• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
But think of it from an Aussie view point ...what suits them best ...definitely not a turner...that's hedging bets on Murali v Macgill ... it suits them best to play on a real seamer with the 4 quicks , win the toss and put SL in and start their first innings by Tea on Day 1 .....so that they build a sizeable first innings lead and finish the Test by Day 4 and don't need to bat on a 4th innings... that's their strategy as I see it...:)

Athlai

Not Terrible
But think of it from an Aussie view point ...what suits them best ...definitely not a turner...that's hedging bets on Murali v Macgill ... it suits them best to play on a real seamer with the 4 quicks , win the toss and put SL in and start their first innings by Tea on Day 1 .....so that they build a sizeable first innings lead and finish the Test by Day 4 and don't need to bat on a 4th innings... that's their strategy as I see it...:)
Almost certainly but I feel both have some high quality bowling attacks.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Lee + Clark > Malinga + Vaas
Johnson v Dilhara is probably equal .
So I agree with Pasag ...Aussies seam quartet is definitely far stronger than the SL ones ..and the SL seamers need to get used to the conditions ...easier said ....so there you go...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
45 posts in this thread, the poll thread and a series prediction of 1-1. Never seen you so pumped up Jason. :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Johnson v Dilhara is probably equal .
So I agree with Pasag ...Aussies seam quartet is definitely far stronger than the SL ones ..and the SL seamers need to get used to the conditions ...easier said ....so there you go...

Having trouble agreeing with it really, I feel if something were to go wrong for the bowlers I'd much rather the latter pair. Assuming Australia get on top early then the former though.

I wouldn't say that the Aussie seamers are a far better attack, just a little bit, yet as you also mentioned they are at home and these are the conditions they are used too, which is another point to their favour. Sri Lanka do have a very nice looking attack though (better than probably any other country ATM IMO (besides perhaps SA , AUS and full strength. PAK and ENG which will never happen anyway).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
45 posts in this thread, the poll thread and a series prediction of 1-1. Never seen you so pumped up Jason. :)
I am really looking forward to Murali finally meeting the challenge in the land of his Nemesis....(Darrell Hair:laugh: :laugh: )

Laurrz

International Debutant
While Lee > Malinga the gap is growing shorter as time goes on and Malinga > Tait IMO.
Vaas = Clark.

Fernando may be a weak link here but lately he's been excellent, I think Johnson will likely be in the squad and if Fernando delivers as much as he promises I feel that he equals Johnson too.
i feel the right way to compare these bowlers is like this

Lee > Malinga (although not confidently)

Johnson Vaas... i cant compare these two...since Vaas is not the force he once was and is more of a workhorse... whereas Midge if he bowled like he did in the ODI's (harder done than said) will be much more of a handful at the GABBA (home ground!)

Clark > Fernando
and this is where the difference lies IMO.. Clark is quite pacey then most people think.. he is tall.. accurate.. has a lot of tricks like yorkers and bouncers and off/legcutters.. can swing it too if conditions suit... as well as reverse swing
Fernando is quite one dimensional from what i've seen although he has a better slower ball which is more effective in ODI's anyway

The bowling is definitely not Sri Lanka's main problem going into this IMO.
agreed.. if Lanka are gonna lose heavily it will be because of the batting..the bowling will probably match aussies but because of the aussie batting lineup we may not notice it..
but they can certainly make us collapse..and i fear Gilly as good as he is, isn't as good as before..but still good :happy:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaas and Lee should be the first ones being compared as they are both the senior members of each team's attack. And personally I'd pick Vaas ahead of Lee in my side any day.

Malinga & Clark. Clark is steady, and get get you big hauls as well as keeping it tight which means he more than likely gets the nod over Malinga.

Fernando & Johnson. As far as test match cricket goes it's really unfair to compare the two as one hasn't even played test cricket yet.

MacGill v Murli. Depends on which way you see it. If I had to choose between the two, I wouldn't. I'd pick both.

Mister Wright

Got me thinking, if I had to pick a combined side before the tour started I'd go with something like this:

Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Sangakkara
Jayawardne
Clarke
Gilchrist
Vaas
Clark
MacGill
Murali

Athlai

Not Terrible
Didn't really think about team balance. Just who are the best players. Two quality spinners will get you wickets no matter what the conditions of the pitch.
A good point but I'd probably call for Lee or Malinga over Macgill, but I spose I haven't seen to much of the man. What with Warne and all.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tharanga and Vandort are mutually exclusive events in terms of being picked for the SL side. I'd love Tharanga to come good and be consistent but he's been dreadful of late. Vandort has shown the potential and has delivered on it consistently (all be it mostly against weak opposition). But more than that he has the right technique and attributes to be successful in Australian conditions; he's tall, plays well on the back foot and has a mental grit that few Sri Lankan batsmen have ever show. I also recall his sole outing in the VB series against Australia in Australia a few years ago. It was dire - he scored a 40-odd off close to a hundred balls (if not more) as everyone around him crumbled. It showed two things. One he clearly isn't made for ODI's, and two, he could play an important role in a Sri Lankan Test team. Since then he’s done quite well in Tests, but this is going to be the acid test.

