• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers-A master of black magic?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Its highly laughable to say that Sobers was a good bowler & more rounded player than Imran.
As far as I'm concerned, this post (like many of the others that you've so wantonly produced) is far worthier of derision than that notion.

They were both great allrounders ,I respect them & rate them very highly but for me Imran,Miller & Botham would always be ahead of Sobers.Sobers was a better overall cricketer Miller & Botham but he was not a better allrounder than them.
You're being pedantic.

subshakerz

International Coach
Absolutely no chance was Vivian Richards a better batsman than Sobers AFAIC. Nor Lara.

Only West Indian who has a compelling case for being better is George Headley. Everton Weekes maybe, but only maybe.
Wow, the West Indies have such a great history of all-time great batsmen. More than any other team, and almost all of them had a flair to their batting.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What of Hobbs, Hutton, Grace, Shrewsbury and Ranji of England? A case could soon be made even for Pietersen.
No spot for your lifelong hero AC MacLaren, Sir Nev?

And I'll assume it was no more than an oversight that you mentioned KP but neglected Hammond and Compton... ;)

neville cardus

International Debutant
No spot for your lifelong hero AC MacLaren, Sir Nev?
And I'll assume it was no more than an oversight that you mentioned KP but neglected Hammond and Compton... ;)
I was going append "to name but a few", and I'm a touch annoyed now that I didn't. Incidentally, I was watching some old footage of all those players just last night. The mix of Wally's grace, Dennis's panache and Archie's lordly air was just delectable.

Beleg

International Regular
I was going append "to name but a few", and I'm a touch annoyed now that I didn't. Incidentally, I was watching some old footage of all those players just last night. The mix of Wally's grace, Dennis's panache and Archie's lordly air was just delectable.
w3 n0 l0ng3r tAlk lyk th1s nem0r bro

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
How is it a fair point ? If Afridi came into the team as a bowler how come he was opening in his 2nd ODI and scoring the fastest century in ODI. Please get your facts right before making ridiculous claims.
Point here is G Sobers on ave took 1 wicket in his initial 30 tests. That for a bowler is horribly bad. Mohammad Sami has like the worst bowling record and in most of the games he has played it was because of lack of other bowling options, and even he has 77 wickets from his 30 tests.:laugh:

You need to check Sober's batting average for those first 30 tests, then it'll be clear to you that he was in the team because of his batting and not bowling at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His bowling in his opening Tests was indeed awful; nonetheless, he was first selected with bowling in mind. This is unequivocal. The matter soon changed as it became clearer he was better with bat than ball, but his bowling eventually improved markedly.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Still ave is too high to be labeled as a genuine allrounder.

I know a lot of people who don't think Kallis is a genuine allrounder yet it's laughable that same people are saying Sobers was who actually had a higher bowling ave and worse strike rate.

JBH001

International Regular
Yep, but that more than anything is an indication that stats dont tell everything in cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Point here is G Sobers on ave took 1 wicket in his initial 30 tests. That for a bowler is horribly bad. Mohammad Sami has like the worst bowling record and in most of the games he has played it was because of lack of other bowling options, and even he has 77 wickets from his 30 tests.:laugh:

You need to check Sober's batting average for those first 30 tests, then it'll be clear to you that he was in the team because of his batting and not bowling at all.
That's it, You got enough attention from me, Go rot in my ignore hell. I have no respect for people who are so ignorant about the legends of the game.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
That's it, You got enough attention from me, Go rot in my ignore hell. I have no respect for people who are so ignorant about the legends of the game.
I wasn't disrespecting anyone. You could come up with nothing to defend your point of view so you're attacking me now.

Also mostly when people say they're putting someone on ignore list, they actually don't do it:laugh:

But that's hardly the point. The point is I actually don't care at all if you've put me on ignore list.:laugh: