• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
It's one of those things which could be taken a number of different ways, and could perhaps have been meant innocently but probably wasn't. Essentially the "what's racist about calling someone a monkey" argument is the sort of thing you see peddled to defend racist supporters in Australia, and it doesn't really hold up. I doubt they'd have made monkey noises at Ponting, and he actually looks like one.
Although i strongly condemn what the indian crowds did, i was just curious to compare symonds with monkey. Boy they look similar.. Take it jovially guys.No harsh feelings.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bloody piss poor effort, by both the Indian team, and the Indian fans (first the bottle throwing, now the monkey calls).

So disappointing.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody piss poor effort, by both the Indian team, and the Indian fans (first the bottle throwing, now the monkey calls).

So disappointing.
I remember when we were very young, we would throw orange peels etcat players close to the fence and try to be more witty than the next boy in mocking the player concerned in calling him things from 'India Gate' if he let a ball go throw him, 'Lala' if he was portly, and even sing appropriate songs from movies. If the player started clearing his area of the orange peels we would shout things like ,"Isko ghar main jharoo ponchhe pe laga dete hain" (lets hire him to clean up the house). It was all silly childish fun.

I dont recall hurling abuse or anything racial (werent familiar with the term frankly) or which could hurt. I am sure if we went beyond such harmless stuff, the elders around us would admonish us and stop us.

Somewhere along the line the silly stuff became 'sillier and worse', the orange peels became oranges, then harder fruits and then bottles and the uncles and aunties stopped admonishing the kids and started joining in with their better throwing arms and better vovabulories.

Evolution of civilisation.

pup11

International Coach
:@ Pathetic stuff from the Indian fans they are a bunch of sore losers, racially abusing anyone even if the guy is Symmo is just not on, so the officials need to take some appropriate actions.

Craig

World Traveller
It won't happen for obvious and logistical reason, but what I like to see is that India be forced to play an ODI behind closed doors IE no fans allowed in. Like what happens in football when the fans starting like a bunch of tools and throw stuff onto the ground.

Now that would send a message out and what I would do if I was in charge.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It won't happen for obvious and logistical reason, but what I like to see is that India be forced to play an ODI behind closed doors IE no fans allowed in. Like what happens in football when the fans starting like a bunch of tools and throw stuff onto the ground.

Come on. I have very strongly criticised the behaviour of the Indian fans at Baroda and am not going to justify on their behalf but you can stop adopting this holier than thou attitude. Fans, very unfortunately, are becoming worse in their behaviour, particularly in the sub continent and Australia and , even more unfortunatley, authorities (including those in Australia) seem to be reluctant to take action.

This is terrible behaviour by fans and should be condemned as such but without making it sound as if one set of fans need to be dealt with differently than another.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Nah.

Craig

World Traveller
Come on. I have very strongly criticised the behaviour of the Indian fans at Baroda and am not going to justify on their behalf but you can stop adopting this holier than thou attitude. Fans, very unfortunately, are becoming worse in their behaviour, particularly in the sub continent and Australia and , even more unfortunatley, authorities (including those in Australia) seem to be reluctant to take action.

This is terrible behaviour by fans and should be condemned as such but without making it sound as if one set of fans need to be dealt with differently than another.
Well I would do it with all grounds anywhere. You should know I harbour dictatorship-like dreams.

If that can't work, a fine will do. Better?

pasag

RTDAS
It's one isolated incident though, there's not really any need for widespread action above finding the culprits and handing out bans or whatever.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well I would do it with all grounds anywhere. You should know I harbour dictatorship-like dreams.

If that can't work, a fine will do. Better?
I completely endorse that.

I know many innocent fans will suffer but there isn't an alternative to check this menace. There should be no place for hooligans in the sport. The innocent fans might be better off watching on TV at home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why is that a calamity? and its not to be a ban for ever.

Same for Eden Gardens Calcutta if they dont behave or insist on setting stands on fire :@ And Eden Garden is no different from MCG in stature.
I remember posting about the deteriorating behaviour of Indian fans in some thread sometime back, possibly the WEst Indies in India thread in January this year. I talked about how I felt, even though the crowd was mostly sporting as usual and were enjoying good cricket, there were times when it seemed as though they were losing it, when India were not doing well. It was happening in Chennai, perhaps the most sporting crowd in India and one of the best in the world according to most cricketers who have played here. I mean, it wasn't really more than a 10 people who were creating a bit of trouble and were promptly dealt with but also, in the crowd of about 45000 people, it just seeemed to me a good 10,000 people or so were just too impatient about the game. Everytime a West Indian player hit a boundary or got a wicket, there was a bit of silence and at times, even slight booing. Everytime India went through an over without a boundary when batting, same restlessness was evident amongst those 10k guys in the crowd. It just seems to me that today's software powered people, esp. the big shots are getting less and less patient about sports and any day that their team doesn't win, they seem to think it is a tragedy.

If that is the case in a place like Chennai, I am not too much surprised that this is what is happening elsewhere in India, in centres which are supposed to be "less" sporting as far as the crowds are concerned.

biased indian

International Coach
Why is that a calamity? and its not to be a ban for ever.

Same for Eden Gardens Calcutta if they dont behave or insist on setting stands on fire :@ And Eden Garden is no different from MCG in stature.
i thought setting stands on fire was a nice thing :)

since more than 50% of the stands at eden garden is concreate and i have never heard
any one having hurt becuse of that..fans burning the paper at the end of a D/N game was a nice thing to see ..as long as it was not too much..