I don’t quite understand some of the selections made for this tour though. For instance Samaraweera has been a good servant for SL Cricket and he recently put up some numbers, but why is he there at the expense of Dilshan? If anything he should be there at the expense of Mubarak – who shouldn’t be even mentioned at a selection table without bursts of laughter following. It would have also been a strong message to Tharanga had he been left out of the squad all together seeing as both Jayasuriya and Atapattu are precent in the touring party. I fear that a lot of young SL players are being mollycoddled simply because they are the future. A number of these young guys have no hunger for accomplishment, nor the stomach for a tussle.

The batting in the biggest issue though. They can do wonders on their day but they fall in a heap on others. It seems like less of late but it’s my single biggest concern. Our blokes seem to have the propensity to be easily rattled by early wickets. Particularly if Jayasuriya is dismissed early. That’s why I feel its imperative that he bats in the lower-middle order.

Australia would be best severed playing Macgill on whatever surface they play on. He’d get turn on an icerink. Additionally, lot of people seem to have the idea that Sri Lankan’s are fine players of spin. Wrong. Fifteen plus years ago when the likes of De Silva and Runatunga were still around, it was true. Now? Not so much. There aren’t any many good players of leg-spin, if any in this present Sri Lankan squad. Jayawardene is the only one who’s equipped to play a leggy of Macgill’s quality. Silva has the technique, but he hasn’t got the experience.

The SL bowling attack is easily the best we’ve ever produced. I think they will do a fair job. However, I just can’t foresee them to have much success against the Australian top order. The key will be Malinga with the old ball with a bit of reverse, along with Muralitharan. If the other bowlers workaround them, we’re in with a chance.

My XI would be:
Michael Vandort
Marvan Atapattu
Kumar Sangakkara
Mahela Jayawardene
Sanath Jayasuriya
Chamara Silva
Farveez Maharoof
Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga
Dilhara Fernando
Muttiah Muralitharan

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I dread the thought of a batsman being sacrificed for the sake of having Maharoof in the squad....SL batting is the weak point not the bowling...so in that case why add another donkey bowler like Maharoof who really should not be picked in Test squads at all...If he is,then the Aussies will be extremely grateful that they can get a few free runs in a gift parcel all readily gift wrapped for their enjoyment...:laugh:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Vaas and Lee should be the first ones being compared as they are both the senior members of each team's attack. And personally I'd pick Vaas ahead of Lee in my side any day.
Anywhere but Australia, yeah. Vaas will get nothing on the flat wickets here, at least Lee will get some pace and bounce, even if they're both mediocre. Vaas is a better batsman but not by a massive margin.

pasag

RTDAS
I dread the thought of a batsman being sacrificed for the sake of having Maharoof in the squad....SL batting is the weak point not the bowling...so in that case why add another donkey bowler like Maharoof who really should not be picked in Test squads at all...If he is,then the Aussies will be extremely grateful that they can get a few free runs in a gift parcel all readily gift wrapped for their enjoyment...:laugh:
Yeah agree with that, I wouldn't go in with five if the fifth is Maharoof either.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I thought about it a fair bit. Regardless of any batting weakness, we still have to bowl Australia out twice. Vaas, Malinga, Fernando + Muralitharan, are simply not enough. Don't be fooled. When (not if) the SL batting line-up gets gutted by the Australian bowling attack, an extra batsmen will be of little consequence. Let’s be realistic about this - should Atapattu, Sangakkara, Jayawardene and Jayasuriya fail, the match is forfeit. Vandort, Silva, Tharanga, (P) Jayawardene, Samaraweera and Mubarak, aren't likely to win a test, much less even turn one. If they do, its fantastic, but the onus is on the former group of players, not the latter. :laugh: .

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Anywhere but Australia, yeah. Vaas will get nothing on the flat wickets here, at least Lee will get some pace and bounce, even if they're both mediocre. Vaas is a better batsman but not by a massive margin.
Wouldn't be surprised if Vaas takes the most wickets of the seamers.

pasag

RTDAS
I thought about it a fair bit. Regardless of any batting weakness, we still have to bowl Australia out twice. Vaas, Malinga, Fernando + Muralitharan, are simply not enough. Your ignorance is quite profound. When (not if) the SL batting line-up gets gutted by the Australian bowling attack, an extra batsmen will be of little consequence. Let’s be realistic about this - should Atapattu, Sangakkara, Jayawardene and Jayasuriya fail, the match is forfeit. Vandort, Silva, Tharanga, (P) Jayawardene, Samaraweera and Mubarak, aren't likely to win a test, much less even turn one. If they do, its fantastic, but the onus is on the former group of players, not the latter. :laugh: .
Not called for.