• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Philpson isn't injuried it was a joke IMO that Plant was selected ahead of him.
Philipson isn't injured, he played in the one day game last night. He is out of favour for Qld in the first class arena though, but you're right he should have got a game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
According to reports, this game wasn't originally scheduled. Good on Sri Lanka for requesting it, and Cricket Australia helping them get the match organized. Hopefully it will be a good game for all involved.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is it going to be a 15-a-side one or a proper First-Class game?

(Or do we not know that yet?)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is it going to be a 15-a-side one or a proper First-Class game?

(Or do we not know that yet?)
Well, the Chairman's XI is only eleven players at this stage. I would have thought that SL would maybe use 12, and at worse 13, players in the match.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
John Buchanan in the Courier Mail today reckons Simon Katich is the bolter to open with Hayden in the 1st Test:

"I think a lot of people have forgotten about Simon in this whole debate about openers".

Seriously, this guy is off the planet. He is a danger to Australian cricket. I am sick to death of his left-field theories, and off-beat suggestions. It's almost like he considers that the obvious is just not good enough for him. He has to say off-beat things just to distinguish himself from the mob.
Buchanan is will respected and a good thinker - he does have a point re Katich for test squad. One of the main reasons why Aus have been so dominant in past 7 years is bcos of his "left-field theories, and off-beat suggestions" as you state. For example, Buchanan was the first to use computer analysis to pin point issues - he was ridiculed by many ex-test players for it, but now it is widespread in its use. Even the ECB has now dicated (and funded) the software for the counties to capture every ball being bowled at first class level so that the fringe players can be analysed - this is called progress!

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
That FoxSports article isn't extremely well written. Those exact quotes and more are used in the SMH and I didn't quite get that impression.

SMH also said that if MacGill is not passed fit, Cullen would be the most likely replacement. So my question to my fellow Webheads is if MacGill is not fit, who should play instead of him? An extra pacer? Or Hea... another spinner?

After Cullen's good showing on the Aus A tour to Pak, he will get the nod if Macgill is unfit. Its highly unlikely Aus will play 4 pacies - a high risk venture esp. if the SL top order see off the new ball and then get stuck into the pacies late in the day.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Buchanan is will respected and a good thinker - he does have a point re Katich for test squad. One of the main reasons why Aus have been so dominant in past 7 years is bcos of his "left-field theories, and off-beat suggestions" as you state. For example, Buchanan was the first to use computer analysis to pin point issues - he was ridiculed by many ex-test players for it, but now it is widespread in its use. Even the ECB has now dicated (and funded) the software for the counties to capture every ball being bowled at first class level so that the fringe players can be analysed - this is called progress!
Was reading an article in last week's Green Guide where they talked to Ricky Ponting about the technology that the Australian side uses. Cricket Australia all provide them with PSPs now, so they can watch video on the go - when travelling on buses, or planes, and stuff. Anything from broken down shots with a technical emphasis, past innings, detailed plans for the opposition, anything.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was reading an article in last week's Green Guide where they talked to Ricky Ponting about the technology that the Australian side uses. Cricket Australia all provide them with PSPs now, so they can watch video on the go - when travelling on buses, or planes, and stuff. Anything from broken down shots with a technical emphasis, past innings, detailed plans for the opposition, anything.
Real shame it wasn't happening 50 years ago TBH.

BTW - video on buses? :sick:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its highly unlikely Aus will play 4 pacies - a high risk venture esp. if the SL top order see off the new ball and then get stuck into the pacies late in the day.
It's a high-risk strategy playing a rubbish spinner too - if the SL top-order see-off the new-ball they'll get stuck into the seamers and the spinner late in the day.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FFS 200 odd wickets at a good rate. MacGill not a rubbish spinner. Yeah he might give away the odd four, but not as many as Lee, Johnson or Tait. Should be the 2nd bowler selected for Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't mind watching video moving. I hate reading text in cars or buses, makes me feel really ill.
Haha. Lucky for some.

I tend to get travelsick unless I either
a) am driving
b) am right at the front of whatever vehicle I'm in
c) have taken a very strong travelsickness-antidote

As for watching video \ reading - never, ever, ever. I once got travelsick reading number-plates over a 5-minute period FFS.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS 200 odd wickets at a good rate. MacGill not a rubbish spinner. Yeah he might give away the odd four, but not as many as Lee, Johnson or Tait. Should be the 2nd bowler selected for Australia.
I've not called him - so much as once - < Lee, Johnson and Tait.

But I have said he's nowhere near as good as some claim, and certainly not if-Warne-hadn't-existed-he'd-have-500-Test-wickets material.

A decent seamer (eg - Reiffel, Fleming, Kasprowicz - heck even Bichel) > MacGill.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've not called him - so much as once - < Lee, Johnson and Tait.

But I have said he's nowhere near as good as some claim, and certainly not if-Warne-hadn't-existed-he'd-have-500-Test-wickets material.

A decent seamer (eg - Reiffel, Fleming, Kasprowicz - heck even Bichel) > MacGill.
I love Andy and have never been Bing's biggest fan, but Lee > Bichel.

FWIW, how many Test wickets do you reckon SCG would have by now if it weren't for Warne Rich, given that he's got 200 despite playing many fewer Tests than he might have expected to play in most other eras?

howardj

International Coach
So, Warne and McGrath would have stopped taking wickets if I were coach during that period? The Waugh boys would have stopped scoring runs? My view is that Australia succeeded despite Buchanan, not because of him. That he gave us computer technology has, in my view, a negligible bearing on whether he was a good coach. Certainly, the greatest cricketer of modern times, and a guy who played under him (Warne) thinks he was an absolute dud.