whilst he generally is annoying, he had a good point imo re: MacGill bowling a bit shorter to Vandort to draw him out of the crease.
MacGill's problem with that though is that he doesn't get a huge amount of drop because (as Chapelli was mentioning earlier) he's nearly all sidespin. He can't really lure him out with much overspin. And because he has a reasonably flat trajectory, the batsman can just stay on the back foot as soon as he notes that it's going to be shorter.

Johnners

He bowled quite well in the first innings without luck imo, but he hasn't looked as good 2nd time around.

pup11

International Coach
he's been bowling well but just is missing something... definately a lot worse than the best of MacGill
I think he has bowled without much luck in this game, he is nowhere near his best but i think if he tries to bowl around the wicket to both right and left handers he would be much more effective.
Good see the Lankans put up some resistance and since it looks unlikely that Atapattu would play in the next test after openly criticising the Lankan selectors so i guess Vandort won't be a bad option to pick as an opener for the next test.

Last edited:

Perm

MacGill has been bowling reasonably well. As the commentators mentioned a few times yesterday, if Gilchrist or Clarke managed to hold the catches they were offered by Chamara Silva, MacGill would have bowled with a lot more confidence and probably ended up with much better figures.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh Silva got one of worst records ever at 3 and 4, its one of the reason why he was forgotten for so long. It wasn't until he moved down 4-6 that he started scoring runs in domestic cricket. If he can't bat at 3 or 4, there is no way he can open.

Also there is certain Warnuparu(sp) that you forgot? But i reckon by March Kapu would have started to reach his potential and be pushing for Test and ODI spot. He is really starting to show some good signs with the bat.
SL Team including Warnapura should look like this against West Indies - March 2008

Vandort
Warnapura (or Tharanga or ? Chamara Silva as opener)
Mahela
Sangakkara
Chamara Silva (or Kapugedera if Chamara opens)
Samaraweera or Dilshan
Kaushal Silva (wicket keeper)
Vaas (or) WRS de Silva
Malinga
Dilhara (or Amerasinghe/Welagedera etc. etc.)
Murali

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting hearing Bailey say that Fernando was the first fast bowler picked for this Test.

Also, could watch Mahela play cover drives all day. Almost good as watching Vaughan do it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is there any chance of SL saving this test (I'm obviously referring to the possibility of rain later today and tomorrow)?

What are people's thoughts?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking ahead to Hobart - SL should retain Marvan and not send him home ...(probably fine him) But looks like he is most likely to get sent off ...

Aussies almost certain to pick 4 seamers for Hobart ...with Hilfenhaus likely to get included for Test debut, IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there any chance of SL saving this test (I'm obviously referring to the possibility of rain later today and tomorrow)?

The Rain alone cannot save Sri Lanka ...they do have to bat well...otherwise they will lose this Test.

As I see it, Australia look set still to win this Test ....it just takes one session to change all this....

Perm

Not likely. Australia's bowlers are tired, but they'll get a good rest overnight and probably blow away the last few batsman tomorrow. If Samaraweera and Vandort can make it to the end of the day without giving their wickets away, then it will certainly be interesting.

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Interesting hearing Bailey say that Fernando was the first fast bowler picked for this Test.

Also, could watch Mahela play cover drives all day. Almost good as watching Vaughan do it.
you would've thought Murali would be wouldn't you?? even on a seaming wicket...

something tells me that comment is just to defend a selection he has been critised for.

And if he was the first bowler picked, why not give him the new ball??

Anyway, the game is just whittling away here... MacGill is looking rather lacklustre in this innings, but not bowling badly....

Johnson bowled a ripper to get Jayawardena but has just been a bit short.

Stuart Clark should be getting more overs, and the new pill, and IMO choice of ends....