• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
MacGill was a champion bowler, the only reason MacGill didn't play more often is because of Warne. When he did get a start his record showed that he was up there with the great spinners. I think MacGill is harshly marked because of the comparison to Warne who is a once in a lifetime player, if Warne had not been born MacGill could have been one of the greatest spinners of all time.
Meh. Disagree completely, feel he was\is wholly average myself, but we all know this by now so I won't go through it all again. :)

howardj

International Coach
John Buchanan in the Courier Mail today reckons Simon Katich is the bolter to open with Hayden in the 1st Test:

"I think a lot of people have forgotten about Simon in this whole debate about openers".

Seriously, this guy is off the planet. He is a danger to Australian cricket. I am sick to death of his left-field theories, and off-beat suggestions. It's almost like he considers that the obvious is just not good enough for him. He has to say off-beat things just to distinguish himself from the mob.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: Have wondered that myself once or twice TBH. Buchanan was great when he thought out of the box; but not when he totally defied logic, yes, sometimes seemingly for the sake of it.

Bit like myself I suppose, though obviously I never really do the latter.

Why would anyone want Katich, or Watson, or Hodge, to open the batting when there are two natural, born openers perfectly positioned for the role in Jaques and Hussey?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
MacGill was a champion bowler, the only reason MacGill didn't play more often is because of Warne. When he did get a start his record showed that he was up there with the great spinners. I think MacGill is harshly marked because of the comparison to Warne who is a once in a lifetime player, if Warne had not been born MacGill could have been one of the greatest spinners of all time.

The reason Kaspa didn't play more often is because players from other states were favoured ahead of him when he was bowling well. The only way Kaspa could even get a look in was when he averaged 8 with the ball for the season and demanded selection.
AWTA

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
From all reports, can be pretty temperamental (sp). Players talk about him being very angry about misfields off his own bowling, moreso than others. I think those who first come across him find him a bit off-putting; it seems as though those who have played with him a lot know what to expect from him, and it's not nearly as big a deal.
especially when he's not Rciky Ponting in the field himself - often a bit slow to get up to the stumps to take return throws...

howardj

International Coach
:laugh: Have wondered that myself once or twice TBH. Buchanan was great when he thought out of the box; but not when he totally defied logic, yes, sometimes seemingly for the sake of it.

Bit like myself I suppose, though obviously I never really do the latter.

Why would anyone want Katich, or Watson, or Hodge, to open the batting when there are two natural, born openers perfectly positioned for the role in Jaques and Hussey?
Yeah, what about DiVenuto or Borgas to open the batting in place of Langer. That's off-beat, left-field. Must mean I'm a genius. I mean, if you asked people who Australia's best spinner was in the last fifteen years, the obvious answer wouldn't be good enough for Buchanan. Just to distinguish himself from the mob, he'd go for someone like MacIntyre or Gavin Robertson. Seriously, the guy is so off-beat that he's actually predictible.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, they must feel great that they made it because they weren't selected for their state. Wonder how different the team would be if all state players were available.
Mood kill-er. Just stoked Heal gets a chance to play against Sri Lanka, albeit in Adelaide. Cool to see Ronchi and Bollinger in there aswell.