• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am certain, both Hogg and Macgill are likely to be left out as the Aussies will go with 4man pace attack and if anything this game today confirms to me that will be the case and the nature of the pitch that will be served at the Gabba...

And the last trick the Aussies will need for a perfect plan would be for them to win the toss at the Gabba and that will be Game won...
You may be right about the four-man pace attack but not because of the deck. This game is at AB Field and it's always good for the pace bowlers. The 'Gabba always has a decent covering of green before lunch on day 1 but then has good pace with little lateral movement for the rest of the time, perfect for batting. It's been the same for 15 years no matter who the opponent was and there's no reason to expect it to be any different. You can't really compare AB Field and the 'Gabba; completely different.

JBH001

International Regular
If the SL batting does not do enough for Aus to bat twice I think you can kiss goodbye to any chance of Murali matching or beating Warne's record in Australia.

(I would have liked to see him play this game too, tbph)

aussie tragic

International Captain
I am certain, both Hogg and Macgill are likely to be left out as the Aussies will go with 4man pace attack and if anything this game today confirms to me that will be the case and the nature of the pitch that will be served at the Gabba...:)

And the last trick the Aussies will need for a perfect plan would be for them to win the toss at the Gabba and that will be Game won...:laugh:
I seem to remember that England had a 4-man pace attack at the Gabba last year and the Aussies racked up 600 batting first.......

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I seem to remember that England had a 4-man pace attack at the Gabba last year and the Aussies racked up 600 batting first.......
Key word highlighted in bold. Also note that the terms '4-man pace attack' and '***tet of queers' are interchangable. :)

Laurrz

International Debutant
wow this is bad for Lanka... 5/7 of their batsmen failed and also in the process did not get a good look at Mitchell Johnson

Prasanna and Bandara batting well atm... pitch has prolly flattened out as per usual with Aussie wickets...Queensland to bat for two days ..

Laurrz

International Debutant
I am certain, both Hogg and Macgill are likely to be left out as the Aussies will go with 4man pace attack and if anything this game today confirms to me that will be the case and the nature of the pitch that will be served at the Gabba...:)

And the last trick the Aussies will need for a perfect plan would be for them to win the toss at the Gabba and that will be Game won...:laugh:
never win the toss and field at the Gabba...never!

plan is to bat first... get through the first session..and the rest should be easier.. and get a big total.. put pressure on their batsmen... and you also get to bowl last as well..perfect

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess we need to get into the head of Kevin Mitchell, jnr (groundsman/curator at Gabba).

Its horses for courses... and that might have been the Aussie strategy v England given their bowling strength , but with SL 's obvious weakness against seamy conditions I think there would be various people having a word is into his ear for sure....:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
With regards to Australia's XI, i'd say the selectors would be willing to let MacGill at least gievn his success over the years, but if he slips Hogg will be right in. Really think Hogg has a fairy tale ending to his career in the making, could play to 40 & still be super engergetic in the field i reckon..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its horses for courses... and that might have been the Aussie strategy v England given their bowling strength , but with SL 's obvious weakness against seamy conditions I think there would be various people having a word is into his ear for sure....
There's limits to what can be done with that soil, though. Even when the 'Gabba was at it greenest in the 90's, guys like Haydos used to be able to score runs for QLD.

The greenest in a Test I can remember it being was in this match;

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64059.html

The green was more due to the weather too and let's face it, if there's another team which had a perceived weakness against fast bowling and bounce, it's India. This would definitely have neen one pitch to juice up were the curator so inclined because India were a real threat and Australia were missing Warne and McGrath. Even then, there was still two tons, a 99 and a bunch of 50's as the pitch played pretty well. Aside from that, the 'Gabba has been the same for years; a little green before lunch, perfect to bat on afterwards. I expect it to be no different this time 'round. If SL fail, I doubt they'll be able to blame the pitch.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
tbh, i dont think one extra paceman will be that important

if we'll run em over with quality quick bowling then Lee/Johnson/Clark will be enough

(just like Noffke Johnson Kaspa was enough for Queensland)

Athlai

Not Terrible
tbh, i dont think one extra paceman will be that important

if we'll run em over with quality quick bowling then Lee/Johnson/Clark will be enough

(just like Noffke Johnson Kaspa was enough for Queensland)
Lee/Johnson/Clark

Malinga/Fernando/Vaas might be cutting it a little too close don't you think?

