• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

pasag

RTDAS
For some reason I never noticed before today but Johnson actually has a very strong physique lol....I always thought he was slim like a Brett Lee or Gillespie but he's actually more in the build of Symonds or Watson.
Not that its relevant at all lol

ftr

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What the hell? I'd rather see empty stadiums than this crap. Completely unacceptable. Next time, the police should be told to charge in and rifle butt anyone remotely responsible. Complete and utter fools. The hosting board needs to apologize, and the venue needs to be put on probation, so that if it happens again there, their ability to host matches is suspended. When the incentive is losing your main source of income, I'm sure they'll come up with creative ways to stop this crap.
u know, that is how it used to be in Indian venues... I have seen ppl who get into much lesser insults at the players being taken out of venues in India... Dunno how this was let to happen, tbh.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
well, first of all thanks to Sean, yourself and Prince... I now get the idea.

But I am really shocked that a crowd in India knows about these things. I don't know... I guess we will never know unless we were there, but my gut feeling says that they were just calling him monkey etc. as we always do with someone. I mean, didn't Miandad once make fun of Kiran More by calling him monkey?

Please don't get the wrong idea here, guys... I think it should be nipped in the bud here if it was racism, but I just think we should not lose sight of the alternative, as Sherlock Holmes would put it. :)

But honestly, even if it wasn't done with racist intent, it should be cut down as it is very cheap and is in extremely poor taste. And if it was racist, well then, we have one more addition to the ills in Indian society.... :(

Hope the authorities take necessary action.
Don't be so naive mate. It was a racist taunt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, it's one of those things that regardless of how it was meant, it should be punished all the same. And it's too much of a coincidence that Symonds alone should be picked out, so I don't have any doubts as to what they meant and what they were doing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol, sorry man, but I juz felt that I hadn't heard of it, so there would be many people who wouldn't have too... Of course, it is probably a racist taunt, but in India, you will find that the most common insult is calling someone a monkey... We do that while sledging opposition players in our weekend matches. As I said, it probably wasn't the case there, but it could have been and that is all I am saying.

Anyways, all this is not important as even I think that it was a racist taunt most probably and the authorities should do the needful to make sure it doesn't happen again. Quite aghast that racism is finding its way into India, tbh...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's one of those things which could be taken a number of different ways, and could perhaps have been meant innocently but probably wasn't. Essentially the "what's racist about calling someone a monkey" argument is the sort of thing you see peddled to defend racist supporters in Australia, and it doesn't really hold up. I doubt they'd have made monkey noises at Ponting, and he actually looks like one.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's one of those things which could be taken a number of different ways, and could perhaps have been meant innocently but probably wasn't. Essentially the "what's racist about calling someone a monkey" argument is the sort of thing you see peddled to defend racist supporters in Australia, and it doesn't really hold up. I doubt they'd have made monkey noises at Ponting, and he actually looks like one.
:laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
dunno abt it, they seemed cool when Bush visited India. ;)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Having had teammates called a "white monkey" by an Indian team, I reckon that there's enough knowledge around that there is a racist undertone to the term.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty appalling behaviour - as Saggers said in his original link, there are idiots everywhere. Hope this is dealt with firmly - and that it doesn't lead to further unpleasantness. One of the nicest things you see in cricket is the nearly universally positive things visiting players have to say about Indian fans, so its a shame that that reputation has been somewhat risked by a presumalby small bunch of fools.

Anyway, on the field, Gilly gets runs just when the situation might have begun to get serious and Johnson dominates! Loving how this guy just keeps getting better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pretty appalling behaviour - as Saggers said in his original link, there are idiots everywhere. Hope this is dealt with firmly - and that it doesn't lead to further unpleasantness. One of the nicest things you see in cricket is the nearly universally positive things visiting players have to say about Indian fans, so its a shame that that reputation has been somewhat risked by a presumalby small bunch of fools.

Anyway, on the field, Gilly gets runs just when the situation might have begun to get serious and Johnson dominates! Loving how this guy just keeps getting better.
I think the reason so many people have nice stories of the Indian fans is because most of the time, the police take matters into their own hands and make sure even people who seem to be creating the least amount of trouble are firmly warned or ******ed out of the ground... I guess people have been less strict here. Arun Lal mentioned in commentary that some of the cameramen (mostly foreigners, I presume) were also hassled by the crowd. Not good at all, may need to the Baroda officials that matches won't be played there if it continues along this path.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
iam also enjoying pakistan getting buried by south africa. Atleast india won one match. Pakistan won none.
now I hope you guys understand why I raised the point in that other thread about Sreesanth's behaviour. It gets on people's nerves when you keep saying stuff like "team x should lose, plz God" etc... I honestly don't see why one has to be so perverse in such a thing like sports... Whoever plays well, wins. We all have our likes and dislikes, but why hate a team or nation so much? Surely it can be put out in a forum in a better manner, at least, instead of putting insulting stuff about the team itself and sometimes, about its supporters.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
now I hope you guys understand why I raised the point in that other thread about Sreesanth's behaviour. It gets on people's nerves when you keep saying stuff like "team x should lose, plz God" etc... I honestly don't see why one has to be so perverse in such a thing like sports... Whoever plays well, wins. We all have our likes and dislikes, but why hate a team or nation so much? Surely it can be put out in a forum in a better manner, at least, instead of putting insulting stuff about the team itself and sometimes, about its supporters.
Completely agree with the sentiment. Its about time we grew up as fans.