• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Suprised that Ronchi didn't bring Heal into the attack before Bailey.
Heal has broken through further bringing into question why he wasnt bought on before the Leggie, Marvan 56 i guess its a practise game its the right time to get out in a 3 day game

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
So a difference of 5 years makes him old now and he has to be given the boot seems to be your logic there .....:wacko:.
Wow. I am absolutely flabbergasted by your ability to reply with complete lack of coherent thought with such gusto. Do you actually read posts? The reason why I ask is, well, it’s quite obvious you don’t because you've completely missed the point...again.

I said:
Yes, he is still yet to establish himself in world Cricket, but then the same goes for Fernando, but I don’t see you arguing his selection.
I've been arguing for the viewpoint that SL needs 4 seamers to bowl Australia out twice for the last couple of pages.

Vaas, Malinga, Fernando + Muralitharan, are simply not enough.
Remember?
Why would I want to expend with Fernando? Moreover, where have I ever indicated as such?

Oh wait - it must have been when I said:
I'd pick Maharoof ahead of the other batting options
You have to be thick skulled, If you can't see the damn difference between the Stats !!:dry:
Of course Fernando's statistics are better, he’s a potentially world class. He's also been touted as the future god of SL bowling since he was a schoolboy and was given every opportunity at national level as such. Yet despite all that, Fernando isn't an established bowler at any level, and the same applies to Maharoof.

Besides, your logic is flawed. Its all well and good wanting to pick players based on empirical evidence, but if that was the only prerequisite for selection (as you’ve suggested), Nuwan Zoyza would still be loping in for SL. You have to give a guy a game if he’s going to build up his statistics.

If Malinga, Vaas, Dilhara, with one of the Worlds best spinners in combination cannot take 20 wickets...I really struggle to see how another 'half wit' bowler who averages 1.5 wickets a test against all opposition (including Bangers) and with Strike rate of 95 will make a difference... Pray you have to enlighten us here ...or do the opposite...:laugh:
Vaas and Malinga have been in poor wicket taking form lately. Malinga effectiveness with the new ball (or lack thereof) is a cause for concern. No one knows what Fernando will do on the day. Both Malinga and Fernando aren’t bowlers who bowl long grinding spells. That said I like all three bowlers but I don’t have much confidence in their ability to bowl Australia out twice. Murali will do as Murali does - but he’s coming off an injury and short on match fitness. He may not be able to tie up one end for the entire day as he would do normally. Jayasuriya is a handy part-time option but he isn’t a genuine 2nd spinner at Test level. A fourth seamer in the form of Maharoof may not get a five wicker haul, but if he picks up a couple of wickets and plays a supporting role to the other bowlers, his selection will have already paid off.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Btw, why have been guys like Rofe, Lewis selected for this team :confused:
because neither can make it to their teams.. (ie. Vic and SA) this XI is basically a team that can't play this week because they either got pushed out by aussie players or they arent good enough

how good is Heal
Mahela getting a duck is pretty bad for Lankans
but other than that they are getting valuable batting practice

Bailey is ****

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Besides, your logic is flawed. Its all well and good wanting to pick players based on empirical evidence, but if that was the only prerequisite for selection (as you’ve suggested), Nuwan Zoyza would still be loping in for SL. You have to give a guy a game if he’s going to build up his statistics.

Vaas and Malinga have been in poor wicket taking form lately. Malinga effectiveness with the new ball (or lack thereof) is a cause for concern. No one knows what Fernando will do on the day. Both Malinga and Fernando aren’t bowlers who bowl long grinding spells. That said I like all three bowlers but I don’t have much confidence in their ability to bowl Australia out twice. Murali will do as Murali does - but he’s coming off an injury and short on match fitness. He may not be able to tie up one end for the entire day as he would do normally. Jayasuriya is a handy part-time option but he isn’t a genuine 2nd spinner at Test level. A fourth seamer in the form of Maharoof may not get a five wicker haul, but if he picks up a couple of wickets and plays a supporting role to the other bowlers, his selection will have already paid off.
My logic is based on picking players based on performance and what they have produced , not guess work or picking players to fill quotas :laugh: .

Have you bothered to read the following? Its simple enough to follow.

How TF then would a half wit who averages 1.5 wickets a test even against weak opposition be useful against the Best Team in the world ?
especially if the others who are far far better than him are going wicketless....

If Malinga, Vaas, Dilhara, with one of the Worlds best spinners in combination cannot take 20 wickets...I really struggle to see how another 'half wit' bowler who averages 1.5 wickets a test against all opposition (including Bangers) and with Strike rate of 95 will make a difference... Pray you have to enlighten us here ...or do the opposite...:laugh:

A fourth seamer in the form of Maharoof may not get a five wicker haul, but if he picks up a couple of wickets and plays a supporting role to the other bowlers, his selection will have already paid off
If he averages 1.5 wickets a Test against all opposition including Bangers, I and most intelligent people would not be wrong in thinking he is almost certain to go wicketless against the might of the Aussies.:)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:( Sangakkara, hope his hamstring recovers in time for the first test, would be a huge blow to the series if he's injured.

Perm

:( Sangakkara, hope his hamstring recovers in time for the first test, would be a huge blow to the series if he's injured.
How bad is it?

If he was to miss the Tests then Sri Lanka don't have a chance.

Laurrz

International Debutant
is Heal a chance to make the first test?

anyways i heard from someone that the hamstring isn't serious

i hope he is ok .. playing Lanka without Sangakkara isnt the same

Johnners

Haven't heard, all i keep hearing on the Radio is that they treated him on the ground for a while, but he couldn't continue (well i assume he couldn't) so he retired. He twinged it going for a quick single.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
How bad is it?

If he was to miss the Tests then Sri Lanka don't have a chance.
Absolutely. Hope he is ok.

I wonder who will keep wickets when the Team takes the field....possibly Mubarak or Samaraweera , I suspect.

Mister Wright

Absolutely. Hope he is ok.

I wonder who will keep wickets when the Team takes the field....possibly Mubarak or Samaraweera , I suspect.
Is it a first class match? If it isn't may be allowed to use the reserve wicket keeper.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Bollinger strikes to get rid of Vandort (well i guess he sorta made up for the dropped catch when he dropped Vandort when he was on 0!!)

and thats stmps i think

4/335

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was at the ground and a few things came to mind;

- Sanath, whilst he batted well, was barely tested. He was cruising in this knock which shows you just how good he still is but also how poor this bowling attack bowled to him. All of his sixes were in roughly the same spot and they generally fed his legside shots. Decent hit out for him but not an indicator of form I reckon.

- Cullen Bailey was spanked by Jayasuriya and the over where he went the journey three times in a row was telling; all in the same spot. Yet he was persevered with. I mean, I understand giving young spinners a go and accepting they might go for a few but geez, when three successive deliveries are lifted into the stands having bowled poorly to that point anyway, it's time for a rest, son.

- Why on Earth was Heal bowled only after 41 overs had gone??? He was the pick today. if the others had bowled well, it may have been understandable but in light of events, he should have bowled earlier.

- Doug Bowled better than his figures suggested. As did Mick Lewis. Mick especially was tough to get away early. Still, that was only due to his accuracy; he was largely unthreatening and don't think he beat the bat. There was one catch dropped off his bowling off Attapatu at gully but that would have been an amazing catch had it been dragged in.