• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Like the look of the Chairmen Side should be a really good Test for our boys.
I think Murali will play in this one and possibly rest the next one.

So my thoughts on likely Sri Lanka line up

Atapattu
Vandort
Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Mahela
Sangakkara
Prasanna J (as wicket keeper-to avoid Sanga the stress of keeping)
Maharoof or Welagedera
Vaas
Dilhara
Murali

Nishan

U19 Cricketer

Atapattu
Vandort
Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Mahela
Sangakkara
Maharoof or Welagedera
Vaas
Dilhara
Murali

Yup this game we give all the boys a go, speically Marvan and Murali and welegedra. I also will have Bandara try and win this game to gain some confidence although very hard in 3 days against a soild side.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup this game we give all the boys a go, speically Marvan and Murali and welegedra. I also will have Bandara try and win this game to gain some confidence although very hard in 3 days against a soild side.
It will be good if both sides decide to play 13 ie 11 bat and 11 bowl with 2 alternates...

then SL will possibly play both Maharoof and Welagedera and also include Chamara Silva.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
IMHO, If Macgill does not make it, Aussie selectors should go for Brad Hogg, whose experience is immense and whever SL has played him, he has always troubled them and taken wickets (even though they were only ODIs).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, Warne and McGrath would have stopped taking wickets if I were coach during that period? The Waugh boys would have stopped scoring runs? My view is that Australia succeeded despite Buchanan, not because of him. That he gave us computer technology has, in my view, a negligible bearing on whether he was a good coach. Certainly, the greatest cricketer of modern times, and a guy who played under him (Warne) thinks he was an absolute dud.
Warne thinks a lot of fairly dud thoughts TBH. :p Stephen Waugh and Gilchrist both spoke highly of Buchanan UIMM and both certainly have a case for being as great cricketers as Warne.

For me, Australia could probably have succeeded during Buchanan's tenure had a chimp replaced him, but I don't think they succeded in spite of him TBH. I think he did some good work, even if he went too far on the eccentric ideas of times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I love Andy and have never been Bing's biggest fan, but Lee > Bichel.
Hmm. Debatable TBH. Neither are exactly the greatest bowler ever to walk this Earth or even close, but really I see Bichel as a sort of less-favoured Lee without the sensational start. Knock-off Lee's first 9 Tests or whatever it was and their careers are broadly very similar - the odd inspirational moment mixed with lots of mediocrity. Bichel probably had more inspirational moments than Lee too.
FWIW, how many Test wickets do you reckon SCG would have by now if it weren't for Warne Rich, given that he's got 200 despite playing many fewer Tests than he might have expected to play in most other eras?
I'm obviously talking proper Tests, so he's only really got 154 in those terms. At more than 30 each.

I also think he'd have been out much quicker had Warne not been around, because he'd have had the chance to get belted more often than he did. Not that any other spinner would likely have done any better, but plenty would probably have been tried. I reckon MacGill's average would be late-30s or so had Warne not been around.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm obviously talking proper Tests, so he's only really got 154 in those terms. At more than 30 each.

I also think he'd have been out much quicker had Warne not been around, because he'd have had the chance to get belted more often than he did. Not that any other spinner would likely have done any better, but plenty would probably have been tried. I reckon MacGill's average would be late-30s or so had Warne not been around.
Post moved to Joke of the Day thread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Atapattu
Vandort
Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Mahela
Sangakkara
Maharoof or Welagedera
Vaas
Dilhara
Murali
That's certainly the strongest opening combo I can imagine and the one I hope plays in the Tests, but it does look odd with four openers in the same side. :huh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I also will have Bandara try and win this game to gain some confidence although very hard in 3 days against a soild side.
In all honesty, I really cannot see Bandara playing unless Murali gets injured.

So really having him on this leg of the Trip (for Tests) is a waste. I would try and play the others who may indeed end up playing in the Test.

As far as Tests go , Herath seems a better wicket taker, and I thought he would have made it as support bowler for Murali (if Murali was not able to play) rather than Bandara.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
That's certainly the strongest opening combo I can imagine and the one I hope plays in the Tests, but it does look odd with four openers in the same side. :huh:
Hopefully if all 4 get in the runs, then selectors will have a nice headache deciding which 3 of the 4 should play or if all 4 should play. In which case (if all 4 play) its quite likely Jayasuriya and Tharanga will have to get used to coming down the order rather than opening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd like best to see Ataptattu and Vandort at the top, Jayawardene at three, Tharanga four, Sangakkara five (and with the gloves), Jayasuriya six and Samaraweera seven. That looks the strongest to me. In the Tests, that is - happy for Prasanna J to play in the warm-ups to relieve him of the duty, hopefully in place of someone who'll play and score in the other game. Maybe Samaraweera once and Tharanga once?

And I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope Atapattu scores in these tour-games and in the Tests.

sunilreddy

Banned
Tharanga/Vandort
Jayasuriya
Atapattu
Sangakkara
Jayawardene. Mahela
Jayawardene.Prasanna
Vaas
Murali
Fernando
Malinga

I think both Vandort and Tharanga will find difficult to bat in Australian conditions. But I can not sacrifice Atapattu by asking him to open the batting.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tharanga/Vandort
Jayasuriya
Atapattu
Sangakkara
Jayawardene. Mahela
Jayawardene.Prasanna
Vaas
Murali
Fernando
Malinga

I think both Vandort and Tharanga will find difficult to bat in Australian conditions. But I can not sacrifice Atapattu by asking him to open the batting.
Thats only 10 players unless you meant both Vandort and Tharanga to play.
I doubt Malinga will be wasted on this game and one feels Vaas will probably play here and rest next game.

Atapattu is going to have to open at the top of the innings , something he has done successfully in the past.

Samaraweera might be played, but if he does then Sanga may have to keep as well. leaving Prasanna j out for this game.

sunilreddy

Banned
Thats only 10 players unless you meant both Vandort and Tharanga to play.
I doubt Malinga will be wasted on this game and one feels Vaas will probably play here and rest next game.

Atapattu is going to have to open at the top of the innings , something he has done successfully in the past.

Samaraweera might be played, but if he does then Sanga may have to keep as well. leaving Prasanna j out for this game.

Sorry the other one is Chamara.Silva

Samaraweera will be good option when playing on sub-contient pitches but on hard bouncy wickets he will not serve that better.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I've not called him - so much as once - < Lee, Johnson and Tait.

But I have said he's nowhere near as good as some claim, and certainly not if-Warne-hadn't-existed-he'd-have-500-Test-wickets material.

A decent seamer (eg - Reiffel, Fleming, Kasprowicz - heck even Bichel) > MacGill.
Haha. Gotta love Johnson and Tait not being "decent". I suppose Johnson bowls above 130 kph, so you'll think he's overrated by default unless he takes 300 test wickets @ 20. Well, even then it'll probably be luck.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Attapattu is seriously the most boring player to watch IMO.
Certanily in the modern day batting he could be classified as boring, but he is the type of batsman that is very hard to find in this day and age like Kallis and Dravid.

I dont classify them as boring, i like to watch them bat for hours

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would like to watch him, except it's not often he does bat for hours, and hence it ends up as frustrating.