• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Prince, come on man, clearly Pakistan have to go for it. Its called a 'test series' for a reason.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Younis gets the century. What a gun.

Pakistan doing the grafting here to secure the draw, and the chances of a win are slowly but surely slipping away.

pup11

International Coach
I think Pakistan should have played some aggressive cricket right from start of today's play, they should have tried to force themselves into a position from where they could have won the game, even if that could have resulted in them losing this test as it hardly matters whether they lose the series 1-0 or 2-0.
Nonetheless good knock from Younus!

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I'd like to think that somewhere there's a large table in the sky, where the result of every Test match, dead or otherwise is recorded. In the end this table will be used to compile the ranking of every country to play in the history of Test cricket. Above these rankings will be written in gilded letters: 2 points for a loss, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss. It brings me great comfort to believe in such a thing, I don't see why you'd like to take that away from someone.
It should be 3 points for a win to encourage both teams in situations like this to go for the win.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Pakistan on double Nelson for 2 at Lunch, with just 46 overs left and the RRR at over 5 I think any Pakistan victory is unlikely. 9 wickets in that time is more likely, but is by no means easy.

A few quick wickets will change things up quite a bit, but I think this is heading for a draw.

Beleg

International Regular
46 is the minimum amount of overs that's left.

I definitely see Pakistan going for it after lunch.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I mean why does 5 per over sound too tough? Even if they are chasing 120 with 20 overs left I think they could make it provided they had atleast 6 wickets left..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love Younis Khan. What a gun. Plays the game in the right spirit, and generally goes about his business without much attention (generally, discarding the captaincy debacle).

Hope he goes on and takes Pakistan to victory.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The goal, stated or not, of every Test playing nation is to ascend to the top of the ICC Test Rankings in order to claim the title of best Test team in the world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that according to those rankings, the difference between a 2-0 series and a 1-0 series is considered the same as the difference between a 1-0 series and a 1-1 series.
I see what you're saying mate, but I honestly believe that the day a Test team doesn't at least attempt to win a Test match and square a series in favour of playing out a series-losing draw and protecting ICC rankings points is the day they should think about a new career as far away from Test cricket as possible.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What a disgraceful performance.
That may or may not be an exaggeration, but one thing for sure is that they are doing what makes SA happy and any time you do what the other team wants then you are pretty much failing.

Beleg

International Regular
I cannot emphasize this enough - what a disgraceful performance.

Edit: Congragulations to South Africa, they performed, they had the right mentallity - they won.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Congratulations to South Africa for a well deserved series win. It's not easy to win in the subcontinent (though it's getting easier and easier to do so in Pakistan) and they deserve all sorts of kudos. Count me as being disappointed that Pakistan didn't push for the win in this Test. I'm in the Beleg/SS crowd which would rather lose by a high margin than secure a meaningless draw. Also, very sad for Inzi that he couldn't retire on a high. What I wouldn't give to have seen a hundred from him! Alas, it was not to be. I'd say it again…so long Inzi and thanks for the memories.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I cannot emphasize this enough - what a disgraceful performance.

Edit: Congragulations to South Africa, they performed, they had the right mentallity - they won.
Why is Pakistan's not going for the runs more disgraceful than South Africa not going for the wickets.