Good knocks from Prasanna and Bandara should be interesting how the Queenslanders handle the slinger.

aussie tragic

International Captain
The Aussies batting is looking good going into the 1st Test as Hayden, Jaques & Ponting have all scored 100’s this season, while Hussey and Symonds have 50’s and Clarke (23) and Gilly (29) at least got a start in their only chance at bat.

The bowling however is a different story…..except for Hogg (8-83, econ 2.63) and Clark (7-150, econ 2.94), the following Pura Cup bowling figures look a little worrying:

Lee: 0-188, econ 3.76
Johnson: 0-155, econ 4.30 (also has 1-39 vs SL)
Tait: 1-185, econ 4.74
MacGill: 4-280, econ 5.09
Symonds: 1-129, econ 4.03 (also has 0-22 vs SL)

So based on this form so far, I'd pick Hogg over MacGill and let Tait play at least another FC match to find some form after his injury lay-off...oh yeah, and hope that Johnson gets some wkts in the SL 2nd Innings vs Qld ;)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Noffke in great touch. Unbelivable depth in Australian pace bowling just at the moment. Noffke isn't even the most obvious choice for this summer outside of the four quicks picked in the 13 man squad. Essentially he's 6th in line for a pace bowling spot, and he's dominating.
He'd have to of jumped the queue in the last week. Surely not 6th anymore. I'd put him ahead of Snugelofolus.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He'd have to of jumped the queue in the last week. Surely not 6th anymore. I'd put him ahead of Snugelofolus.
Yeah, I suppose that one is up in the air. Hilfenhaus has got more of a look-in at the Australian side recently though, and he's definitely more of a long-term option. If Noffke keeps bowling the way he is for a couple more games he'll certainly be in with a good shot, but if he tails off a bit I think the fact that he's 30 will count against him if it comes down to him vs Hilfenhaus or Tait.

Anyway, if it's Hilfenhaus who is 6th in line, the point remains the same. That's a pretty decent option to have in case of 3 injuries.

pup11

International Coach
Noffke is really doing well atm and as Faaip said if he sustains this sort of form (he has been in good form with both bat and ball this season) then he is in with a real chance to break into the test team and if Symonds fails to perform and if Watto is still not fit to play then i would be tempted to play Noffke as a bowling all-rounder who could bat at 7 and with the ball he would be a genuine 5th bowling option.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Anyway, if it's Hilfenhaus who is 6th in line, the point remains the same. That's a pretty decent option to have in case of 3 injuries.
Or even 4-5 injuries ;)

1. Clark
2. Lee
3. Johnson
4. Tait
5. Hilfenhaus
6. Noffke
7. Bracken
8. Gillespie

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Noffke is really doing well atm and as Faaip said if he sustains this sort of form (he has been in good form with both bat and ball this season) then he is in with a real chance to break into the test team and if Symonds fails to perform and if Watto is still not fit to play then i would be tempted to play Noffke as a bowling all-rounder who could bat at 7 and with the ball he would be a genuine 5th bowling option.
If he keeps this up then he's right in the frame for the CB series, thing with Noffke possibly playing in the test team is imo he's not good enough to bat at number 7 and too good to be a 5th bowler. I know his batting numbers are great this season, but watching the guy bat he looks about the same quality as Bichel or Hogg...and I dont think you'd want those guys any higher than number 8 in test cricket, particularly given Gilchrist is not as consistent as he was 4 years ago and Jaques is only just establishing himself, the batting looks a little skinny then.

I think Noffke's best chance of a test cap is if there are a couple of injuries and he breaks through as a frontline bowler who can bat number 8.