• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

stumpski

International Captain
Surprised nobody's reviewed 'Bodyline Autopsy' on here - one of the most important cricket books of recent years - and one of the very best. Archie?

archie mac

International Coach
Surprised nobody's reviewed 'Bodyline Autopsy' on here - one of the most important cricket books of recent years - and one of the very best. Archie?
Yes a great book, I read it a few years ago, but I have read so many books on Bodyline I will get a bit mixed up on which book says what:wacko:

It should be up on our site though:)

stumpski

International Captain
I will get around to it in a week or three if you like, but I'd want to read it again. After 'Fatty' the next one I write for you will be David Foot's biography of Walter Hammond 'The Reasons Why.'

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has anybody read Mark Richardson's autobiography entitled "Thinking Negatively"? Seen it today but was a little on the expensive side.

pasag

RTDAS
Started Masters of Cricket and it had this great paragraph right at the beginning I thought I'd share:

I never saw Trumper bat; I was only a few years old when he died. But so often have I listened to stories of him, so often have I seen a new light come into the eyes of people at the mention of his name, so much have I read of him, that I am prepared to believe that nobody, before or since, ever achieved the standards of batsmanship set by Trumper. Sir Pelham Warner, Warren Bardsley, Vernon Ransford and others saw all the great moderns and near-moderns – Bradman, Ponsford, Hobbs, Hammond, Hutton, Compton, McCabe and the like – yet there was more than loyalty to their own generation when they cast their minds back over the years and said, ‘There will never be another like Vic.’

Many players, it is true, made more runs; but runs can never be accepted as the true indication of a player’s greatness. A fighting innings of thirty or so under difficult conditions is lost in cold statistics, yet its merits far outweigh many staid (and unnecessary) centuries that are recorded for all time. The longer I live, I am pleased to say, the less nationalistic I become. The outcome of a match is interesting but not, on the scales of time, of any great moment. What IS important is whether a particular contest gives to posterity a challenge that is accepted and won, or yields in classical technique an innings or a bowling effort that makes the game richer, so that the devotee can say years afterwards, with joy in his voice, ‘I saw that performance.’

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
There are plenty of good judges who'd call Jack Fingleton the finest cricket writer Australia has ever produced, and reading that you can see why. A wonderful passage.