• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting haters have small *****s.

Lee bowled really well in the first innings - hope he can continue this kind of form, and become the leader of the attack for reasons other that "default".

Craig

World Traveller
:huh: That's the first time I've called someone a champ today....

Anyway, all the players in the Aust test team (Hayden & Symonds aside) are champs :cool:
I was just yanking your chain :p

Sri Lanka end the day at 2/80, not to bad for them considering the dire effort in the 1st innings, of course to have lost 0 or 1 wicket would have been ideal, but two wickets lost is acceptable with 80 runs on the board. Vandort looked quite stratchy at times and he needs to relax tomorrow and not be so rigid at the crease or he may not last long. MacGill had the upper hand over him with the amount of leading edges he drew from Vandort's bat so I guess that is a moral victory for him.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo says that Ponting will enforce the follow on.

Good decision I think. I think SL will be out for under 300 and MacGill will probably take a 5 bag if the wicket is starting to turn and grip. I dont see SL getting past 350, but if they do and set Australia a target I dont think they will be too bothered by Murali - if chasing a small total.

Edit/ Beaten.
What kind of a fan are you....so negative ....:ph34r:

:laugh: :laugh:

I disagree . I think SL will go past 350 and Aussies will have to bat to score anything from 50 - 150 on Day 5 . Murali will get 2 or 3 still , But Aussies will win comfortably despite that....that's my prediction ...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez I dont know how Marvan will shape up in this innings. He has barely had a break and must be exhausted lol!
He had an opportunity to Emulate Monty Noble and get his second Fifty in a day...I was certain the legside catch went off his hip...but the hot spot seemed to confirm it was off the glove...for a moment I thought here goes Rudi again...:laugh:

Laurrz

International Debutant
it's weird, trailing by 260 runs doesn't seem that much on a flat pitch

but when you say... Lanka will need atleast 400 to challenge then it sounds like more :p

anyway, i enjoyed todays play... was pretty dull through the 2nd session though with Atapattu and Prasanna..

im still finding it hard to believe we got rid of a decent batting lineup for 211 without McGrath and Warne.. i think things will be more tough in the 2nd innings though

MacGill the key man :D go for the 200 son!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Sri Lankans are playing Macgill fairly easily ...I think the Aussies will bowl Symonds and Michael Clarke a lot tomorrow.

JBH001

International Regular
2/80. Well, its not as bad as I thought, but once you've said that you've said everything. :D

What kind of a fan are you....so negative ....:ph34r:

:laugh: :laugh:

I disagree . I think SL will go past 350 and Aussies will have to bat to score anything from 50 - 150 on Day 5 . Murali will get 2 or 3 still , But Aussies will win comfortably despite that....that's my prediction ...
Haha! No, not negative jason, just realistic. ;)

But you may be right, I certainly hope so anyways. It would be nice if we made even a semblance of a contest of it. But I think attacking in this innings would be better. None of our bats have the temperament for occupation and nothing but, barring Marvan, so its best that they go for it - except that they do it judiciously and do it well. And here I am not so sure that they will be able to do that, but we will wait and see tomorrow.

Another stressful afternoon tomorrow awaits, on the couch and on tenterhooks...

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Having watched the Aussies so far, I am certain India will do better than us ....In fact they will probably pull off a 2-1 series win if their batsmen all come down under in some form...because this Aussie attack can be tamed by the might of Indian batting for sure...they are not as tentative as our batsmen are...A real contest awaits the Aussies come Boxing day, IMO...

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Brett Lee bowled very well. Just has to keep doing that really, but we've had a few false dawns with him in the past. This time though he won't get away with some of the tripe he has served up in past years without McGrath and Warne around. Admittedly he is improving. Coming into this test i think i saw he had an average of around 28-29 from his last 10 tests and that would've improved further with this test... so maybe the new age of Brett Lee is coming to fruition...

The rest bowled well, especially MacGill with no luck. But you can see the difference between him and warne so clearly. macgill bowls a loose bowl every over. sometimes two. warne bowls a loose ball every two or three overs. and because warne's loose balls are so rare (probably bowls 1 to every 5 loose macgill balls) the batsman didn't put them away as often as they would put macgills away either...

Overall i'm pretty happy with the way our bowling attack is shaping up in the future - particularly the depth in the fast bowling ranks. Tait, Noffke and Hilfenhaus have a lot of pluses going for them, whilst even Bracken is handy if he has to get called up. And i noticed Matty Inness took 5 wickets today in the shield so it could be the emergence a bowler i consider to be a top left armer...

Big concern is the lack of spinner after MacGill. And don't say Hogg cause even if he came in after MacGill it would only last a season or two as they are the same age....