• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Winner of this round:

Murali

Brilliant contest.
Nah, definitely even. Muralitharan got the wicket in the end, but Ponting was looking very good and was starting to dominate IMO. Played some excellent shots, used his feet superbly.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah, definitely even. Muralitharan got the wicket in the end, but Ponting was looking very good and was starting to dominate IMO. Played some excellent shots, used his feet superbly.
I was meaning more along the lines of just Ponting and Murali not including anyone else, yet I didn't have cricinfo on so I can't tell you for certain how many balls and runs went between the two. Best ball vs. bat contest I've seen in God knows how long.

JBH001

International Regular
Top blokes. Despicable stuff from Stephen there.
Stephen's comment just mars what seems to have been a great and even contest between a great batsman and a great bowler. Small and petty minded about sums it up.

stephen

Haha, can tell you're going to be loved.
Yeah I know. Pity I can sit there and pick the dossra based on the level of elbow bendedness on my tv screen when Chuck is chucking. Kind of invalidates the idea that he's not chucking. That delivery is illegal and I don't care what the "scientific" (i.e. when hes specifically trying not to chuck) testing says. I don't necessarily think that his ordinary delivery is a chuck (though it pushes it), only the doosra.

Johnners

I was meaning more along the lines of just Ponting and Murali not including anyone else, yet I didn't have cricinfo on so I can't tell you for certain how many balls and runs went between the two. Best ball vs. bat contest I've seen in God knows how long.
30 runs from 36 deliveries @ 83.33 for Ponting v Murali, 5 boundaries as well.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Tendulkar vs Anderson this spring was pretty good, but I'm inclined to agree

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah I know. Pity I can sit there and pick the dossra based on the level of elbow bendedness on my tv screen when Chuck is chucking. Kind of invalidates the idea that he's not chucking. That delivery is illegal and I don't care what the "scientific" (i.e. when hes specifically trying not to chuck) testing says. I don't necessarily think that his ordinary delivery is a chuck (though it pushes it), only the doosra.
Dum dee dum. Please don't flame the forum. If you want to discuss whether Murali chucks or not, create a thread for it or some thing. Don't try and spoil our fun of watching the cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
20 from 5
16 from 25

You don't see something like that everyday, every bad ball got put away and every good ball was treated as such.

Two of the greatest players of our age.

JBH001

International Regular
KP had a similar record against Murali, did he not?

Reminds me of that story by Bedi when he was playing for his county side in England on a flat batting wicket against Barry Richards. His first four balls went for 16 runs (4x4's) and his skipper wanted a defensive field. Bedi turned it down and kept attacking throught the over and finally took the off bail as Richards came down to him on the 5th ball of the over. As far as Bedi was concerned the runs and the punishment were a fair trade for the wicket of Barry Richards on that wicket.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Personally believe the doosra and occasionally the top-spinner are extremely dubious, but you don't have to be an arse about it.

JBH001

International Regular
Dum dee dum. Please don't flame the forum. If you want to discuss whether Murali chucks or not, create a thread for it or some thing. Don't try and spoil our fun of watching the cricket.

Seconded. Take your asinine comments elsewhere.

Perm

Code:
RT Ponting 0s 1s 2s 3s 4s 5s 6s 7+ Dismissal Runs Balls SR 
M Muralitharan 24 5 1 1 5 0 0 0 stumped 30 36 83.33

stephen

Hey I was just commenting on that delivery. This is the right thread for it. If he'd have gotten him with an offie I wouldn't have complained. I only did so cause I was watching it and picked up that it was a doosra before the ball was halfway down the pitch because I saw the arm bend.

EDIT: no more comments from me on this issue.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I really have to say that watching quality spin bowling against quality batsmanship is one of the true joys ot test cricket.

One of the subtleties of the game which makes it so great, imo.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Code:
RT Ponting 0s 1s 2s 3s 4s 5s 6s 7+ Dismissal Runs Balls SR 
M Muralitharan 24 5 1 1 5 0 0 0 stumped 30 36 83.33
Thanks mate.
Lots of boundaries and lots of dot balls, both men attacking. Ah the rest of the test is going to be an anti-climax for me now.